Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default OT Why such a big plane?

"micky" wrote in message ...

OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Presumably because this research aircraft (based on the Navy's
anti-submarine patrol aircraft) with the necessary instruments aboard
already exists.

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger.

Given that the Piper Cub has been out of production for over half a century
and has a useful load capacity of under 500 lbs., probably not.