Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmowing question

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:31:36 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Oct 28, 10:43*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:16:58 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:
Home Guy wrote:
And yes, I also bag my grass because cut grass clippings actually
don't contain a lot of nutrient value and contain a lot of carbon.
Accumulation of cut clippings causes thatch buildup which absorb and
then release rainfall (as opposed to allowing the rain to be absorbed
directly into the soil - a problem in hot summer months when rainfall
can be sparse).

There are plenty of sources that would completely disagree with this.

The thickest, healthiest and luxuriant lawns are those where the
clippings are bagged.

No. They are the ones that get fertilized, watered,, and mowed regularly and
long.

Long grass needs less water to keep it healthy. *My mower is set at the
second-highest setting all summer. *I'll go out in a week or two, after it's
completely dormant, and mow it down a notch or two.- Hide quoted text -

Dunno if my method is good for the lawn or not. I like to mow very
low for the first time in the sping. Gets rid of all the dead stuff,
leaves that didn't get mulched, etc. Usually mow with on the middle
settings so I don't have to mow as often. But then I live in the
country so the "perfect lawn" is not one of my concerns .

It's better to get rid of a lot of the dead stuff in the fall, IMO. The grass
can then be left alone in the spring until it's got a good start. Taller
grass retains more moisture and reduces the chances of weeds getting a
foothold. "Perfect" is relative, here. A nice healthy lawn is easier to take
care of in the long run. ...assuming, of course, that there is some actual
dirt for it to grow in.