Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmowing question

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:36:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Overlap the cut path. Remember the blade is only so long :-/

P.S. I do not rake mulched grass. It stays on the ground to become
nutrients.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Overlap the cut path. Remember the blade is only so long :-/

P.S. I do not rake mulched grass. It stays on the ground to become
nutrients.

Meant to add: Are you sure the blade is a mulching blade?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2011 5:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Did it do this when it was new?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. *The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. *I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear..
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? *Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. *But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Overlap the cut path. Remember the blade is only so long :-/

P.S. I do not rake mulched grass. *It stays on the ground to become
nutrients.

I agree. I had a Honda and it was the best mulcher,
cutting it into really small pieces. Mowing once a week
during peak season I had no problem leaving the grass.
I think if you want to rake you definitely don't want to
mulch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

If you are bagging go clockwise. Mulching counterclockwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have a fairly high-end Honda. I end up, about once a year, bagging the
clippings. Often, it's the first mowing of the season, since I leave it
fairly long. The mulcher is better, but the bagger works fine. I've never
had to rake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I
have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Overlap the cut path. Remember the blade is only so long :-/

P.S. I do not rake mulched grass. It stays on the ground to become
nutrients.

I do overlap, in fact I have to, or the mower chokes and dies. And if I
leave all that grass on there, it looks bad, and starts to mold. We're
talking big wads here.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I
have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

If you are bagging go clockwise. Mulching counterclockwise.

Wouldn't that depend if you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere? I
never really thought about it, but will try to be sure this next mowing.
Think I'm going to clean under the deck, as well as touch up the blade.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2011 4:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

leaving the clippings is good for the lawn. just remove the back and mow.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:11:19 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

If you are bagging go clockwise. Mulching counterclockwise.

Wouldn't that depend if you are in the Northern or Southern hemisphere? I
never really thought about it, but will try to be sure this next mowing.
Think I'm going to clean under the deck, as well as touch up the blade.

Steve

More important is the time of day. Once the sun passes its apex at
noon, you have to mow from the opposite side. I've learned to get all
the grass cutting done early or wait until late afternoon to avoid
problems.

Ever see how the ball fields have stripes in the grass? The mow the
even rows in the morning, odd rows in the afternoon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2011 8:10 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/19/2011 4:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I
have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off
it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

leaving the clippings is good for the lawn. just remove the back and mow.

back=bag. jeeeze.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 4:36*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. *The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. *I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? *Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. *But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Maybe the bag pores are clogged. Take the bag and throw it in a
wahshing machine and wash the hell out of it and then see if it
doesnt' improve air flow and clippings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 6:18*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/19/2011 8:10 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On 10/19/2011 4:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I
have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off
it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

leaving the clippings is good for the lawn. just remove the back and mow.

back=bag. *jeeeze.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Back = the clippings deflector. It goes in place of the bag. jeeze.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

My Honda is an antique with a big plastic plug that goes into the
discharge hole for mulching. Be sure there isn't one in place on
yours.

Then power wash the bag.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass
seems not to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the
mower, which I have to rake up.

Clean the fabric or canvas part of the bag so that allows more airflow.

The mower blades generate airflow which carries the grass into the bag
or container. This air must be able to freely pass into and then out of
the bag/container.

Over time, grass debris and dirt will accumulate in the
fabric/mesh/canvas part of the container, reducing air-flow capability.

And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually don't
contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon.
Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and
then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed
directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall
can be sparse).

The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the
clippings are bagged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems
not to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower,
which I have to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the
passages are clear. Should I power wash it really good to get some of
the surface crud off it? Is this normal? Is there something to set in
there that I'm not setting. If I take the bag off, there is a flap
that comes down, and I guess would mulch everything. But then, I
think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Clean the underside of the deck. Then, make sure the blade is sharp and not
installed upside down.
TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Try it without bag.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 5:36*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. *The grass seems not
to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the mower, which I have
to rake up. *I have checked underneath, and all the passages are clear.
Should I power wash it really good to get some of the surface crud off it?
Is this normal? *Is there something to set in there that I'm not setting.
If I take the bag off, there is a flap that comes down, and I guess would
mulch everything. *But then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

Steve

Dull blades are the most common cause of this followed by a clogged
bag. Sharp blades make clippings, dull blades make clumps of mush
that cant ride the wind created by the lift wings into the bag.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/20/2011 12:14 PM, beecrofter wrote:

Dull blades are the most common cause of this followed by a clogged
bag. Sharp blades make clippings, dull blades make clumps of mush
that cant ride the wind created by the lift wings into the bag.

Followed by not using bagging blades w/ the extra lift if it hasn't ever
bagged well....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I have a decent Honda self drive mower with a bagger. The grass
seems not to all go into the bagger, but leaves trails behind the
mower, which I have to rake up. I have checked underneath, and all
the passages are clear. Should I power wash it really good to get
some of the surface crud off it? Is this normal? Is there something
to set in there that I'm not setting. If I take the bag off, there is
a flap that comes down, and I guess would mulch everything. But
then, I think I'd just have more cut grass to rake.

You may be waiting until it is too long, or mowing when it is too wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually
don't contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon.
Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and
then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed
directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall
can be sparse).

There are plenty of sources that would completely disagree with this.

The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the
clippings are bagged.

No. They are the ones that get fertilized, watered,, and mowed regularly and
long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:58 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually
don't contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon.
Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and
then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed
directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall
can be sparse).

There are plenty of sources that would completely disagree with this.

The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the
clippings are bagged.

No. They are the ones that get fertilized, watered,, and mowed regularly and
long.

Long grass needs less water to keep it healthy. My mower is set at the
second-highest setting all summer. I'll go out in a week or two, after it's
completely dormant, and mow it down a notch or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually
don't contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon.
Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and
then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed
directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall
can be sparse).

There are plenty of sources that would completely disagree with this.

The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the
clippings are bagged.

No. They are the ones that get fertilized, watered,, and mowed regularly and
long.

Long grass needs less water to keep it healthy. *My mower is set at the
second-highest setting all summer. *I'll go out in a week or two, after it's
completely dormant, and mow it down a notch or two.- Hide quoted text -

Dunno if my method is good for the lawn or not. I like to mow very
low for the first time in the sping. Gets rid of all the dead stuff,
leaves that didn't get mulched, etc. Usually mow with on the middle
settings so I don't have to mow as often. But then I live in the
country so the "perfect lawn" is not one of my concerns .

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:31:36 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
[...]

It's better to get rid of a lot of the dead stuff in the fall, IMO. The grass
can then be left alone in the spring until it's got a good start. Taller
grass retains more moisture and reduces the chances of weeds getting a
foothold. "Perfect" is relative, here. A nice healthy lawn is easier to take
care of in the long run. ...assuming, of course, that there is some actual
dirt for it to grow in.