Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and
got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet,
ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we
turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants,
flowers, etc.

----

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie diameter).

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------ MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Of course a narrow shovel (or post-hole digger maybe? -- we have one left
eons ago by prior house-owner).

Haven't looked yet, but I guess the mushrooms go all the way down to
the ground-down stump.

And -- once dug up and tossed, the *real* question:

How to keep them from coming back?

THANKS!

David

PS: If you want, I can take and upload pictures of them, perhaps
even of when half and fully dug out?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 26 Jun 2011 03:31:38 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

FWIW, your capital letters made me thingk this was spam.

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and
got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet,
ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we
turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants,
flowers, etc.

----

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

Don't eat them.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie diameter).

For sure don't eat them.

If they're not round, I call them toadstools.

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------ MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Won't they stop on their own? Wash them away with one of those
narrow squirt nozzles for garden hoses? The one I have in mind is 2
to 3" long, usually all brass, and has no handle or valve or anything,
though you can screw it onto a separate valve.

Destroying them this way will help get out any anger you're feeling
about anything, especially them.

Of course a narrow shovel (or post-hole digger maybe? -- we have one left
eons ago by prior house-owner).

Haven't looked yet, but I guess the mushrooms go all the way down to
the ground-down stump.

They go a lot lower than that! AIUI, the mustroom shows up when the
below ground part is running out of food. Since the tree is gone, its
roots are iiuc rotting rather than living. Maybe that somehow means
less food for the mushroom.

Semding up mushrooms is it's last ditch "effort" to live, somewhere
else.

And -- once dug up and tossed, the *real* question:

How to keep them from coming back?

I think eventually they stop.

Wikip
"Though mushroom fruiting bodies are short-lived, the underlying
mycelium can itself be long-lived and massive. A colony of Armillaria
solidipes (formerly known as Armillaria ostoyae) in Malheur National
Forest in the United States is estimated to be 2,400 years old,
possibly older, and spans an estimated 2,200 acres (8.9 km2). Most of
the fungus is underground and in decaying wood or dying tree roots in
the form of white mycelia combined with black shoelace-like
rhizomorphs that bridge colonized separated woody substrates.[15]"

I don't think yours will last more than a few years, showing up only
once in a while during that time. Where do you live?

THANKS!

David

PS: If you want, I can take and upload pictures of them, perhaps
even of when half and fully dug out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message

Very large tree got sick and had to come down. . . .
. . . LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie
diameter).
To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.
. . .
How do I get rid of these things?

First, it would help to identify them (and thus identify the
underground fungus structures you cannot see.) The fastest
route would be to take photos (with a ruler in each picture to
indicate scale or size) and show them to a "mycologist" at
either an Agricultural Extension department (governmental)
or the Biology Dept. of some local college.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 2:31 AM, David Combs wrote:
[...]

You are aware that if you disturb a mushroom by whacking with a shovel,
it will release an abundance of spores that will spread over your
property. Check out this gardening site for some easy to understand
information about mushrooms on your lawn:

http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant...oms-090809.htm

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some
mushrooms appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie
diameter).

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------ MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Why would you want to? Mychorrizal organisms of any type are very
beneficial to the soil, helping to break down substances into usable
material for other plants; this is why many species of trees (especially
coniferous) actualy depend upon a healthy mychorrizal colony for their
survival and nutrition.

If you have indeed planted a garden at the area, you would be best served to
leave them be. They will decrease in number in time, as the last remnants
of your tree are consumed, and in the meantime will provide a healthy
environment for the plants and soil which will continue to live.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 9:41 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
David Combs wrote:

[...]

I was thinking the same thing. It is a natural process as you described
that creates healthy soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

========

I'd like to see a picture too. A shot of the undersides & stems (if any) are
also valuable in identification. If you don't like them, just pick them &
toss. Might as well not worry about spreading any spores removing them,
since they will by the zillions anyway unless you pick them before the
spores mature (such as before the caps open up). They are decomposing
something in the ground. Does it look like they might be growing along where
the old roots are? If so they're wood rotters and won't stop fruiting until
the component (lignin, cellulose) in the wood is depleted, or the roots are
removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and
got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet,
ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we
turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants,
flowers, etc.

----

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie diameter).

A foot across! - I'M DROOLING!

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:28:43 -0400, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
-snip-

A foot across! - I'M DROOLING!

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

There is a chicken of the woods that has showed up on a pine tree in a
local park 3 years in a row. I'd wager that there are 20 pounds of
mushrooms on that thing before it starts to fade.

The down side is-- it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular
tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big
ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.g]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

You could just leave them. They won't be there long and their presence adds
a quaintness and unique feature to your lawn.

They might even attract fairies and leprechauns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
-snip-

A foot across! - I'M DROOLING!

