Mike in Mystic

Here's my first try at a woodworking workbench - made from the instruction
in Sam Allen's book "Making Workbenches". The top is laminated MDF, with
masonite skin on 5 sides. I have found the bench to be very versatile and
has held up great. I'm still going to make something ala Frank Klausz's
bench someday. But, as far as MDF being suitable for a bench, it works very
well - you just need to protect the surface from moisture. As others have
suggested, making the top layer of masonite replaceable (something I didn't
do) is probably a good idea, although in 1.5 years I haven't had enough wear
on mine to worry about, so I would say it will last 10-15 years on one sheet
anyway unless you are particularly careless.

Mike

http://www.spaltedboard.com/cgi-bin/...rd=photos&op=d
isplay&num=967

"Carson McAloney" wrote in message
Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.