Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why such a big plane?

"micky" wrote in message
OT Why such a big plane?

They are doing an aerial survey of air pollution this month over the
area between Baltimore and DC. I don't disapprove, I probably
approve, but I dont' unsderstand why they are using a 4-engine,
properller plane. 117 feet long (or wide)

Can't they ;use a Piper Cub or maybe a littel bigger. It says it
carries a suite of nine scientific instruments that will sample the
air the plane flies through, but how big can those things be these
days. Is there anything left that is even as big as a 12" crt tv.

http://www.daggerpress.com/2011/06/2...arford-county/

Scroll down to the picture.

Another article for those who hunger for mo
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...yFjH_blog.html

For one thing, it is a plane they already have and is properly equipped to
handle the needs. A Cub cannot handle the weight, the instruments, the
altitude. Barely enough room to fit my ass in one these day, but I flew one
many years ago.