Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting rubber tiles

What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

We just cut up an awful lot of tiles.

We used a "decoupeerzaag", (dutch) or according to google,
a jigsaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:00*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
gcotterl wrote:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

We just cut up an awful lot of tiles.

We used a "decoupeerzaag", (dutch) or according to google,
a jigsaw.

Try a regular circular saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
gcotterl spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

Make a little jig. What you want to do is bend the tile slightly. Put the
tile in the jig and tighten the clamps to bend it slightly. Score with a
SHARP utility knife slightly so that the cut in the tile is bent, and opens
slightly. Make your second cut using a straight edge, or the piece you have
made your jig out of. The second cut will be right in the first, and the
bending action of the jig will make it cut very easily by spreading the cut
wider as you cut deeper.

I'd make a jig like this:

Cut a piece of plywood oversize. Make three 1x3's with one hole drilled one
inch in from each end. The sizes of these things will depend on the size of
the tiles you are using. Cut a 2x4 on edge to get a slight angle, about 200
degrees.. Attach the two pieces of plywood to make a bent work surface.
You are making a slightly bent work area to clamp down a tile, then clamp
down the part you want to cut off so that the bending action will allow you
to keep the cut open. It should take about four slices to cut through each
tile.

If you have ever cut conveyor belt, you know how hard that is. Some of it
is 1/2" or better, and some of it has reinforcing webbing. This is the fast
way to cut heavy industrial conveyor belt made of some VERY tough rubber.
It should work on your softer rubber tiles.

The angle of your breakover should be about 200 degrees. So, if you look at
a 200 degree angle from the side, you would be looking at the side of your
jig, with two clamps on the big side, and one on the small side. Use long
carriage bolts and wingnuts to hold the 1 x 3's tight against the tiles.

It's very simple, although it sounds a little complicated. If you can't
grasp this, reply, and I'll draw it, and take a picture and post on flickr.

HTH

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

In news Oren spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:24:08 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:

In
,
gcotterl spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

"... 5/8" thick rubber"? Not in my location...

I've cut 1/4" plywood with mine, rubber should shear easily

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:25*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 13:20:13 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

wrote:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds like the cattle mats us
farmers use in animal stalls. *I've cut the stall mats with a saber
saw. *Takes a long time, but it works. *It should be easier to cut a
12" time than a 4x8 foot sheet that weights several hundred pounds.
These cattle mats are also about 5/8" thick. *Probably the same stuff.
Just curious why you want that on the floor? *Is it black like the cow
mats?

The tiles are 18" square.

http://envirotile.ca/images/room2.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now I see what you're describing. I'll give it a try and post my
results.

The tiles are 18" square.

http://envirotile.ca/images/room2.jpg

The tiles are not made from recycled steel-belted tires.

What are "HF blades"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2011 9:51 PM, gcotterl wrote:
On May 20, 6:25 pm, wrote:
On 5/20/2011 6:52 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Innews spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:24:08 -0500, "ChairMan"nospam@nospam wrote:

In
,
spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

"... 5/8" thick rubber"? Not in my location...

I've cut 1/4" plywood with mine, rubber should shear easily

Wood cuts easier than rubber. The bend-to-cut idea will work- I have
used similar cutting techniques before- but it will be slow. I'd set up
a jig with some 2x and plywood and use a saw. Projects like this are
what HF blades are for.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

The tiles are not made from recycled steel-belted tires.

What are "HF blades"?

Harbor Freight- purveyors of disposable tools and cheap supplies.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 May 2011 18:51:36 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

On May 20, 6:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

High-Fallutin'

or History Foremost

or Harbor Freight.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:04:21 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Make a little jig. What you want to do is bend the tile slightly. Put the
tile in the jig and tighten the clamps to bend it slightly. Score with a
SHARP utility knife

It's amazing how much sharper a sharp blad is than a used blade.

BTW, I understand cutting paper with scissors will dull them because
something in paper is abrasive. That you can ruin sewing scissors and
hair scissors by cutting paper with them.

Are there any other materials which dull blades faster than average,
faster than they seem like they would, judging from hardness or my
ability to tear them apart, for example?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

http://envirotile.ca/envirotile.html suggests the use of either a break-tip
knife or a sabre saw. A good[*] sabre saw would be my choice for 60 tiles. A
circular saw with a fence might work well, too.
[*] crappy ones can't cut straight even if you wanted a wavy edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a carpet knife like this:

http://www.carpettool.net/carpet_knives.asp

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"gcotterl" wrote in message
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take
forever).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 20, 3:20*pm, gcotterl wrote:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made from
recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

Did something similar to 1/2" thick conveyor belting (with laminated
cords). Used an angle grinder with an abrasive blade (on edge,
naturally). Somewhat slow, but easy and rather smelly. IIRC, 75 lineal
feet or so took two of us less than half an hour.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote

Now I see what you're describing. I'll give it a try and post my
results.

Thanks.

All you want to do is have the cut open up so you can make successive cuts
without having the cut edges put drag on the blade. This jig works to get
you nice straight repetitive cuts. When cutting conveyor belt, you can do
it by just bending it over a bench edge and using a piece of flat bar or
angle clamped to the work bench, and an assistant bending the cutoff side.
Just enough to open the cut. Don't try to cut through all in one slice,
take your time and don't cut any major arteries, and use a sharp new blade.

Good luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Make a little jig. What you want to do is bend the tile slightly. Put
the
tile in the jig and tighten the clamps to bend it slightly. Score with a
SHARP utility knife

It's amazing how much sharper a sharp blad is than a used blade.

BTW, I understand cutting paper with scissors will dull them because
something in paper is abrasive. That you can ruin sewing scissors and
hair scissors by cutting paper with them.

Are there any other materials which dull blades faster than average,
faster than they seem like they would, judging from hardness or my
ability to tear them apart, for example?

I bought two of those 100 blade dispensers, plus one dispenser of blades
with a hook on them for $1 each at a yard sale. Stanley they were. I still
haven't used them all.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:52:47 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:

In news Oren spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:24:08 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam
wrote:

In
,
gcotterl spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

"... 5/8" thick rubber"? Not in my location...

I've cut 1/4" plywood with mine, rubber should shear easily

Some how I think the OP's " recycled car tires " may have some steel
wire or such in them. Maybe not.

I would also vote using a "decoupeerzaag".

"Jr., hand me the decoupeerzaag".

a hot knife would work

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:36*am, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:
,
Oren spewed forth:

On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:52:47 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:

Innews Oren spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:24:08 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam
wrote:

In
,
gcotterl spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

"... 5/8" thick rubber"? *Not in my location...

I've cut 1/4" plywood with mine, rubber should shear easily

Some how I think the OP's " recycled car tires " may have some steel
wire or such in them. *Maybe not.

I would also vote using a "decoupeerzaag".

"Jr., hand me the decoupeerzaag".

a hot knife would work- Hide quoted text -

I used a Skilsaw jigsaw and it cut the tiles just fine.

The tiles were a terra-cotta color so I started using a yellow wax
pencil but the lines quickly became so wide that I couldn't tell
exactly where to cut. I then switched to a black felt-tip Sharpie
marker that applied a thin line that was fairly easy to see against
the reddish tile.

70% of the tiles did not need to be cut.

15% of the tiles (around the perimeter of my patio) had to have about
6 inches cut off one side.

10% of the tiles were cut to a couple of inches wide.

5% of the tiles had to cut to fit around posts, pipes and other
obstructions so these took the most time to measure and cut.

I did use a utility knfe to shave off excess tile material when my
cuts were a little off or to make minor adjustments for uneven stucco
or when the concrete slab had bumps or other protuberances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:23*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 22:27:33 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

wrote:

I used a Skilsaw jigsaw and it cut the tiles just fine.

Glad it worked for you. *Do you call the blade type, i.e., wood /
metal / fine / course tooth?

The Skil jigsaw belongs to my brother. I assume the blade originally
came with the saw. The teeth looked fairly coarse but they made very
clean cuts (they didn't chew up the rubber).