Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why such a big plane?

On 7/13/2011 7:43 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:01:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 7/13/2011 6:29 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably approve,
but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine, properller
plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the air
the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these days.
Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...-altitude-air-

quality-flights-over-northeast-maryland-flights-will-be-visible-along-
i-95-in-harford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...post/heads-up-

dc-baltimore-low-flying-nasa-plane-to-probe-air-quality-over-i-95-and-bw-
parkway/2011/06/24/AGWSyFjH_blog.html

Micky, how many unpressurized Piper Cup light planes have you ever known
to fly at 15,000 and 26,000 feet altitude? You do know that a pilot
would have to go on oxygen above 10,000 feet and I doubt a Piper Cub
could become airborne with the LIDAR on board or the communications
equipment necessary to interface with ground stations. I'm not trying to
be mean but you should do a bit of research into the mission they're
planning and see what is required of their aircraft. :-)

TDD

Did you know most commercial airliners pressurize for 8000 feet? The new
Boeing 787 Dreamliner is the first i know of to pressurize for 6000.
Pilots claim it helps their endurance.

I think I remember reading something about it. I know that folks who
live in The Andes at high altitudes have incredible lung capacity.
The new Dreamliner is supposed to have the best in fresh air of any
airliner in existence. :-)

TDD

OOPS! How on earth did that post happen? Must have been a server glitch.

TDD