Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Had tree stump ground down, how to fill in hole?

I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you leave any wood, roots or grindings in the hole as fill, the hole will
sag when it decomposes and you will get some really nice mushrooms in that
spot. It could take 1-3 years for this to become evident.

Clean the hole out, fill with a little soil, pack, fill a little more, pack
some more until it is level. Water it in and add more soil if necessary.
If it was a big tree, there will still be roots deeper down and you still
may get sag later. Just don't build a spa or something that needs to be
stable without improving the spot.

"Bill" wrote in message
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Add some dirt to the hole, tamp it down. Add some more dirt,
tamp it down, repeat until you have a mound over the stump
about a foot higher than the surrounding soil. It will be
flat after six months.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

I like to plant trees there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Add some dirt to the hole, tamp it down. Add some more dirt, tamp it
down, repeat until you have a mound over the stump about a foot higher
than the surrounding soil. It will be flat after six months.

You can have some rock and stones in the lower levels too. You only need
topsoil on the top. It can be clay on the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:55:37 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

That's about right. There is a best time to plant grass seed for your
particular location so you may need to overseed at that time. Use a
starter fertilizer, protect with straw, keep moist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

The lot upon which my home was built (1991) had many mature trees removed and
their stumps ground down to below surface level.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Yes.

However, you should be prepared for a "lifetime" of sinking ground and
topping-off with soil and re-seeding as the remnants of the tree rot away
below grade. My back yard is pocked with holes that can "never" be
permanently filled. It's an ongoing process. Good luck!
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 3:55 am, "Bill" wrote:
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

What happened to the tree- In the sense of was the tree dead, if so
did it die naturally of old age, or was it diseased?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Bill wrote:
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Huh?? What happened to the material that came out of the hole? Mix
the soil with the tree chips and refill the hole - it'll make good
compost.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red wrote:
Bill wrote:
I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Huh?? What happened to the material that came out of the hole? Mix
the soil with the tree chips and refill the hole - it'll make good
compost.

Not necessarily -- walnut, for example, is quite nasty chemically for
growing much of anything else. Many other species have their own
characteristics that are less than desirable as compost material--the
high tannic acid content of oak, for another example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Bill wrote:

I have a big hole where my tree stump used to be.

Is it as easy as adding topsoil, then some grass seed?

Or there there some tips?

Huh?? What happened to the material that came out of the hole? Mix
the soil with the tree chips and refill the hole - it'll make good
compost.

Red

Not a good idea. If someone wants to use wood chips for building
soil,it's better in a compost heap or as mulch. When it decays, if left
in the hole, then there will be voids or a depression. I would get a
load of fill soil, depending on how large the hole, finish off with
about 6" topsoil, plant grass seed or sod.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
Huh?? What happened to the material that came out of the hole? Mix
the soil with the tree chips and refill the hole - it'll make good
compost.

And once it decays, you can fill it again, correctly this time. That wood
will continue to rot for a long time.

Be sure, also, that the stump is gone for a good distance down. About 12 or
more years ago I had to take down a tree that was dying. It had about a 12"
diameter trunk. We cut it down OK, then took the stump down about 8 inches
and filled the hole. The stump eventually rotted out the rest of the way.
What I did not realize at the time was that the builder had filled the land
a bit around the tree at least a foot or two. My wife happened to step on
the slight depression and almost her entire let went into the hole.
Fortunately, my SIL and grandson were there to help her out. It took many
years for it to do that, but it left a void. I've since filled it in with
some stone, clay, then topsoil and it has been ok, just a minor 2"
depression about a year later from the final settling.