Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable emergency generator recommendations?

wrote in message
Considering buying about a 5KW portable generator for
emergency use. So it needs to be reliable but does not
have to endure long use over it's lifetime. Around here
it might get used 5 hours every 5 years. Worst outage
was the hurricane where power was out 3 days. Even
then I'd only run it maybe 8 hours a day max.

So, any recommendations? Particularly interested in
any issues with quality of the power. From what I can
gather generators with brushless design are better in
that regard.

I'm not an expert, but I did look at the generators Northern Tool has. Some
specify they can be used with sensitive electronics. That is what I would
buy. Even formerly mundane appliances like refrigerators and gas ranges now
often have electronics in them.

They do have some Natural Gas powered Generac models, but they are $1800 and
up. They do have a propane powered one for $600 on sale
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0463_200480463
No mention of clean power though. I'd still want that or at least a power
supply that will work with it to clean it up.

A local appliance dealer was on the radio last week. He siad his shop was
very busy repairing refrigerators that wee damaged by generators and power
spikes.