Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why such a big plane?

OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the
air the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these
days. Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...arford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...yFjH_blog.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2011 6:29 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the
air the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these
days. Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...arford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...yFjH_blog.html

Micky, how many unpressurized Piper Cup light planes have you ever known
to fly at 15,000 and 26,000 feet altitude? You do know that
a pilot would have to go on oxygen above 10,000 feet and I doubt a Piper
Cub could become airborne with the LIDAR on board or the communications
equipment necessary to interface with ground stations. I'm not trying to
be mean but you should do a bit of research into the mission they're
planning and see what is required of their aircraft. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Your accountant may understand. If you already own a flying
laboratory (i.e. have already paid for its equipment, maintenance
and aircrew, and must pay its future costs whether in use or idle)
it may be cheaper to use this rather than rent a smaller aircraft
and convert it (installing nine scientific instruments etc.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 8:02*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

OT *Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. *I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Your accountant may understand. * If you already own a flying
laboratory (i.e. have already paid for its equipment, maintenance
and aircrew, and must pay its future costs whether in use or idle)
it may be cheaper to use this rather than rent a smaller aircraft
and convert it (installing nine scientific instruments etc.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

That's a P3. Commonly used by the navy as sub hunter but also used as
a research platform by numerous agencies. Originally based on the
commercial lockheed electra shortened with larger engines. Can carry
about it's own weight is fuel and can fly on just 2 of the 4 engines
allows this plan to stay airborn for easily 14 to 16 hours or more.
This is also the plane that they fly through hurricanes. They can
carry a myriad of electronic equipment and can be easily refitted for
various tasks. I'm sure this is what nasa already had as an arial
research platform and it makes perfect sense for them to use it for
this study.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

And how much power can a Piper Cub provide for instruments?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2011 8:49 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Duh, you could attach a windmill to the plane and make the needed
electricity like that. finger up my nose scratching my brain :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2011 7:36 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 13, 8:02 am, "Don wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Did you read any of the articles about the altitudes at which they would
be flying? The second article mentioned 15,000 and 26,000 feet. I'll bet
it's more economical than a C-130 or one of the comparable sized NASA
jet aircraft to operate per hour.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the
air the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these
days. Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...arford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...yFjH_blog.html

For one thing, it is a plane they already have and is properly equipped to
handle the needs. A Cub cannot handle the weight, the instruments, the
altitude. Barely enough room to fit my ass in one these day, but I flew one
many years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...

OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Presumably because this research aircraft (based on the Navy's
anti-submarine patrol aircraft) with the necessary instruments aboard
already exists.

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger.

Given that the Piper Cub has been out of production for over half a century
and has a useful load capacity of under 500 lbs., probably not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2011 7:43 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:01:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 7/13/2011 6:29 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably approve,
but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine, properller
plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the air
the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these days.
Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...-altitude-air-

quality-flights-over-northeast-maryland-flights-will-be-visible-along-
i-95-in-harford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...post/heads-up-

dc-baltimore-low-flying-nasa-plane-to-probe-air-quality-over-i-95-and-bw-
parkway/2011/06/24/AGWSyFjH_blog.html

Micky, how many unpressurized Piper Cup light planes have you ever known
to fly at 15,000 and 26,000 feet altitude? You do know that a pilot
would have to go on oxygen above 10,000 feet and I doubt a Piper Cub
could become airborne with the LIDAR on board or the communications
equipment necessary to interface with ground stations. I'm not trying to
be mean but you should do a bit of research into the mission they're
planning and see what is required of their aircraft. :-)

TDD

Did you know most commercial airliners pressurize for 8000 feet? The new
Boeing 787 Dreamliner is the first i know of to pressurize for 6000.
Pilots claim it helps their endurance.

I think I remember reading something about it. I know that folks who
live in The Andes at high altitudes have incredible lung capacity.
The new Dreamliner is supposed to have the best in fresh air of any
airliner in existence. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

Given that the Piper Cub has been out of production for over half a century
and has a useful load capacity of under 500 lbs., probably not.

And worth noting that WRT aircraft, "useful load" includes people, fuel,
and oil. Put two average guys in a small airplane and you might not even
be able to fill the fuel tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2011 7:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

I am an instrument rated private pilot but not active. Friend in another
state bought a Super Cub (PA-18) and we had a blast tooting around at 60
with the door off at low altitude.

But even that bigger version of the Cub certainly couldn't haul around a
rack full of equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Given that the Piper Cub has been out of production for over half a
century
and has a useful load capacity of under 500 lbs., probably not.

And worth noting that WRT aircraft, "useful load" includes people, fuel,
and oil. Put two average guys in a small airplane and you might not even
be able to fill the fuel tanks.

It's been many years since I last flew in a Bird Dog--it would take a very
skinny pilot to compensate for my heft these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

OOPS! How on earth did that post happen? Must have been a server glitch.

TDD

First Plane? DonkeyHody Woodworking 31 May 1st 07 06:57 AM
Router plane vs Plough plane nautilus Woodworking 1 January 17th 07 06:02 PM
Rabbet Block Plane v. Rabbet Plane for just rabbets Jay Pique Woodworking 2 December 24th 06 12:52 AM
Plane ignorant person needs some plane advice. Modat22 Woodworking 20 June 2nd 05 10:55 PM
Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases? Eric Anderson Woodworking 23 January 18th 04 06:18 AM