AAvK

Is Mdf okay for a work bench, if not I would appreciate any suggestions.

For a standard garage bench of higher quality, I would build the leg set or trestle
of 4"x4" (legs and side braces) the top braces flush with the tops of the legs. And
4"x6" for front and rear stretchers (2), low enough to make a useable shelf of ply.

Say a top dimesion of 8'x2'

Then lay down an 8 foot 1/2 sheet of 3/4" construction ply, nailed down, coat
with "titebond II extend" glue (long open time).

Then immedietly, a layer of 2"x2" to the same length and width, gang-glue those
with many cheap clamps front to back. Wait a week for drying, then hand plane
the top to flush-flat. Lamination.

After that, drill and countersink for bolting to the trestle. That oughta last you
2 lifetimes and stay tough.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com