Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router plane vs Plough plane

Hi all!

I have a doubt about this kind of planes... tried to search on the
groups, but didn't find much (sorry If I'm asking the same again).

What would be the practical difference between a plough plane, and a
router plane? I have a Stanley light combination plane (the one with 17
cutters), that I use very often to do dados, slots, etc. So far it
satisfied all my needs.. but that makes me wonder what would be the
purpose of a router plane. It seems to me that a plough plane would be
more versatile, but as I never had a router plane, I can't tell.. Is
there any situation in which a router plane would be better?

Thank you!
Nautilus

Posted to rec.woodworking

nautilus wrote:

| What would be the practical difference between a plough plane, and a
| router plane? I have a Stanley light combination plane (the one
| with 17 cutters), that I use very often to do dados, slots, etc. So
| far it satisfied all my needs.. but that makes me wonder what would
| be the purpose of a router plane. It seems to me that a plough
| plane would be more versatile, but as I never had a router plane, I
| can't tell.. Is there any situation in which a router plane would
| be better?

A router plane excells at producing an even surface at a fixed depth
below the surface of a workpiece where edges are already well-defined.
It works as well for irregular boundaries as for straight line
boundaries.

Your plough plane excells at cutting grooves and simultaneously
producing well defined edges and lowered areas in straight lines.

The two don't really compete for work.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar