Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT -- work bench light for van

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 16, 8:25*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

You're on the right track

snip

Buy a bunch of low cost LED flashlights that run on 12 V or hook up
lower voltage types in series to make a bench light. You're sure to
find some bargains on line and the battery strain should be minimal.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

During the last long time power outage I remembered we had an old propane
lantern for camping. Coleman makes them. You have to carefully wrap a
strangely woven thing onto it, light it with a match and let it burn
completely before turning the gas on. This "thorium mantle" then
produces very bright light, but it is rather fragile. This thing worked
very nicely, though it hisses somewhat. I'm sure they are still
available (watch the wrap, or google coleman gas lantern)
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...sp?CategoryID=
1010

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Propane lanterns do have many uses. Winter time power cuts,
they are really a good tool to have. Both light and heat,
which is good. I do have a propane lantern, and I did use it
when my furnace was broken, and it was cold.

I'll keep that idea in mind. I am not sure how well it would
work, for a work bench in the back of my work van.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Han" wrote in message

During the last long time power outage I remembered we had
an old propane
lantern for camping. Coleman makes them. You have to
carefully wrap a
strangely woven thing onto it, light it with a match and let
it burn
completely before turning the gas on. This "thorium mantle"
then
produces very bright light, but it is rather fragile. This
thing worked
very nicely, though it hisses somewhat. I'm sure they are
still
available (watch the wrap, or google coleman gas lantern)
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...sp?CategoryID=
1010

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2011 9:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

Shotgun shell belt with a couple dozen HF free flashlights, somehow
fastened to wall above bench.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

A quick look on Ebay turned up these:
http://tinyurl.com/6g2j7r2
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

Fluorescents work after warm up, and some are made to work faster in the
cold.

I would probably wire up some Cree warm white LEDs. The ones with 3 LEDs
have over 500 lumens each, and those are about $ 17. A series of the
cheaper $7 ones are good to spread out light. One working at 3 watts, with
heat sink is very bright at short distance, and you buy different angle
lens depending on app.
That's over 100 lumens.

Oh my, Coleman lantern. That harsh glaring bluish light. I hate any led
like that.
The Cree warm whites will please you.

I use led supply.
http://ledsupply.com/led-catalog.php

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 9:25*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

What do you mean by a "few minutes"?

Get an inverter and plug it into your "accessory port". You know, that
round 12V outlet that we used to call a "cigarette lighter".

You can run a work light off of that for quite awhile...forever if you
keep the van running (and fueled).

If you're worried that you might forget to start the van and end up
killing the battery, wire in an auxiliary battery that gets charged
when the van is running and run the inverter off of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

LED lamp with headband. cheap, bright and long lasting
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2011 8:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

I have a 12 volt flourescent on a long cord that is just great for
vehicle work, etc. I would think it would work out super well for what
you are talking about. I would wire it into an automotive circuit for
your use.

Here is something similar to what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-512-1.../dp/B000256RAA

Posted to alt.home.repair

That could work. I'll have to check at Harbor Freight,
sometime when I'm there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the
front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

A quick look on Ebay turned up these:
http://tinyurl.com/6g2j7r2

Posted to alt.home.repair

Funny man, but it's a good thought. Sometimes the modules
with 9 LED come unglued from the HF lights. It's been
suggested to wire those to a pack of D cells, with a current
limiting resistor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

Shotgun shell belt with a couple dozen HF free flashlights,
somehow
fastened to wall above bench.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The closet lights I've got, don't seem to like cold. I
remember being on a moving project, and needinig some light
for inside the moving van. I had an Ozark Trail (Walmart)
camping lantern, fluorescent. Would not light at all. A Jeep
LED light was fine.

I'd also wondered about a Teralux bulb.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"gregz" wrote in message

Fluorescents work after warm up, and some are made to work
faster in the
cold.

I would probably wire up some Cree warm white LEDs. The ones
with 3 LEDs
have over 500 lumens each, and those are about $ 17. A
series of the
cheaper $7 ones are good to spread out light. One working at
3 watts, with
heat sink is very bright at short distance, and you buy
different angle
lens depending on app.
That's over 100 lumens.

Oh my, Coleman lantern. That harsh glaring bluish light. I
hate any led
like that.
The Cree warm whites will please you.

