Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Match indoor paint color

On 10/22/2011 4:30 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:59 pm, wrote:
On 10/22/2011 11:40 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Oct 22, 3:01 am, wrote:
On 10/21/2011 8:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

This is top quality and a bit spendy but you will love the results, one
coat is way less work (URL probably will wrap):

http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/o...r_paints/manor...

John

Tx, John. Appreciate the referral. There's no dealership near me,
which does make me wonder a little. Also, their Web site emphasizes
trim, while I am looking for walls. However, every bit of info
helps. I will call them to see if they use the Analyzer.

HB

I used it for an accent wall, about 170 sq' in one coat. A light
silver-blue color in eggshell over a light peach satin. It took less
than a 1/2 gallon - one coat on textured plaster, just a few dots here
and there (due to cheapo roller no doubt) to touch up. By the way, a
flashlight works well to find the little suckers ... something I should
have figured out in my 64 years but didn't ... learned just recently

I highly recommend Pittsburgh paints but I don't think they have their
own stores scattered about the country. I live in the Pittsburgh area so
its not a problem for me. If you can find it, its about $45 ~ a gallon
and worth every penny, roller or brush it spreads like a dream, covers,
and doesn't run cause it dries quickly. Look in strictly paint stores
for someone that carries it - big-box is probably a non-starter.

John

Thanks for more info, John. There are three stores in the area -- not close, but at least one is do-able.
You are making a strong case for this paint!

Question: I said the Web site emphasized trim. But you reported using it for an "äcccent wall".
Was it treated like trim? Did you use semi-gloss, or...?

TIA

HB

As I said its wall paint. Very good wall paint. It may be a good trim
paint if eggshell in a color is what you want for trim although it may
not wear well for trim paint as it is intended for walls where abrasion
generally isn't a problem.

Not sure what your question is?

John