Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable emergency generator recommendations?

Considering buying about a 5KW portable generator for
emergency use. So it needs to be reliable but does not
have to endure long use over it's lifetime. Around here
it might get used 5 hours every 5 years. Worst outage
was the hurricane where power was out 3 days. Even
then I'd only run it maybe 8 hours a day max.

So, any recommendations? Particularly interested in
any issues with quality of the power. From what I can
gather generators with brushless design are better in
that regard. But many generator manufacturers don't
even spec if they are brushless or not. There are
generators that one would think would be better, eg
Honda, but they are expensive. At the other end are
the Chinese ones from Harbor Freight and similar.
Again, since I don't need long hours of longevity,
would one of the Chinese ones be OK. Experiences?

Also would buy one that can be converted to NG.
Looks like you can get kits for many engines for
about $200 that do that. Anyone using one of those?