I use led supply.
http://ledsupply.com/led-catalog.php

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few minutes is up to half an hour, sometimes maybe up to
an hour. The 12 volt dome light from the RV, puts out enough
light to be useful. No need to go changing from 12 VDC to
120 VAC, just use the 12 VDC dome light. Rather than go
through the extra work.

One earlier van did have a battery behind the drivers seat,
and a charge cable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

What do you mean by a "few minutes"?

Get an inverter and plug it into your "accessory port". You
know, that
round 12V outlet that we used to call a "cigarette lighter".

You can run a work light off of that for quite
awhile...forever if you
keep the van running (and fueled).

If you're worried that you might forget to start the van and
end up
killing the battery, wire in an auxiliary battery that gets
charged
when the van is running and run the inverter off of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, I do have three of them in the back of the van.
Four, if you count the one in the tool box. They (head
lamps) tend to put out a spot of light. My earlier van had a
12 volt filament bulb and a switch, over the work bench.
That put out white, relatively even light.

Lot of interesting ideas, on this list.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote
in message

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the
front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

LED lamp with headband. cheap, bright and long lasting

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got two that are similar to that. I don't know if they
work when they are cold. We're coming in to winter, after
all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DanG" wrote in message

I have a 12 volt flourescent on a long cord that is just
great for
vehicle work, etc. I would think it would work out super
well for what
you are talking about. I would wire it into an automotive
circuit for
your use.

Here is something similar to what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-512-1.../dp/B000256RAA

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Some of the newer vans at work have LED dome lights. I don't know if
they are now standard equipment (Ford E-series) or were part of the
upfit package with the shelves, drawers, etc. Next time one of the
guys with a full sized van has to come in to do inventory, I will see
if I can see a manufacturer's mark on them.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 8:01*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Actually, I do have three of them in the back of the van.
Four, if you count the one in the tool box. They (head
lamps) tend to put out a spot of light. My earlier van had a
12 volt filament bulb and a switch, over the work bench.
That put out white, relatively even light.

Head lamp would have been my recommendation.
There are several types, some with just LED's and some with an
incandescent for bright light and a couple of LED's for just close
work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

rg:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
[...]

you can get Cree XR-E 3W white LEDs (228 lumens each @1A)at
dealextreme.com(Hong Kong,but free shipping.) for around $5.35 each.

I bought two for making my own bicycle headlight.It works great,I used 1"
square Aluminum tubing for the housing.I drive them at 325ma each(1
watt each,for longre battery life),get 100 lumens per LED from 4 AA NiMH
cells. the housing doesn't even get warm.

they also sell the LED reflectors and driver circuits.

I prefer the colder white light LEDs.

I have no financial connections to this company.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 8:00*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

If you were waiting to talk to someone and they said "I'll be with you
in a few minutes" would you expect that to be "up to half an hour,
sometimes maybe up to an hour"?

I sure wouldn't.

Anyway, if the dome light is enough for you, why are you looking for a
different solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j7g2sn
:

Propane lanterns do have many uses. Winter time power cuts,
they are really a good tool to have. Both light and heat,
which is good. I do have a propane lantern, and I did use it
when my furnace was broken, and it was cold.

I'll keep that idea in mind. I am not sure how well it would
work, for a work bench in the back of my work van.

Not so sure about running a fuel type item in a closed space! Air
supply/contamination and getting knocked over comes to mind. Can't exactly
just move away in any direction too quick.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Red Green wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
news:j7g2sn :

Propane lanterns do have many uses. Winter time power cuts,
they are really a good tool to have. Both light and heat,
which is good. I do have a propane lantern, and I did use it
when my furnace was broken, and it was cold.

I'll keep that idea in mind. I am not sure how well it would
work, for a work bench in the back of my work van.

Not so sure about running a fuel type item in a closed space! Air
supply/contamination and getting knocked over comes to mind. Can't
exactly just move away in any direction too quick.

My propane lantern uses a tiny stream of fuel, so oxygen exhaustion
wouldn'tbe a problem at all, unless the vanis hermetically sealed and
less than 3 cubic feet in volume. Knocking it over would be bad, since
the mantle is fragile, but I don't think it is much of a fire hazard.
You'd have to pick up the lantern, perhaps turn it off, possibly replace
the damaged mantle and relight it.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

Just came back from a 99cent store and they have battery powered LED pucks for
closets. Could use as-is or probably wire them to your van battery
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A few minutes is up to half an hour, sometimes maybe up to
an hour. The 12 volt dome light from the RV, puts out enough
light to be useful. No need to go changing from 12 VDC to
120 VAC, just use the 12 VDC dome light. Rather than go
through the extra work.