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

There is a chicken of the woods that has showed up on a pine tree in a
local park 3 years in a row. I'd wager that there are 20 pounds of
mushrooms on that thing before it starts to fade.

The down side is--it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular
tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big
ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.g]

Jim
====

But then, when you think about how much of the other vegs we eat every day
are hit by birds....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011, "Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote:

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

I've seen them bigger. But often no longer fresh. Wondering if he had a
chicken-of-the-woods is why I asked for a picture.

Note to David: Also post where you are located. That could help id them.
Though little brown ones generally can't be identified and are assumed
poisonous.

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 7:03 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011, "Bob(but not THAT wrote:

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

I've seen them bigger. But often no longer fresh. Wondering if he had a
chicken-of-the-woods is why I asked for a picture.

Note to David: Also post where you are located. That could help id them.
Though little brown ones generally can't be identified and are assumed
poisonous.

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

When y'all starting talking chicken-of-the-woods, my first thought was
of the Giant Brown Chickens (aka wild turkeys) that hang out in the
woods behind my place. Damn near tame, from the old widow lady next door
putting out a wash tub of feed every couple of days. I've seen upwards
of 30 at a time.

In the Baltic states of northern Europe, where my family came from,
mushroom hunting is a big annual deal, and little kids learn the safe
ones by the time they are school age. My family neglected to teach me
that, or maybe they weren't sure of the species on this side of the
pond, so I just look, but don't eat. With all the storm-downed trees
here this month, I'm expecting to see plenty of them come late summer.
Last summer, one guy a block away had a front yard of adorable spherical
ones, 3-8 inches in diameter before the caps unfurled. Looked like a
science-fiction cityscape.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:28:57 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

When y'all starting talking chicken-of-the-woods, my first thought was
of the Giant Brown Chickens (aka wild turkeys) that hang out in the
woods behind my place.

Here is what chicken mushrooms look like:
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Chicken_mushroom/

They are very edible and taste like chicken.

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

I don't think yours will last more than a few years, showing up only
once in a while during that time. Where do you live?

New York State (New Rochelle, just north of the BRONX)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

I don't think yours will last more than a few years, showing up only
once in a while during that time. Where do you live?

New York State (New Rochelle, just north of the BRONX)

David
====
That narrows it down to about 10,000 species.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
-snip-

A foot across! - I'M DROOLING!

Best I can ever get is a chicken-of-the-woods about the size of a
grapefruit.

There is a chicken of the woods that has showed up on a pine tree in a
local park 3 years in a row. I'd wager that there are 20 pounds of
mushrooms on that thing before it starts to fade.

The down side is-- it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular
tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big
ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.g]

So you think there are invisible animals in the woods? Are they
invisible dogs or some unknown animal, like wolyotes?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, all.

Didn't get to look at the responses until just now.

Maybe "mushroom" is the wrong word.

(Too dark now for photo -- will do it tomorrow morning.)

It doesn't look like a real mushroom -- stalk plus hat, like
what you buy at the store.

Each one looks like a cauliflower, sort of.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

My family neglected to teach me
that, or maybe they weren't sure of the species on this side of the
pond,

That makes a big difference. Did you hear about the family recently
from China, I think it was, a few years ago who thought they knew what
was safe to eat, and they all died.

so I just look, but don't eat

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) writes:

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie diameter).

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

I had a tree cut down but left the stump. I get mushrooms about half
a foot across. I don't touch them but I think they look pretty cool:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom.jpg

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

Wouldn't attempt to kill them. They're good for the soil.

If they really bother you, cut off the top with a shovel.
Only takes a few seconds. If they come back and they still bother
you do the same. I would not attempt to go after the underground
structure, it's probably a waste of time.

Grew up near New Rochelle (in the Bronx not far from the Pelham Manor
border). Spent a lot of time on Shore Road and the surrounding woods.
Spectacular area. Used to swim in the Eastchester River.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message

Thanks, all.

Didn't get to look at the responses until just now.

Maybe "mushroom" is the wrong word.

(Too dark now for photo -- will do it tomorrow morning.)

It doesn't look like a real mushroom -- stalk plus hat, like
what you buy at the store.

Each one looks like a cauliflower, sort of.

David

Sounds like "The Brain from Planet Arous"

http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviere...s/B/arous.html

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, wrote:

I had a tree cut down but left the stump. I get mushrooms about half
a foot across. I don't touch them but I think they look pretty cool:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom.jpg

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See:
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/C...acea/h0001.htm

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not
good to eat. See: http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Mica_cap/

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at page bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, (David Combs) wrote:

Each one looks like a cauliflower, sort of.

Was the cut down tree an oak?

Did you look at the pictures of the chicken mushroom?

