Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Match indoor paint color

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

Virtually everyone has experience with the "gadget." These "gadgets"
can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmar Superstores, Ace,
Sherwin-Williams, and just about anywhere paint is sold.

The device will concoct a paint that is extremely close, if not
perfect, to the sample. Bear in mind that texture of the surface,
sheen (gloss vs. flat), undercoat*, and lighting can create a slight
perception of difference from your target color.

Buy a quart of quality tinted paint and try it out.

* If you're going to apply a primer, get it tinted the same color.

Agree to tint. Suggest to tint at 75% level. Some places have this
option. Makes enough difference to minimize misses on the first coat of
paint over primer.