Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Car Key question

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

Hi,
If the car is bewer model the plastic handle may contain a chip.
Make sure that is not the case. Cjip embedded spare key costs
~100.00(you get a blank key with chip and have it cut for your car)
Posted to alt.home.repair

He's right, some of the bewer cars have a cjip in the
handle, a transponder, actually.

I'd take the key to the hardware, ask to have a copy ground.
Leave the plastic key indoors, so the transponder can't work
(if equipped). See if the metal only key starts the car.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

Hi,
If the car is bewer model the plastic handle may contain a
chip.
Make sure that is not the case. Cjip embedded spare key
costs
~100.00(you get a blank key with chip and have it cut for
your car)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

If it is a plain key, not transponders or embedded chips, just get another
copy made at the locksmith for about $2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

Hi,
If the car is bewer model the plastic handle may contain a chip.
Make sure that is not the case. Cjip embedded spare key costs
~100.00(you get a blank key with chip and have it cut for your car)

No chip in the key. $1.99 at Ace Hardware.
Had a key made the other day and it opens the door and started the car
no problem.

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry
in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has
found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 4:14 am, LouB wrote:
Earl wrote:
LouB wrote :

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Why?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

No chip in the key. $1.99 at Ace Hardware.
Had a key made the other day and it opens the door and started the car
no problem.

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry
in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has
found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Andy comments:
I'd drop it in a small pot of boiling water, fish it out with
some
pliers (or some method), and see if it is soft enough to scrape off
with a knife........
If there is no hole in the metal to fasten it with, you might have
to drill a hole....

If the pot of water (212F) doesn't work, heat up the oven to 400F
and put the key in for a few minutes, setting it on a piece of
aluminum foil so it won't make a mess if it melts.... If possible
have the key held so the plastic part is on the bottom so if it
runs it won't drip over the metal part and bugger up the key part....

Just some suggestions..... Good luck.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I carry in
my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may need
a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone has found
an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you remove
the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything. There are much
easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I'd start off with a razor knive and shave down one of the skinny sides
until there was metal, then peel the rest of the plastic off. You could
probably achieve the same thing with a well-sharpened chisel.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

Most plastics break...tried whacking it with a hammer?

All plastics - AFAIK - burn. Use a propane torch.

Not all burn. Bakelite, for example, is thermoSETTING. The hotter it gets,
the more consistent it becomes. It's possible to turn a Bakelite ashtray
into one big, honkin', molecule! Oh, it will eventually char and
disintegrate, but burn? Nope.

Polystyrene peanuts won't support combustion either - they WILL flame a
little bit, but are self extinguishing.

There's more than two dozen plastics, each with differing burn and
burn-retardant characteristics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:14:24 -0400, LouB wrote:

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I'd go back to Walmart and have another key made with one of their
'wallet blanks'.

I think it was Walmart- maybe Ace hardware? check around.

Jim

Key came from Ace hardware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 7:37*am, DanG wrote:

It is getting to be an old memory, but I took one of those off several
years ago. * I used a good sharp wood chisel. *The plastic is VERY tough
and tightly bonded to the metal. *Make sure you don't get your fingers
ahead of a sharp chisel in motion. *It seems to me I stood the key on
the ring end on a scrap wood block and used a hammer and good wood
chisel to slice down one side. *The other side was much easier, but it
did not just fall off.

Aren't they all getting to be old memories, Dan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2011 5:13 AM, LouB wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

LouB wrote:
[...]

Who cares? Get another key made. You've ALREADY wasted more than $1.99
worth of time trying to figure out how to get the plastic off. Pay the
man at the hardware store, and be done with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2011 7:26 AM, LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I
carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in
the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone
has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything.
There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

You're missing the point totally. Get another one made *from a plain
metal blank* that doesn't have the plastic shroud on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 7:14*pm, LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? *Burn it? *Chisel it (not so easy)?

For emergency only, to open the car door -- does not start engine --
in case you have locked your keys in the ignition, get a plastic key
made at the Auto Club.
Fits in your wallet.

(Don't ask how many times I have done it. The winner was TWICE in one
day, in the rain, with the engine running...)

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Could the supplier of your spare key not tell you
whether the plastic cap is functional or not?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

I'd start off with a razor knive and shave down one of the skinny
sides until there was metal, then peel the rest of the plastic off. You
could probably achieve the same thing with a well-sharpened
chisel. Jon

Damn stuff is hard. Will try heat.

If you can shave off a sliver, you can shave off two slivers. Do that
enough times and you'll be at metal.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 9:30*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
LouB wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

Hi,
If the car is bewer model the plastic handle may contain a chip.
Make sure that is not the case. Cjip embedded spare key costs
~100.00(you get a blank key with chip and have it cut for your car)

Ace hardware made me a chip key for about $70 here.

Because the new spare key is fat and "literally" a pain in the ass to
store in my wallet... I hid my spare key on the vehicle itself in a
place that would require a screwdriver to find it. I figure if I lose
my keys I can always borrow/buy a screwdriver someplace to get at the
spare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2011 5:13 AM, LouB wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

LouB wrote:
[...]

If this is the key you started the car with, there may still be an early
version of the security chip in it. What brand and year is your car?

But as to how to get a naked key- go someplace else and pay another 2
bucks. Just ask them to show you the blank before they cut the key. It
ain't worth the work to carve/grind off. You may not like the shape of
the key head under the plastic- they are often pointy, so as to keep the
plastic shell on the key.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote the following:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I would say just soften it with heat from a hair blower of by holding it
over a flame. If you f**k it up, buy a new key without the plastic.
I got my spare unchipped car key at WalMart. It is in my wallet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything. There
are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

NO ****! I know that. Get one with no plastic. Try a locksmith. You
should have a plain key made instead of buggering up the original key. Once
you take the plastic off, there may not be enough metal left to turn the key
one inserted in the lock. I don't know for sure, but for two bucks, why
take a chance? Do what you want, but there is an easier way if you stop and
listen to what people here say.

Put a torch to it and bur the crap off. I don't give a damn what you do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/16/2011 7:26 AM, LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I
carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in
the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone
has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything.
There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

You're missing the point totally. Get another one made *from a plain
metal blank* that doesn't have the plastic shroud on it.

And what if the blank is not made as plain metal (which it is not)???
There are not a lot of makers of car key blanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
LouB wrote the following:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I would say just soften it with heat from a hair blower of by holding it
over a flame. If you f**k it up, buy a new key without the plastic.
I got my spare unchipped car key at WalMart. It is in my wallet.

Will try Walmart, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything.
There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

NO ****! I know that. Get one with no plastic. Try a locksmith. You
should have a plain key made instead of buggering up the original key.
Once you take the plastic off, there may not be enough metal left to
turn the key one inserted in the lock. I don't know for sure, but for
two bucks, why take a chance? Do what you want, but there is an easier
way if you stop and listen to what people here say.

Put a torch to it and bur the crap off. I don't give a damn what you do.

Than why did you reply??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2011 7:48 AM, LouB wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/16/2011 7:26 AM, LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I
carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in
the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone
has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything.
There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

You're missing the point totally. Get another one made *from a plain
metal blank* that doesn't have the plastic shroud on it.

And what if the blank is not made as plain metal (which it is not)???
There are not a lot of makers of car key blanks.

Then find one that *is*. Sheesh. How did you ever reach adulthood?
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

Most plastics break...tried whacking it with a hammer?

All plastics - AFAIK - burn. Use a propane torch.

Not all burn. Bakelite, for example, is thermoSETTING. The hotter it
gets, the more consistent it becomes. It's possible to turn a
Bakelite ashtray into one big, honkin', molecule! Oh, it will
eventually char and disintegrate, but burn? Nope.

Disintegration - in this case - works too.

Polystyrene peanuts won't support combustion either - they WILL flame
a little bit, but are self extinguishing.

Will they melt? Melting - in this case - could work too #2

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

-snip-

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

My son works at a Ford dealership prepping cars. Mom wants a key
made for her 2010 Focus. Son asks about it. With his employee
discount, they can do it for $80. But they need to keep the car
for a day or 2 while the key is ordered from someplace. They tell
him that the security level is so high on these things they can't even
make a chipped key at the dealer level.

So my wife goes to Ace hardware & has it made in 10 minutes for $50.

Oh well--

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote the following:
willshak wrote in newstidnY-
:

LouB wrote the following:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I would say just soften it with heat from a hair blower of by holding it
over a flame. If you f**k it up, buy a new key without the plastic.
I got my spare unchipped car key at WalMart. It is in my wallet.

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that enables your car to
start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can make you a blank
that has no chip or plastic "cap",even "credit card" ones that will fit in
your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

It has been established that the OP's key does not contain a chip.
Keys that do not contain a chip can be used to both unlock the doors and
start the car, like they used to before the gummint and insurance
companies got involved. My 14 year old truck requires no chipped key to
start. It does have remote keyless entry, but only because I installed
an aftermarket kit myself. Afterwards, I did lock the keys and remote in
it one time and had to call the wife to bring the spare keys from home.
I then had a spare key made to keep in my wallet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote the following:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Could the supplier of your spare key not tell you
whether the plastic cap is functional or not?

I know it is NOT

It seems that no one, except a few, believe that there are some car keys
that are not chipped. They must all be young and don't remember when a
car key was just a key, and not a transmitter.
I just had a spare house key made because mine broke in the front door
lock after 27 years of use. In order to distinguish the house key from
the others I carry, I bought one of those soft plastic rings that slip
around the edge of the key head to identify it from the other keys. My
front door is red, so I bought a red ring. There is no chip in it as far
as I can tell. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 15, 7:14 pm, wrote:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

For emergency only, to open the car door -- does not start engine --
in case you have locked your keys in the ignition, get a plastic key
made at the Auto Club.
Fits in your wallet.

(Don't ask how many times I have done it. The winner was TWICE in one
day, in the rain, with the engine running...)

HB

True Story...

I locked myself out of the house years ago.

Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away, phoned my wife
(at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key. I took a
thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors and nail
clippers.

After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into the key slot
despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use something metal to
turn the cylinder, but it worked!

I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but eventually
threw it away.

Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left handed)!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:12*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

-snip-

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

My son works at a Ford dealership prepping cars. * Mom wants a key
made for her 2010 Focus. * * Son asks about it. * With his employee
discount, they can do it for $80. * * But they need to keep the car
for a day or 2 while the key is ordered from someplace. * They tell
him that the security level is so high on these things they can't even
make a chipped key at the dealer level.

So my wife goes to Ace hardware & has it made in 10 minutes for $50.

Oh well--

Jim

Ace is great for the chip keys. After they make it, they try it out
on your car, if it works you pay for it, if it fails to start the car
then there is no charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2011 9:44 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 16, 7:37 am, wrote:

It is getting to be an old memory, but I took one of those off several
years ago. I used a good sharp wood chisel. The plastic is VERY tough
and tightly bonded to the metal. Make sure you don't get your fingers
ahead of a sharp chisel in motion. It seems to me I stood the key on
the ring end on a scrap wood block and used a hammer and good wood
chisel to slice down one side. The other side was much easier, but it
did not just fall off.

Aren't they all getting to be old memories, Dan?

Sometimes proudly, sometimes with regret, but, yes, they are all
beginning to be older memories.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got a call, from a nice couple people who had lost the key
to their car. They had someone home, with the spare key. I
asked them to make a 200% phtoto copy of the key at Kinkos,
and fax it over. They did, and that was enough information
for me to remake the key.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ned Flanders" wrote in
message ...

True Story...

I locked myself out of the house years ago.

Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away,
phoned my wife
(at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key.
I took a
thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors
and nail
clippers.

After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into
the key slot
despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use
something metal to
turn the cylinder, but it worked!

I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but
eventually
threw it away.

Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left
handed)!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In 4,
Jim Yanik typed:

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that
enables your car to start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not
start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can
make you a blank that has no chip or plastic "cap",even
"credit card" ones that will fit in your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so
I would not destroy it.

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it
only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It must
vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly brand
too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s in your
area.

HTH,

Twayne`