Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

On 6/26/2011 9:41 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
David Combs wrote:

Lots of rain in the last two or three weeks. So of course some
mushrooms appear here and there in the lawn. SMALL mushrooms.

But, in that rock-edged garden, good lord!, LOTS of mushrooms, MONSTER
mushrooms. Each being between maybe 8 inches to ONE FOOT across (ie
diameter).

To date, I have not even touched one of them, they're so gross, much
less tried to dig one up.

------ MY QUESTION:

How do I get rid of these things?

Why would you want to? Mychorrizal organisms of any type are very
beneficial to the soil, helping to break down substances into usable
material for other plants; this is why many species of trees (especially
coniferous) actualy depend upon a healthy mychorrizal colony for their
survival and nutrition.

If you have indeed planted a garden at the area, you would be best served to
leave them be. They will decrease in number in time, as the last remnants
of your tree are consumed, and in the meantime will provide a healthy
environment for the plants and soil which will continue to live.

Jon

I was thinking the same thing. It is a natural process as you described
that creates healthy soil.