Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Car Key question

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:34:54 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

On Sep 17, 10:12*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

-snip-

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

My son works at a Ford dealership prepping cars. * Mom wants a key
made for her 2010 Focus. * * Son asks about it. * With his employee
discount, they can do it for $80. * * But they need to keep the car
for a day or 2 while the key is ordered from someplace. * They tell
him that the security level is so high on these things they can't even
make a chipped key at the dealer level.

So my wife goes to Ace hardware & has it made in 10 minutes for $50.

Oh well--

Jim

Ace is great for the chip keys. After they make it, they try it out
on your car, if it works you pay for it, if it fails to start the car
then there is no charge.

Do they have the computer to program the car's computer? Mine requires two
good keys to program a third. If two aren't available a dealer is required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:31:02 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

In 4,
Jim Yanik typed:

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that
enables your car to start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not
start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can
make you a blank that has no chip or plastic "cap",even
"credit card" ones that will fit in your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so
I would not destroy it.

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it
only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It must
vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly brand
too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s in your
area.

Mine were $15 and $30 (different dealers - same key).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
In 4,
Jim Yanik typed:

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that
enables your car to start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not
start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can
make you a blank that has no chip or plastic "cap",even
"credit card" ones that will fit in your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so
I would not destroy it.

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it
only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It
must vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly
brand too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s
in your area.

HTH,

Twayne`

Depends on the brand. I've heard very high prices, well over $100 from a
dealer for some brands. My key is $2 at any key place as it has no chips,
sirens, passport photos, etc.

A few years back, my boss went to Europe and took his key with him. His
wife used his car and locked the keys inside and the fob did not work. No
one would use a slim-jim because of all the electronics, wires and switches
buried in the door.

A local locksmith could make a door key if he had the code. We called the
dealer and they would not give the code since we were not the owner. After
about 30 minutes, I was able to convince him to call the locksmith and they
gave him the code. It was about a 2 hour project from when she first called
me for help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:20:11 -0700, Ned Flanders
wrote:

True Story...

I locked myself out of the house years ago.

Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away, phoned my wife
(at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key. I took a
thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors and nail
clippers.

After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into the key slot
despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use something metal to
turn the cylinder, but it worked!

I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but eventually
threw it away.

Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left handed)!

I've seen a number of keys made for handcuffs using the ink fill tube
for a ball point pin. Shims made that do not require a key at all for
the cuffs.

I've heard it said, that embedding a key into a bar of soap or into
soft clay will allow you to make a key from the impression.

Video: (This is for a padlock)

_Open a Master Padlock With a Beer Can_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGxRQlWTrM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2011 10:31 AM, Twayne wrote:
In 4,
Jim typed:

that "cap" probably contains the RFID microchip that
enables your car to start.
without it,you may unlock the door,but the car will not
start.
If all you want is to unlock the door,any keymaker can
make you a blank that has no chip or plastic "cap",even
"credit card" ones that will fit in your wallet.

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so
I would not destroy it.

I bought an additional key for my vehicle after losing an original and it
only cost $65, complete with programmming the chip. Works perfectly. It must
vary with area, whether key-making equip is paid for, and possibly brand
too, so the only way to gt an accurate price is go to the supplier/s in your
area.

HTH,

Twayne`

Around here, the dealers don't care to pay for the special machine, and
to keep a trained operator. They job the chipped-key work out to the one
real locksmith left in town, who does have the machine. Dealer gave me
the secret number, and pointed me to the locksmith. I got two of the
normal-sized keys, since the one chipped key that came with car was one
of those huge things with the buttons, and the ring loop in wrong spot,
so no male can keep it on a ring in pants pocket without it constantly
jabbing him. What idiot thought that thing up? And I can't even get a
normal separate fob for the car (05 Caravan), and only key holes are
driver door and tailgate. I just leave it unlocked most of the time,
unless I am in a real crappy area. The stuff in the car is cheaper to
replace than the window glass anyway.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

LouB wrote the following:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message

Just got a spare key for my car.
The thing comes with a black plastic cap on the end.
Is there an easy way to get the thing off?

Could the supplier of your spare key not tell you
whether the plastic cap is functional or not?

I know it is NOT

It seems that no one, except a few, believe that there are some car keys
that are not chipped. They must all be young and don't remember when a
car key was just a key, and not a transmitter.
I just had a spare house key made because mine broke in the front door
lock after 27 years of use. In order to distinguish the house key from
the others I carry, I bought one of those soft plastic rings that slip
around the edge of the key head to identify it from the other keys. My
front door is red, so I bought a red ring. There is no chip in it as far
as I can tell. :-)

No,it's that the cars made before around 1998 are "chipless",no inherent
security system built into their EFI,and -most- of those cars are in the
junkyards now.
I chopped the black plastic cap off my 94 Integra's valet key so it would
fit in my wallet as an emergency key.It had no RFID or resistor chip.
But it's wiser to treat a capped key as having some sort of chip for
security,as those are much more common these days,UNLESS you specifically
KNOW it's not chipped. (RTFM;owner's manuals are your friend.)

Unfortunately,my Integra GS-R was STOLEN in 2007(stripped and
torched,a total loss),and if it had had a chipped EFI system,they would not
have gotten it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ned Flanders wrote in
:

True Story...

I locked myself out of the house years ago.

Still had my car key so I drove to work 5 minutes away, phoned my wife
(at the time) and had her fax me a picture of the house key. I took a
thinner card out of my wallet and made a key using scissors and nail
clippers.

After inserting the key (it was pliable enough to fit into the key slot
despite the missing groves and channels. I had to use something metal to
turn the cylinder, but it worked!

you were lucky,because most scanners and copiers do not copy to exact size.

I kept it in my wallet for a few years (just in case), but eventually
threw it away.

Ned "MacGyver" Flanders (and yes the scissors were left handed)!

I could pick my apartment door's lock. A couple of "bobby pins"....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:22:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

that was enough information
for me to remake the key.

Convicts were allowed to work on secure grills / doors at a federal
penitentiary in Marion, IL.

These were electric locks. Seems the crooks made a "remote control"
and walked out the front door (later to become the new Alcatraz).

Largest man hunt in IL history, maybe :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 7:48*am, LouB wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/16/2011 7:26 AM, LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote

Why remove? So it fits in the small leather business card case I
carry in my left front pocket in case I lock my main set of keys in
the car.

Back to the question. Anyone removed the plastic. Looks like I may
need a vice to grip the key so I can work on it. Am hoping someone
has found an easy way. Cook in toaster oven perhaps?

Speaking of vices, you may need vice grips to turn the key once you
remove the plastic. I have no idea what is under it, if anything.
There are much easier solutions as noted before, get a key made.

I ALREADY have the key

You're missing the point totally. Get another one made *from a plain
metal blank* that doesn't have the plastic shroud on it.

And what if the blank is not made as plain metal (which it is not)???
There are not a lot of makers of car key blanks.

BULL ****...

If the key blank is made with the black plastic grip on it there is
ALWAYS
ALWAYS a plain variety made by aftermarket keyblank manufacturers like
Ilco, LSDA, etc...

Stop ****ing around with Axxess+ keys at Ace and Walmart and go to a
real locksmith shop which will often have several different versions
of the
same keyblank (OEM Nickel Silver vs Brass) and plain metal vs plastic
grip...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 11:12*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

-snip-

Those chipped keys are expensive to replace,over $100,so I would not
destroy it.

My son works at a Ford dealership prepping cars. * Mom wants a key
made for her 2010 Focus. * * Son asks about it. * With his employee
discount, they can do it for $80. * * But they need to keep the car
for a day or 2 while the key is ordered from someplace. * They tell
him that the security level is so high on these things they can't even
make a chipped key at the dealer level.

So my wife goes to Ace hardware & has it made in 10 minutes for $50.

Oh well--

Jim

Bull****...

The 2 or 3 day wait is because the car dealership makes it a low
priority
call with the locksmith in the area that can originate and program the
high security auto keys... This saves the dealership money on the
side job and lets them make a higher profit...

Most dealerships don't have the $25,000 key machine required to
originate newer auto keys -- that is the ONLY limitation...

But the dealership has the necessary programming code for the
vehicle computer, the key blanks and often the bitting code for
the cuts on the key... Just not the machine which costs more
than some of the cars to cut them on...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

A dealer is needed to obtain the PIN code for the vehicles on board
computer,
anyone with the expensive ODBII programming tool can program the car's
computer once they have the PIN code and a properly cut compatible
transponder
key...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 11:38*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

.44,
[...]

Ed:

Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a modern car
because
the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them and many newer
cars
also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can fire if they
are shorted
out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...

Ever see what a guy looks like with an airbag launched slim jim sliced
into
his neck ?

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message

[...]

Cite, please.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

"Twayne" wrote in message

[...]

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

For years some auto manufacturers have covered the locking mechanism
with a plastic cover. But, that doesn't mean that you can't open the
door with a slim jim.

and many newer cars also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can fire if they are shorted out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...

Many? Newer?

Can you provide a list of the "many newer" cars that have side impact
bags inside of the front doors? Cause, I'm wondering if I got ripped
off, since my '08 and '10 vehicles don't have them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

Don't hold your breath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As a locksmith with 25+ years experience, I sometimes wonder
if Evan is completely correct in what he writes. I'd not
waste a lot of time in front of the computer waiting for
Evan's cite.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Evan wrote the following:

Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a
modern car
because
the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them and
many newer
cars
also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can
fire if they
are shorted
out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...

Ever see what a guy looks like with an airbag launched
slim jim sliced
into
his neck ?

~~ Evan

Cite, please.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard from folks who have had car doors damage by
persons with Slim Jims. Me, I totally do not own one. And
have not, for at least 15 years. I got tired of hearing
people say "Oh, just like the cops". Anything a cop can
unlock with a Slim Jim, I can unlock with a tool that
doesn't get that response from people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron"
wrote in message

Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a
modern car
because
the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

For years some auto manufacturers have covered the locking
mechanism
with a plastic cover. But, that doesn't mean that you can't
open the
door with a slim jim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message

[...]

Personal observation of a police officer's last day on the job when he
was injured at the premises where I worked at the time, 12 years
ago... In discussion of the incident later on after it was officially
and thoroughly investigated by both the police department, the state
labor authorities and OSHA it is one of the more common non-criminal
accidental line-of-duty injuries that are suffered by law enforcement
officers right behind "accidentally" driving off the road and falling
down icy steps... It isn't going to be something that gets tons of
publicity as it is more often than not a result of the officer's
personal ignorance and lack of proper training that cause such self-
inflicted "accidents"... Which is why police departments often do not
possess the tools anymore and will gladly open a vehicle in an
emergency situation by applying a baton or spring loaded punch tool to
the least expensive panel of glass on the vehicle nowadays...

You would only really know about such accidents if you worked for
OSHA, law enforcement or a towing company...

Not everything that happens to the police makes the news, especially
the things which only happened because of a mistake made by the
officer when the situation can be controlled...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 4:53*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As a locksmith with 25+ years experience, I sometimes wonder
if Evan is completely correct in what he writes. I'd not
waste a lot of time in front of the computer waiting for
Evan's cite.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"willshak" wrote in message

m...
Evan wrote the following:

Most people who have a brain won't use a slim jim on a
modern car
because
the doors are designed to be imcompatible with them and
many newer
cars
also have side impact airbags inside the doors which can
fire if they
are shorted
out by someone who hasn't clue one what they are doing...

Ever see what a guy looks like with an airbag launched
slim jim sliced
into
his neck ?

~~ Evan

Cite, please.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I wouldn't call what you do locksmithing Chris...

Advanced handymanery perhaps but not locksmithing...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, we get to take your word for it?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You obviously don't know me very well. And your credibility
is really suffering badly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
As a locksmith with 25+ years experience, I sometimes
wonder
if Evan is completely correct in what he writes. I'd not
waste a lot of time in front of the computer waiting for
Evan's cite.

I wouldn't call what you do locksmithing Chris...

Advanced handymanery perhaps but not locksmithing...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

12 yrs ago??? Yeah, OK.................
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 20, 3:54*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
So, we get to take your word for it?

I think he's been watching too much of "1000 Ways to Die" on Spike.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/slimjim.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:55:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You obviously don't know me very well. And your credibility
is really suffering badly.

Impossible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Very few vehicles made in the last 10 years or so can be opened with a
slim jim. As for side airbags causing slim jims to be "launched" see for
yourself and make up your own mind:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/slimjim.asp

http://www.towtimes.com/?p=921

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/slim.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As a locksmith with 25+ years experience, I sometimes
wonder
if Evan is completely correct in what he writes. I'd not
waste a lot of time in front of the computer waiting for
Evan's cite.

I wouldn't call what you do locksmithing Chris...

Advanced handymanery perhaps but not locksmithing...

~~ Evan

I read what you post here and in other newsgroups...

You really don't know as much about locks as you
think you do...

That isn't *just* *my* opinion Chris, there are others
who used to actually post on alt.locksmithing that
agree with the statement that you aren't very good
at locksmithing...

The fact that your business has so many aspects
to it and that you are doing so many different kinds
of jobs really serves to back that statement up by
your own actions... If you were a good locksmith
there would be no need to do anything but that type
of work...

Then when you factor in your idea of what constitutes
a "joke" and what doesn't, it makes people wonder
if you aren't accessing usenet during your library
time at the mental facility...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message

[...]

Yup, was a brand new imported German car...

The cop was one of those cocky ones who thought he could handle
anything...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard from folks who have had car doors damage by
persons with Slim Jims. Me, I totally do not own one. And
have not, for at least 15 years. I got tired of hearing
people say "Oh, just like the cops". Anything a cop can
unlock with a Slim Jim, I can unlock with a tool that
doesn't get that response from people.

I am the OP.
Well since the thread has drifted a wee bit this is how my car was opened:
I called Kia road service (free with new Kias) they dispatched a
specialized company that does lockouts. He showed up exactly on time
(1/2 hour). Stuck some kind of bladder gizmo (tool) in door at left top
(passenger side). Got door to spring a little. Stuck another gizmo
in and door opened. Was so fast I did not see second device but I think
it grabbed the handle. Whole deal was under 2 minutes. No charge due
to svc contract.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

PS. Met a local cop while waiting and he said cops do not do doors
anymore cause they were sued too many times for door damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2014 5:28 PM, Mairlyn Braly wrote:
What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

Not sure about the black plastic. If memory
serves, some time in the early eighties.

In 1986, they put resistor pellet (not a chip)
in some of the GM models, Trans Am and Corvette.
In later years, they put resistor pellet in
keys for other models of vehicle.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mairlyn Braly wrote:
What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

Hi,
Some does not have anything imbedded. Just blck plastic. No logo on it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/14, 2:28 PM, Mairlyn Braly wrote:
What year did Oldsmobile and other companies begin putting black plastic on car ignition keys. I have a mystery key I am trying to identify. I think it might be too old to have a chip in it....unless they all had a chip from the beginning.

Not sure about the year, but most (if not all) of those automotive
'immobilizers':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

.... employ RFID tags within key heads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification