Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default drssing router plane blades

I'm lost about this new acquisition: an old stanley No. 71 router.

Is there a pdf file or something on the 'Net of the instructions that
come with it?

In the absense of that,

1. Is the double edged blade (bit?) supposed to have a rounded tip? I'm
honing this bit and the previous owner used a file to dress the edge on
both it and the others, and wasn't too particular about the angle of it,
where it was making contact with the bits, or about leaving marks
behind. It appears that a rounded tip was favored, however. Seems like
that might reduce splitting on an unsharp edge, but is it needed or
desired for a sharp edge?

2. There are two kinds of blades, and I don't know when which is used
for what. Are there any explanations of these and how they're used? (I
mean, beyond that they are used for routing dados, etc...)

Thanks in advance...

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

This site has manual(s).
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/st...c/stanmisc.htm
It's not working for me at the moment as I get a "... not found
on this server" error when I click a document link. Hopefully
it'll work for you.
If not I could go photograph my manual, if I can find it.

Also see http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm

Art

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Wood Butcher wrote:
This site has manual(s).
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/st...c/stanmisc.htm
It's not working for me at the moment as I get a "... not found
on this server" error when I click a document link. Hopefully
it'll work for you.

I couldn't reach them, either.

I tried sending an email, if I get a response I can post an update.

If not I could go photograph my manual, if I can find it.

If you did that I'd be obligated to convert them to pdf files and set up
a web page anyone could reach them from... and I'd still be much obliged.

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

I'm lost about this new acquisition: an old stanley No. 71 router.

Is there a pdf file or something on the 'Net of the instructions that
come with it?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

Posted in ABPW.
Quality is so-so.
If you need better I'll try and get my daughter
to scan it on her computer.

Art

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:wvednZySqqpTcQ7enZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@forethought. net...

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

I'm lost about this new acquisition: an old stanley No. 71 router.

Is there a pdf file or something on the 'Net of the instructions that
come with it?

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wood Butcher

I went out and measured mine. I bought my 71 on
ebay as "never been used", so I believe these to be
the factory grind. The grind marks are quite coarse
and there appears to be no honing ever done to them.

1/4" = 37°
1/2" = 31°
V = 32° [each bevel to bottom]
90° [at the point - cutting edge to cutting edge]

Art

"Enoch Root" wrote in message ...

Any idea what the factory angle is on the bevel?

er

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Wood Butcher wrote:
I went out and measured mine. I bought my 71 on
ebay as "never been used", so I believe these to be
the factory grind. The grind marks are quite coarse
and there appears to be no honing ever done to them.

1/4" = 37°
1/2" = 31°
V = 32° [each bevel to bottom]
90° [at the point - cutting edge to cutting edge]

Thanks! And thanks for the post in binary...

er
--
email not valid