Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

On 26 Jun 2011 03:31:38 -0400, (David Combs) wrote:

FWIW, your capital letters made me thingk this was spam.

Very large tree got sick and had to come down.

Then the usual "grinding-down of the stump". (I then paid more and
got it ground down even more, to maybe 1 foot beneath the surface.)

Around the (alive) tree was a rock-edged circle, radius maybe 6 feet,
ground within raised up maybe 6 inches.

Anyway, after the tree was taken down and stump ground way down, we
turned that rock-edged circle into a garden, lots of different plants,
flowers, etc.

----

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some mushrooms
appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

Don't eat them.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie diameter).

For sure don't eat them.

If they're not round, I call them toadstools.

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------ MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Won't they stop on their own? Wash them away with one of those
narrow squirt nozzles for garden hoses? The one I have in mind is 2
to 3" long, usually all brass, and has no handle or valve or anything,
though you can screw it onto a separate valve.

Destroying them this way will help get out any anger you're feeling
about anything, especially them.

Of course a narrow shovel (or post-hole digger maybe? -- we have one left
eons ago by prior house-owner).

Haven't looked yet, but I guess the mushrooms go all the way down to
the ground-down stump.

They go a lot lower than that! AIUI, the mustroom shows up when the
below ground part is running out of food. Since the tree is gone, its
roots are iiuc rotting rather than living. Maybe that somehow means
less food for the mushroom.

Semding up mushrooms is it's last ditch "effort" to live, somewhere
else.

And -- once dug up and tossed, the *real* question:

How to keep them from coming back?

I think eventually they stop.

Wikip
"Though mushroom fruiting bodies are short-lived, the underlying
mycelium can itself be long-lived and massive. A colony of Armillaria
solidipes (formerly known as Armillaria ostoyae) in Malheur National
Forest in the United States is estimated to be 2,400 years old,
possibly older, and spans an estimated 2,200 acres (8.9 km2). Most of
the fungus is underground and in decaying wood or dying tree roots in
the form of white mycelia combined with black shoelace-like
rhizomorphs that bridge colonized separated woody substrates.[15]"

I don't think yours will last more than a few years, showing up only
once in a while during that time. Where do you live?

THANKS!

David

PS: If you want, I can take and upload pictures of them, perhaps
even of when half and fully dug out?