Default Making A2 Plane Blades

Hi,

In the MSC catalog the price of 3/16" x 1 3/4" x 18" of A2 steel bar
stock is $35. This is enough to make five Krenov type blades (3 1/2"
long).

One A2 blade from David Finck is $47 (with cap iron)

So that made me think maybe I should make my own blades. Maybe it is a
lot cheaper?

Does anyone have any experience working with A2 bar stock? Does the bar
stock need to be heat treated after shaping it? Are cap iron's
hardened?

Thanks,
Peter

AAvK

Hi,

In the MSC catalog the price of 3/16" x 1 3/4" x 18" of A2 steel bar
stock is $35. This is enough to make five Krenov type blades (3 1/2"
long).

One A2 blade from David Finck is $47 (with cap iron)

So that made me think maybe I should make my own blades. Maybe it is a
lot cheaper?

Does anyone have any experience working with A2 bar stock? Does the bar
stock need to be heat treated after shaping it? Are cap iron's
hardened?

Thanks,
Peter

You can read http://www.hocktools.com/ (makes krenov type blades)
on how A2 is treated for hardening. I know a local machinist that is
experienced working with A2, he says it's tough stuff, hard on bits and
slower to cut through, probably generates more heat.

In my experience it is not as hard to sharpen as a finished plane blade
than is tauted to be. But it does take a longer, and takes a fantastic edge
that lasts.

You want Krenove style blades, this site does not list them but is a
much cheaper site to buy them from, Canada:
http://www.spehar-toolworks.com/index.html as well as
http://www.leevalley.com/ , both for standard handplane irons in A2.
(giggle)

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

arw01

If you buy the plate, check your yellow pages for a water jet cutter.
For under $100 you could have all the blades cut out, with holes and
notches if you need them. Your cost per blade is still way under
individual costs.

Alan