Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable emergency generator recommendations?

Considering buying about a 5KW portable generator for
emergency use. So it needs to be reliable but does not
have to endure long use over it's lifetime. Around here
it might get used 5 hours every 5 years. Worst outage
was the hurricane where power was out 3 days. Even
then I'd only run it maybe 8 hours a day max.

So, any recommendations? Particularly interested in
any issues with quality of the power. From what I can
gather generators with brushless design are better in
that regard. But many generator manufacturers don't
even spec if they are brushless or not. There are
generators that one would think would be better, eg
Honda, but they are expensive. At the other end are
the Chinese ones from Harbor Freight and similar.
Again, since I don't need long hours of longevity,
would one of the Chinese ones be OK. Experiences?

Also would buy one that can be converted to NG.
Looks like you can get kits for many engines for
about $200 that do that. Anyone using one of those?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 10:18*am, "
wrote:
[...]

I use a cheap one. Have for 15 years. If you want to save money
probably better to buy it already setup for your fuel source. Unless
you want multiple sources. I stuck with gasoline as it allows me to
carry the generator somewhere else if I need it there. Like down to
the lake to build my dock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Considering buying about a 5KW portable generator for
emergency use. So it needs to be reliable but does not
have to endure long use over it's lifetime. Around here
it might get used 5 hours every 5 years. Worst outage
was the hurricane where power was out 3 days. Even
then I'd only run it maybe 8 hours a day max.

So, any recommendations? Particularly interested in
any issues with quality of the power. From what I can
gather generators with brushless design are better in
that regard.

I'm not an expert, but I did look at the generators Northern Tool has. Some
specify they can be used with sensitive electronics. That is what I would
buy. Even formerly mundane appliances like refrigerators and gas ranges now
often have electronics in them.

They do have some Natural Gas powered Generac models, but they are $1800 and
up. They do have a propane powered one for $600 on sale
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0463_200480463
No mention of clean power though. I'd still want that or at least a power
supply that will work with it to clean it up.

A local appliance dealer was on the radio last week. He siad his shop was
very busy repairing refrigerators that wee damaged by generators and power
spikes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Search google for "electronics friendly" generator.

They are starting to come out with models which will power electronic
things which includes natural gas furnaces which have electronic
controls, etc. Called "electronics friendly"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

There they (Florida) go again. Mandating business to spend
money.

I think taking your generator to the gas station sounds
good. With all the electronics in the pumps, and the way the
pumps read at the cash registers. Might be a challenge to
get it wired in and working. The gas station people are not
likely to want to risk all the electronics might be damaged
by generator power.

A gas station with the old mechanical dial pumps could make
a pile of money during a power cut. Have the supply company
standing by with more trucks of fuel to drain into the
tanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Florida passed a law that says any gas station on an
evacuation route
is required to have a generator. Whether they can get it
started is
still the question.

Yep. And Texas passed a law requiring gas stations in the
hurricane's past
to have their storage tanks at least half full before the
storm's onset.

As to generators: For the next hurricane, I'm considering
hauling mine to my
local gas station and offering to power-up his pumps for
$50/hour. Five
thousand watts should be sufficient to run a few (like
three) pumps.

In addition to the generator and some gas (I know where to
get the gas), I'd
need a few tools (screwdriver, pliers, beer) to break into
the circuit
breaker box and a modest length cable to tie in the
generator.

Cha-ching!