Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get shelf hooks like this?

Hi,

I have a set of shelves hanging from the joists in the basement (from a previous owner). They are simple wooden shelves resting on the metal supports that you can see he

http://freeboundaries.com/hooks.jpg

I can't seem to find these metal pieces anywhere. If someone recognizes them, perhaps they could let me know where to buy them (or at least what they are called).

Many thanks in advance,

Pavel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SamTakoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a set of shelves hanging from the joists in the basement (from a
previous owner). They are simple wooden shelves resting on the metal
supports that you can see he

http://freeboundaries.com/hooks.jpg

I can't seem to find these metal pieces anywhere. If someone recognizes
them, perhaps they could let me know where to buy them (or at least what
they are called).

Many thanks in advance,

Pavel

I don't know, but when you find out, I want some.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SamTakoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a set of shelves hanging from the joists in the basement (from
a previous owner). They are simple wooden shelves resting on the
metal supports that you can see he

http://freeboundaries.com/hooks.jpg

I can't seem to find these metal pieces anywhere. If someone
recognizes them, perhaps they could let me know where to buy them (or
at least what they are called).

Many thanks in advance,

Try http://quickshelf.com/

Here's how I found 'em:
1. Did a Google search for shelf hangers,
2. Switched to "Images",
3. Found a picture resembling yours,
4. Right-clicked on the picture, and looked at the "Properties" line,
5. This provided the URL of the picture, imbedded in which was the name of
the website.

8" deep are $3.00 a pair, 24" are $5.80 a pair. In-between sizes have
in-between prices.

Best of luck.

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2011 4:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:
SamTakoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a set of shelves hanging from the joists in the basement (from
a previous owner). They are simple wooden shelves resting on the
metal supports that you can see he

http://freeboundaries.com/hooks.jpg

I can't seem to find these metal pieces anywhere. If someone
recognizes them, perhaps they could let me know where to buy them (or
at least what they are called).

Many thanks in advance,

Try http://quickshelf.com/

Here's how I found 'em:
1. Did a Google search for shelf hangers,
2. Switched to "Images",
3. Found a picture resembling yours,
4. Right-clicked on the picture, and looked at the "Properties" line,
5. This provided the URL of the picture, imbedded in which was the name of
the website.

Once you find the image you can click on the image then on the "Website
for this image" on the right hand side too. I tried something similar
but used different search words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SamTakoy wrote:
[...]

Too bad AHR doesn't have a FAQ, with pictures hyperlinked to it. (or
would that make it into a website?) Anyway, ISTR the quest for those
hangars pops up on here at least once a year or more. Remember them well
from my childhood, in many basements and garages. Most every hardware
store had them. Haven't seen them retail in decades.

I'm dubious about rolling your own. Bet they go through a heat step
after bending, like chain. I think if you rolled your own, they would
either be saggy, or the tight corners would be brittle.

Note that that form of shelving is not real good for home canned
veggies- any tremors in the house, and they do act like a rope ladder.
It sucks when glass jars walk off a cliff.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs
driven in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit
heavier than coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an
interesting (and possibly rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Of course not ! That's why I'm here - to share knowledge, ideas, dreams.

Why are you here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 4:25*pm, George wrote:
On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Perhaps you could elaborate on your thoughts about Hey Bub's concept,
its potential flaws & failure modes.

I'll agree that spec'ing the wire size at "a bit heavier than coat-
hanger wire" is vague.
Needs to be more like 1/8" or 3/16 but that's still not very heavy &
easily formed by hand.

But I'd more more worried about:
1) QuickShelf's suggestion of those wimpy & short 5/16" screw eyes.
2) Overloading the floor (or ceiling) joists or trusses.

However the concept of making a wire forming "shop aid" out of a
couple metal studs
(maybe lags) in a 2x12 seems like a pretty good quick & dirty way to
form these things.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote the following:
On Sep 10, 4:25 pm, George wrote:
[...]

I wasted my time building garage shelf units with 2" x 3" studs and
cutting up old Luan doors, which I had replaced with raised panel doors,
for the shelves (I still have two 30" luan doors leaning against a wall
waiting for more shelf construction).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2011 8:05 PM, HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs
driven in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit
heavier than coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an
interesting (and possibly rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Of course not ! That's why I'm here - to share knowledge, ideas, dreams.

Why are you here?

Is this a trick question? Unlike you I don't provide intentionally
misleading, inaccurate or dangerous information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2011 8:11 PM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 10, 4:25 pm, wrote:
On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Perhaps you could elaborate on your thoughts about Hey Bub's concept,
its potential flaws& failure modes.

I'll agree that spec'ing the wire size at "a bit heavier than coat-
hanger wire" is vague.
Needs to be more like 1/8" or 3/16 but that's still not very heavy&
easily formed by hand.

And easily unformed since the wires are in tension from what could be a
significant load. Two or three 3 2x10s and a bunch of household stuff
such as depicted weigh just a tad more than say a 2 oz mobile hanging in
front of the kitchen window.

The company who makes the "quickshelf" system chose heavier gauge
material and *spring steel* for obvious reasons.

But I'd more more worried about:
1) QuickShelf's suggestion of those wimpy& short 5/16" screw eyes.
2) Overloading the floor (or ceiling) joists or trusses.

However the concept of making a wire forming "shop aid" out of a
couple metal studs
(maybe lags) in a 2x12 seems like a pretty good quick& dirty way to
form these things.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

SamTakoy wrote:
[...]

Exactly, thats why they used substantial material and then heat treat
and temper it so it can't "unroll".

Note that that form of shelving is not real good for home canned
veggies- any tremors in the house, and they do act like a rope ladder.
It sucks when glass jars walk off a cliff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:

On Sep 10, 4:25*pm, George wrote:
On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

Perhaps you could elaborate on your thoughts about Hey Bub's concept,
its potential flaws & failure modes.

I'll agree that spec'ing the wire size at "a bit heavier than coat-
hanger wire" is vague.
Needs to be more like 1/8" or 3/16 but that's still not very heavy &
easily formed by hand.

If I was the OP & decided to make my own. I'd go for 1/4" and stop at
harborfreight on my way to the iron store-
http://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html

I don't remember what 'one job' I bought mine for, but I've been
looking for an excuse to dust it off for a few years.

But I'd more more worried about:
1) QuickShelf's suggestion of those wimpy & short 5/16" screw eyes.
2) Overloading the floor (or ceiling) joists or trusses.

Me too. I'd go for U hangars and through bolts- and not go far
from the wall to hang from the joists.

And by that time-- I'd probably just use 2x4 uprights and crosspieces.
But those metal things look cool.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

George writes:

On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

I don't think Heybub is trying to hurt anyone.

If I wanted free hanging shelves like this I might use some lengths
of chain attached with bolts.

I once made hanging shelves but I didn't want them moving around
so I used 2x4s.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:16:08 -0400, George
wrote:

Exactly, thats why they used substantial material and then heat treat
and temper it so it can't "unroll".

I'd bet any amount those components were not heat treated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:29:59 -0400, wrote:

George writes:

On 9/10/2011 5:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Aside:
I'll bet with a sturdy board (say, 2x12) and a couple of metal studs driven
in the board (say, 1/2" apart) you could take something a bit heavier than
coat-hanger wire and bend up your own. Be an interesting (and possibly
rewarding) project.

Don't you ever tire of providing intentionally misleading , inaccurate
or in this case dangerous information to folks?

I don't think Heybub is trying to hurt anyone.

If I wanted free hanging shelves like this I might use some lengths
of chain attached with bolts.

There you go. Me too. But good chain is expensive.

I once made hanging shelves but I didn't want them moving around
so I used 2x4s.

They look good enough for some special purpose when the floor isn't
available, but when you compare hanging weight on a joist to putting
the weight on the floor, or on studs transferring the weight to a
floor, they seem a bad idea.
Maybe that's why it's hard to find them.
About 7 years ago I added 2 22' joists to my garage because they
skimped when it was built 50 years ago. Still averages about 3'
apart.
Put 5/8" plywood on about half of it to store stuff.
Had 6 tire/wheels stacked 2 high up there spanning 2 joists about 6-8'
out from the wall.
After about 3 years I noticed the joists sagging a bit under the
tires.
Took the tires down and put them on the floor.
Some joists aren't meant to take a lot of weight.
I'm no carpenter, but I can spot sagging joists.
Wait....maybe it was a neighbor who noticed the sagging.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Exactly, thats why they used substantial material and then heat treat
and temper it so it can't "unroll".

I'd bet any amount those components were not heat treated.

There isn't anything exotic or expensive about heat treating and it
gives a good result using lighter gauge spring steel. They do include
this in the description:

"Made from hardened galvanized spring steel rod,"

Of course it might be fun for the whole family (and they could save $20
too) to build hangers from cold formed wire as suggested by Heybub. For
example the family could share priceless moments digging grandma or one
of their kids out from underneath the debris when the hangers failed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Exactly, thats why they used substantial material and then heat treat
and temper it so it can't "unroll".

I'd bet any amount those components were not heat treated.

There isn't anything exotic or expensive about heat treating and it gives
a good result using lighter gauge spring steel. They do include this in
the description:

"Made from hardened galvanized spring steel rod,"

Of course it might be fun for the whole family (and they could save $20
too) to build hangers from cold formed wire as suggested by Heybub. For
example the family could share priceless moments digging grandma or one of
their kids out from underneath the debris when the hangers failed.

I, too, was dubious of Heybub's claim. So, I wrote an e mail to the
website, don't know if I will hear anything from them. Heat treating these
would have a minimal cost, and immense liability protection. I'm sure if
they were pieces of garbage that we might have heard of them before now, or
there would be some trace of litigation on the Internet.

Steve

peg board hooks Herb Eneva Home Repair 6 May 24th 11 03:29 PM
Hooks - where to buy? Simon C. UK diy 5 March 11th 10 07:03 PM
help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 09:59 PM
Sail hooks Frayed Knots Metalworking 6 January 27th 06 10:33 AM
Hooks - where from? Sim G. UK diy 2 June 13th 05 08:23 AM