Posted to alt.home.repair
gcotterl gcotterl is offline

Default Cutting rubber tiles

On May 21, 10:36*am, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:
,
Oren spewed forth:

On Fri, 20 May 2011 17:52:47 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam wrote:

Innews Oren spewed forth:
On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:24:08 -0500, "ChairMan" nospam@nospam
wrote:

In
,
gcotterl spewed forth:
What is a quick and easy way to cut 5/8" thick rubber tiles made
from recycled car tires?

(I have about 60 tiles to cut. A utility knife will take forever).

why not a Guillotine Paper Cutter

"... 5/8" thick rubber"? *Not in my location...

I've cut 1/4" plywood with mine, rubber should shear easily

Some how I think the OP's " recycled car tires " may have some steel
wire or such in them. *Maybe not.

I would also vote using a "decoupeerzaag".

"Jr., hand me the decoupeerzaag".

a hot knife would work- Hide quoted text -

I used a Skilsaw jigsaw and it cut the tiles just fine.

The tiles were a terra-cotta color so I started using a yellow wax
pencil but the lines quickly became so wide that I couldn't tell
exactly where to cut. I then switched to a black felt-tip Sharpie
marker that applied a thin line that was fairly easy to see against
the reddish tile.

70% of the tiles did not need to be cut.

15% of the tiles (around the perimeter of my patio) had to have about
6 inches cut off one side.

10% of the tiles were cut to a couple of inches wide.

5% of the tiles had to cut to fit around posts, pipes and other
obstructions so these took the most time to measure and cut.

I did use a utility knfe to shave off excess tile material when my
cuts were a little off or to make minor adjustments for uneven stucco
or when the concrete slab had bumps or other protuberances.