Just get LED conversions for the RV dome lights... superbrightleds.com

Go for maximum lumens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light.

12 volt LED rope light and install a disco ball.

Nobody said work couldn't be fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/16/2011 8:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Haven't read all the rest of the responses; ones I did didn't mention:
what about one of the inexpensive solar shed lights? You could even
forego the solar panel and simply use the rechargeable batteries and
occasionally just charge the sucker.

I've not followed up, at one time I saw some pretty inexpensive ones
that I considered for a couple of the outbuildings that weren't more
than $30 or so, complete, and not very big panels--certainly nothing
that couldn't be handled on a work van if chose to use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try one, about 2 feet over your kitchen table. Please let us
know what is the light pattern. I'm guessing it's a fairly
narrow spot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds"
wrote in message

Just came back from a 99cent store and they have battery
powered LED pucks for
closets. Could use as-is or probably wire them to your van
battery

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someday, I will pull the RV dome light apart, and see what
kind of bulb. That could be the answer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

light to be useful. No need to go changing from 12 VDC to
120 VAC, just use the 12 VDC dome light. Rather than go
through the extra work.

Just get LED conversions for the RV dome lights...
superbrightleds.com

Go for maximum lumens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HF has such a light. But, the light part turns out to be
fluorescent. And fluorescents don't work when it's cold.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/18/2011 4:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
HF has such a light. But, the light part turns out to be
fluorescent. And fluorescents don't work when it's cold.

I've seen ones that are LEDs (probably not HF).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 16, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light.

12 volt LED rope light and install a disco ball.

Nobody said work couldn't be fun.

Ever see the bumper sticker "If this vans a rockin' don't come a
knockin' "?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of versions of that. I think it's both profound,
and funny. One version is
"if these springs they are a rockin,
don't you be a knocking. "

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

Ever see the bumper sticker "If this vans a rockin'
don't come a
knockin' "?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html

Ideal for under the hood of a car, in drawers, closets, toolboxes or during
an emergency roadside repair.
a.. 24 LED's for powerful illumination, 3 front LED's for use as a
flashlight
b.. Folding 360º swivel hook to illuminate various angles
c.. Easy on/off switch
d.. 48 hour runtime
e.. Includes 3 AAA batteries
Overall dimensions: 3-7/8" L x 2-15/32" W x 1-31/64" H

Magnet on the back for easy mounting. Nice bright even light. On
sale for $4 at HF

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Try one, about 2 feet over your kitchen table. Please let us
know what is the light pattern. I'm guessing it's a fairly
narrow spot.

the pucks have three LEDs so I'm guessing you are wrong. I'm also guessing that
at the exorbitant price of 99cents, one could easily put up at least 6 and pay
less than most other solutions offered and you'd get better, long lasting light

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html

Ideal for under the hood of a car, in drawers, closets, toolboxes or during
an emergency roadside repair.
a.. 24 LED's for powerful illumination, 3 front LED's for use as a
flashlight
b.. Folding 360º swivel hook to illuminate various angles
c.. Easy on/off switch
d.. 48 hour runtime
e.. Includes 3 AAA batteries
Overall dimensions: 3-7/8" L x 2-15/32" W x 1-31/64" H

Magnet on the back for easy mounting. Nice bright even light. On
sale for $4 at HF

--
Bobby G.

that's better than my 99cent puck
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 45 LED work light from Harbor Freight. It shines a
nice spot on the far wall, which isn't useful for work
zones.

I may have had one of these around, but not going to go
looking. My memory from a couple years ago when I bougth
one, it throws a nice spot on the far wall. The 27/3 LED
magnet light from Harbor Freight, I tried it. Puts a spot
about six inch diameter on my work bench. Somewhat useful, I
guess.