Here is a page on them:
http://www.messiah.edu/Oakes/fungi_o...sulphureus.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, wrote:

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

This is a better page on mica caps:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus...ica%20Cap.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/26/2011 09:56 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, wrote:

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

This is a better page on mica caps:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mus...ica%20Cap.html

its edible, but not worth the time to cook it.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

===C. butyracea is terrestrial. I suspect they are Pleurotus.====

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not
good to eat. See: http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Mica_cap/

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at page bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:36:40 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

The down side is-- it is a few yards from the dog park & a popular
tree to mark. So I just watch and drool. [and wonder if the big
ones we see in the woods are marked by critters we don't see.g]

So you think there are invisible animals in the woods? Are they
invisible dogs or some unknown animal, like wolyotes?

Just a few Whitewalkers in my woods.g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss writes:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, wrote:

I had a tree cut down but left the stump. I get mushrooms about half
a foot across. I don't touch them but I think they look pretty cool:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom.jpg

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See:
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/C...acea/h0001.htm

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushrooms.jpg

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not
good to eat. See: http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Mica_cap/

Yep, they leave a large black spot after a while.

The lawn does especially well where they grow.

Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at page bottom).

Thanks.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nelly" writes:

"Don Wiss" wrote in message

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, wrote:

I had a tree cut down but left the stump. I get mushrooms about half
a foot across. I don't touch them but I think they look pretty cool:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom.jpg

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See:
http://foragingpictures.com/plants/C...acea/h0001.htm

===C. butyracea is terrestrial. I suspect they are Pleurotus.====

Perhaps a better view for ID purposes:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom2.jpg

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom.jpg

===C. butyracea is terrestrial. I suspect they are Pleurotus.====

Perhaps a better view for ID purposes:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom2.jpg

===If they're not Pleurotus I don't know what else they'd be. The gill shape
is wrong for Clitocybe, which'd be my biggest worry AFA edibility. Most
often Oysters have white or whitish gills (caps as well), but the books say
they can be gray-tinged, as these seem to be. I've never encountered them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PICTURES!!!

go to www.cuffs88.com/mushrooms

I tried to take a stereo-pair, by shooting one, then moving the camera
left 3 or 4 inches, and shooting again.

Actually, I tried that twice (on a different mushroom), but I think
somehow it didn't get included (one of the two of the 2nd stereo pair).

And one shot across the garden (from maybe 4 ft height), so you can
see that there's a four or five in that one shot.

Anyway, looks to me that they're all the same type.

So, what conclusion do YOU GUYS come up with?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
(David Combs) wrote:

-snip-
PS: If you want, I can take and upload pictures of them, perhaps
even of when half and fully dug out?

What kind of tree?

Huge, old, beautiful BEECH tree.

where are you in the world? and a picture or two.
Get one from under the 'monsters' if you can.

Maybe I [or someone closer] will come over and harvest them for you.

Jim

Took pictures today, and they're now at www.cuffs88.com/mushrooms.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message ...

PICTURES!!!

go to www.cuffs88.com/mushrooms

I tried to take a stereo-pair, by shooting one, then moving the camera
left 3 or 4 inches, and shooting again.

Actually, I tried that twice (on a different mushroom), but I think
somehow it didn't get included (one of the two of the 2nd stereo pair).

And one shot across the garden (from maybe 4 ft height), so you can
see that there's a four or five in that one shot.

Anyway, looks to me that they're all the same type.

So, what conclusion do YOU GUYS come up with?

Thanks,

David
===

Curious to see what all THE GUYS come up with!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2011 9:28 PM, David Combs wrote:
PICTURES!!!

go to www.cuffs88.com/mushrooms

I tried to take a stereo-pair, by shooting one, then moving the camera
left 3 or 4 inches, and shooting again.

Actually, I tried that twice (on a different mushroom), but I think
somehow it didn't get included (one of the two of the 2nd stereo pair).

And one shot across the garden (from maybe 4 ft height), so you can
see that there's a four or five in that one shot.

Anyway, looks to me that they're all the same type.

So, what conclusion do YOU GUYS come up with?

Thanks,

David

If I was going to try to kill the fungi (likely a losing battle), I'd
try adding a lot of lime to the soil....fungi tend to like damp, acid
soil. Why kill them? Treat 'em like wild flowers, add some moss and
ferns and you have a really cool flower bed. Whatever wood beneath the
soil that nourishes them will have to rot away.

When I did nature photography in Florida, I once found a huge fungus
similar to yours...the only day I was ever out without my camera...that
looked like a giant carnation. About two feet across, light peachy/pink
color, growing on a fallen live-oak log. There were lots of interesting
fungi (and spider webs) in the woods, and mushrooms seemed to be a
favorite food of squirrels and mice.