Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mattress frames

After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come
to make a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed
likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat,
which suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at
least one website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for
use with a memory foam mattress?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 06:11:21 -0400, Jim wrote:

After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come
to make a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed
likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat,
which suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at
least one website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for
use with a memory foam mattress?

Not I. But just as a data point. We got the memory foam set &
the springs that came with it are very much like a regular set of bed
springs.

And BTW-- I love the mattress. We've had ours for 4-5 years now.

It's been 20 since we had the waterbed & every once in a while, on a
cold winter night, I miss it just a tiny bit. But the memory foam
is the most comfortable I've ever experienced. [and my bones and
muscles are older now than they were for the others.g]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 6:11*am, Jim wrote:
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come
to make a change. *Number one on the list is a memory foam bed
likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat,
which suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. *But at
least one website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for
use with a memory foam mattress?

I believe most water beds are longs. I have not seen long queens and
kings. Only full and twin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come to make a
change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat, which
suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least one
website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for use with
a memory foam mattress?

Avoid Temprapedic brand. Their warranty is worthless. We found that out too
late. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2011 5:11 AM, Jim wrote:
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come to make
a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat, which
suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least one
website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for use
with a memory foam mattress?

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to relate my experience with
water beds for those who have not used one. My message is: DON'T! It
ruined my last marriage. We got a water bed and we just started
drifting apart.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you marry a WAVE?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAVES

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Allison"
wrote in message
eb.com...

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to relate my
experience with
water beds for those who have not used one. My message is:
DON'T! It
ruined my last marriage. We got a water bed and we just
started
drifting apart.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 11:11*am, Jim wrote:
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come
to make a change. *Number one on the list is a memory foam bed
likely from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat,
which suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. *But at
least one website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for
use with a memory foam mattress?

An interesting thing about memory foam mattresses is that they are
excellent insulators and ergo hot and sweaty at night compared with
other mattresses.

You might want to test out before commital.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/06/2011 10:56 AM, Robert Allison wrote:
On 9/6/2011 5:11 AM, Jim wrote:
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come
to make
a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely
from Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat,
which
suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least
one
website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame
for use
with a memory foam mattress?

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to relate my experience
with water beds for those who have not used one. My message is:
DON'T! It ruined my last marriage. We got a water bed and we just
started drifting apart.

Got mine after i regained my freedom. Enjoyed the comfort for
many years.

New Braunfels, eh? Came close to buying a place on Twinwood not
long ago.

Great community.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/06/2011 07:13 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Not I. But just as a data point. We got the memory foam set&
the springs that came with it are very much like a regular set of bed
springs.

And BTW-- I love the mattress. We've had ours for 4-5 years now.

It's been 20 since we had the waterbed& every once in a while, on a
cold winter night, I miss it just a tiny bit. But the memory foam
is the most comfortable I've ever experienced. [and my bones and
muscles are older now than they were for the others.g]

Jim

The Costco systems I'm looking at would likely be considered the
upper assembly. Meant to be placed on existing box springs or
platforms.

Hence my curiosity. Waterbed frames usually consist of a plywood
or particle board base. Suggests to me that should provide ample
support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote

An interesting thing about memory foam mattresses is that they are
excellent insulators and ergo hot and sweaty at night compared with
other mattresses.

You might want to test out before commital.

They do insulate well. In winter, not a problem, especially as we like to
keep the room cool. In summer, we run the AC most nights so no problem.
If, however, you are a hot and sweaty sleeper, it may be uncomfortable for
you. We love ours. When one person moves during the night, the other does
not get moved at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come to make
a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely from
Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat, which
suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least one
website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for use
with a memory foam mattress?

Avoid Temprapedic brand. Their warranty is worthless. We found that out
too late. WW

Why don't you tell us the story - please.

I have heard the same thing about the sleep number bed.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 8:40*pm, Jim wrote:
[...]

Measure it. Most waterbeds are not standard materess sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
After 30 years of being a waterbed user I feel the time has come to make
a change. Number one on the list is a memory foam bed likely from
Costco.

The basic support for these mattresses calls for solid and flat, which
suggests that a waterbed frame should do just fine. But at least one
website claimed otherwise.

Has anyone here transformed a hard side wooden waterbed frame for use
with a memory foam mattress?

Not with memory foam, but we have a pillowtop on a waterbed platform with no
box spring, and we have a 4" memory foam topper on top of the mattress. The
bed was comfy before but with the topper it's bliss!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2011 8:40 PM, Jim wrote:
On 09/06/2011 07:13 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Not I. But just as a data point. We got the memory foam set&
the springs that came with it are very much like a regular set of bed
springs.

And BTW-- I love the mattress. We've had ours for 4-5 years now.

It's been 20 since we had the waterbed& every once in a while, on a
cold winter night, I miss it just a tiny bit. But the memory foam
is the most comfortable I've ever experienced. [and my bones and
muscles are older now than they were for the others.g]

Jim

The Costco systems I'm looking at would likely be considered the upper
assembly. Meant to be placed on existing box springs or platforms.

Hence my curiosity. Waterbed frames usually consist of a plywood or
particle board base. Suggests to me that should provide ample support.

Try it and see if your back likes it. If not, you can always go back and
modify it later- you won't hurt the mattress with a month of
solid-surface use. Sams and real bedding stores sell low-profile box
springs for the extra-thick mattresses, for people that don't like
climbing a ladder into bed at night. What a box spring does is allow
entire mattress to flex a little, which does matter for larger folks
like me. I can tell the difference between standard mattress on box
springs, and mattress on plywood.

--
aem sends....

Mattress Dimension why it is Important Find Mattress Sales! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 31st 08 03:23 AM
Handmade Mattress for Home Crib Boat RV: Beds By Design, The Mattress Makers, MI [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 17th 07 07:03 PM
mattress R S Home Ownership 0 September 17th 04 01:05 AM
Mattress encasing that preserves the feel of memory foam mattress Sanjay Punjab Home Ownership 10 August 27th 04 11:08 AM