I was in a Dollar Tree earlier today. Next time I go to DT,
I'll try and remember to buy two or three. They might work.
But for a dollar, what the puck?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote
in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Try one, about 2 feet over your kitchen table. Please let
us
know what is the light pattern. I'm guessing it's a fairly
narrow spot.

the pucks have three LEDs so I'm guessing you are wrong. I'm
also guessing that
at the exorbitant price of 99cents, one could easily put up
at least 6 and pay
less than most other solutions offered and you'd get better,
long lasting light

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, on sale, now. Half price, with coupon, for inside track
members. That's the one I tried earlier today. It's a bit of
a spot light, but not too bad. Needs a screw driver to get
at the three AAA cells. I like the 3 / 27 choice. And I also
like the hanging hook, and the magnet. Wish they had used AA
cells, not AAA.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote
in message
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html

Ideal for under the hood of a car, in drawers, closets,
toolboxes or during
an emergency roadside repair.
a.. 24 LED's for powerful illumination, 3 front LED's
for use as a
flashlight
b.. Folding 360º swivel hook to illuminate various
angles
c.. Easy on/off switch
d.. 48 hour runtime
e.. Includes 3 AAA batteries
Overall dimensions: 3-7/8" L x 2-15/32" W x 1-31/64"

Magnet on the back for easy mounting. Nice bright
even light. On
sale for $4 at HF

--
Bobby G.

that's better than my 99cent puck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
And, on sale, now. Half price, with coupon, for inside track
members. That's the one I tried earlier today. It's a bit of
a spot light, but not too bad. Needs a screw driver to get
at the three AAA cells. I like the 3 / 27 choice. And I also
like the hanging hook, and the magnet. Wish they had used AA
cells, not AAA.

Agree about the screwdriver access and the AAA choice. TruValue sells them
for about six bucks and the light was bright enough to be noticed even in a
well-lit store. I will be picking up a couple on my next HF trip. I find
that multiple LED heads give off a nice, shadowless light that's useful for
working on small things. Single, high wattage LED's usually cast harsh
shadows that I find make working under them difficult. I've bought a lot of
100 LED flashlights because the light is even, diffuse and very, very white.
I've attached one to the vacuum cleaner wand because the super bright and
white light can really show where the dirt is. While I can't see it even in
bright sunlight, with the multi-LED flashlight I can see all the doghair
that builds up in places the Roomba can't get to.

I'll bet you can wire them up to "D" cells which would probably last a long,
long time even if left on constantly.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Oct 19, 8:12 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I'll bet you can wire them up to "D" cells which would probably last a

long,
long time even if left on constantly.

--
Bobby G.

Well, keep in mind that a battery puts out 1.5V, give or take. So you
could use 10 battery operated lights wired in series (or five, if they
are all two-cell devices that use the batteries in series for an
output voltage from the battery pack of 3.0V) for operation on an
automotive electrical system. I'm using 14.7V as an estimate of the
system voltage, not 12V, because the former number is likely closer to
the voltage that will actually be provided while the engine is
running, and you likely won't notice the difference when the engine is
off.

I'm always reluctant to power stuff in the car/van with the starting
battery. I suggested D cells because if the units run for 48 hours on
850mAh AAA cells they should run for weeks on D cells which, IIRC, provide
12000mAh in alkaline form. Most rechargeable D's only provide 2200mAh, but
they would work and he could have a set of two so that one's always trickle
charging in the house ready to swap out with the batteries in the van when
they run down.

Wiring them in series to run off 12VDC would have two problems, in my view.
First, if any single unit fails, they all go dark. Second, stringing them
together would increase the draw on the battery and in the cold winter
months Chris is concerned about, that could be enough to mean that the van
wouldn't start if he left them on too long.

Your idea could work with 12VDC AGM cells that he could recharge every few
weeks or months and a spare unit or two that could easily be swapped out if
there's a failure. We are talking about Harbor Freight, after all. (-: The
AGM battery could be easily recharged every now and then with a cigarette
lighter plug charger with some means to regulate the charging current flow
from the main battery.

There's another possible problem with powering them externally. The circuit
could be designed without proper over-current protection based on the
assumption that the light is only powered by AAA cells. Hooking them up to a
power source that can provide much more current than that could incinerate
them. That most likely can be resolved with the addition of a current
limiting resistor between the battery and the light.

--
Bobby G.

Work Bench Leon Woodworking 59 December 25th 08 07:53 PM
work bench/ B&D Work mate Fred UK diy 8 April 13th 08 10:06 PM
Work Bench bejay Home Repair 3 December 4th 06 01:34 AM
Work Bench Carson McAloney Woodworking 6 June 10th 05 05:50 PM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM