Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB[_3_] LouB[_3_] is offline

Default OT Car Key question

Jim Yanik wrote:
willshak wrote in newstidnY-
:

LouB wrote the following:
Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Melt it?? Burn it? Chisel it (not so easy)?

I would say just soften it with heat from a hair blower of by holding it
over a flame. If you f**k it up, buy a new key without the plastic.
I got my spare unchipped car key at WalMart. It is in my wallet.

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that enables your car to
start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can make you a blank
that has no chip or plastic "cap",even "credit card" ones that will fit in
your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

Paid 1.99 at ACE hardware. You think it is chipped?