Posted to alt.home.repair
Nelly[_2_] Nelly[_2_] is offline

Default MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

"David Combs" wrote in message ...

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and
got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet,
ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we
turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants,
flowers, etc.

----

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie
diameter).

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Of course a narrow shovel (or post-hole digger maybe? -- we have one left
eons ago by prior house-owner).

Haven't looked yet, but I guess the mushrooms go all the way down to
the ground-down stump.

And --once dug up and tossed, the *real* question:

How to keep them from coming back?

THANKS!

David

PS: If you want, I can take and upload pictures of them, perhaps
even of when half and fully dug out?

========

I'd like to see a picture too. A shot of the undersides & stems (if any) are
also valuable in identification. If you don't like them, just pick them &
toss. Might as well not worry about spreading any spores removing them,
since they will by the zillions anyway unless you pick them before the
spores mature (such as before the caps open up). They are decomposing
something in the ground. Does it look like they might be growing along where
the old roots are? If so they're wood rotters and won't stop fruiting until
the component (lignin, cellulose) in the wood is depleted, or the roots are
removed.