Carson McAloney

Default Work Bench

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

www

"Carson McAloney" wrote in message
Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

Ok if you support it properly underneath and put a replaceable sheet of 1/4
masonite on top

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

Barry Lennox

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:30:28 -0400, "Carson McAloney"
wrote:

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

A friend built one with a ply base, a hefty MDF inner core and a
masonite top, the top was only about 4mm thick, and will be replaced
as required.

Personally I preferred to glue 2x4 pine together like a butchers
block. Then applied 3-4 coats of the cheapest polyurethane and soya
bean oil every couple of months. Solid and looks great.

Barry Lennox

AAvK

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

For a standard garage bench of higher quality, I would build the leg set or trestle
of 4"x4" (legs and side braces) the top braces flush with the tops of the legs. And
4"x6" for front and rear stretchers (2), low enough to make a useable shelf of ply.

Say a top dimesion of 8'x2'

Then lay down an 8 foot 1/2 sheet of 3/4" construction ply, nailed down, coat
with "titebond II extend" glue (long open time).

Then immedietly, a layer of 2"x2" to the same length and width, gang-glue those
with many cheap clamps front to back. Wait a week for drying, then hand plane
the top to flush-flat. Lamination.

After that, drill and countersink for bolting to the trestle. That oughta last you
2 lifetimes and stay tough.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

David

What Dean said.

Dave

Carson McAloney wrote:

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mike in Mystic

Here's my first try at a woodworking workbench - made from the instruction
in Sam Allen's book "Making Workbenches". The top is laminated MDF, with
masonite skin on 5 sides. I have found the bench to be very versatile and
has held up great. I'm still going to make something ala Frank Klausz's
bench someday. But, as far as MDF being suitable for a bench, it works very
well - you just need to protect the surface from moisture. As others have
suggested, making the top layer of masonite replaceable (something I didn't
do) is probably a good idea, although in 1.5 years I haven't had enough wear
on mine to worry about, so I would say it will last 10-15 years on one sheet
anyway unless you are particularly careless.

Mike

http://www.spaltedboard.com/cgi-bin/...rd=photos&op=d
isplay&num=967

"Carson McAloney" wrote in message
Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:30:28 -0400, "Carson McAloney"
wrote:

Is Mdf okay for a work bench,

Not on its own. MDF will sag if unsupported, so you'll need to put some
closely-spaced supports beneath it. Alternatively use MDF over ply.

Personally I'd use a replaceable layer of 4mm MDF over two layers of
3/4" plywood.