Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT -- work bench light for van

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I have been trying to find a way to light my work bench for
a few minutes, when I have service calls and need light. A
dome light from a camper works fine, but draws a lot of 12
volt. Too much to run on two carbon zinc lantern batteries.
Runs for a while on alkaline lantern batteries, but
expensive. Used to run it off a battery booster pack, but
the internal cell went dead.

Fluorescent lights don't work when it's cold.

Either I need more amps, or a LED set up of some kind. I
havn't found the right answer, yet.

Might have to rig it into the starting battery, in the front
of the van.

Something will come to mind, I'm sure.

During the last long time power outage I remembered we had an old propane
lantern for camping. Coleman makes them. You have to carefully wrap a
strangely woven thing onto it, light it with a match and let it burn
completely before turning the gas on. This "thorium mantle" then
produces very bright light, but it is rather fragile. This thing worked
very nicely, though it hisses somewhat. I'm sure they are still
available (watch the wrap, or google coleman gas lantern)
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...sp?CategoryID=
1010

--
Best regards