Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Cutting rubber floor mats

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:16:56 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

How thick is the rubber?

Got a carpet knife, those blades are much sharper?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps
on the surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as
possible.
I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The
utility knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make
a clean accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

How thick are they? How many do you have to do?

Best would be a bandsaw with a knife edge blade, but you need the saw and
have to buy a blade. I'd consider scoring (on the smooth back) with the
utility knife and following up with an electric kitchen knife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Bob wrote:
I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps
on the surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as
possible.
I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The
utility knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make
a clean accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

How thick are they? How many do you have to do?

Best would be a bandsaw with a knife edge blade, but you need the saw
and have to buy a blade. I'd consider scoring (on the smooth back)
with the utility knife and following up with an electric kitchen
knife.

I've seen jig saw blades with a knife edge. Even the right saw blade is
worth a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The
utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

How thick is the rubber?

Got a carpet knife, those blades are much sharper?- Hide quoted text -

Did you try a brand-new utility knife blade?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The best way to cut thick rubber is to double it. When you cut, the kerf
opens up instead of closing in on the blade. Mark the rubber with a good
visible line on both sides. Use a utility knife with a straight edge clamped
in place. Cut half way thru, reverse and then cut from the other side.
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The
utility knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a
clean accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brand new blade is good. They go dull rapidly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) "
wrote in message

Did you try a brand-new utility knife blade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Lubricate the blade with soapy water-

I'm with Ed on the bandsaw- if you've got one it would be worth buying
the blade. You'll find other uses for it once you have it--- tires
make great sandals.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 9:11*pm, Red Green wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote om:

Bob wrote:
I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps
on the surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as
possible.
I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The
utility knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make
a clean accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

How thick are they? *How many do you have to do?

Best would be a bandsaw with a knife edge blade, but you need the saw
and have to buy a blade. *I'd consider scoring (on the smooth back)
with the utility knife and following up with an electric kitchen
knife.

I've seen jig saw blades with a knife edge. Even the right saw blade is
worth a shot.

I'll second that, I used one to cut up old tires, tried everything
else, and the blades with teeth just got hot. I made nice tree rings
out of sidewalls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 5:16*pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

Reciprocating saw with general purpose blade. Cuts thru 4'x6'x 3/4"
stall mats like butter, so you shouldn't have any trouble cutting
through your material. Just make sure you have a good line to follow
and a good steady hand.

hth...
Linda H.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have several 24" square black rubber floor mats with raised bumps on the
surface.

I need to cut some of them to size as accurately and cleanly as possible.

I was advised to use a metal straight edge and a utility knife. The utility
knife does not seem to cut sharply and deeply enough to make a clean
accurate cut.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

If you live in a cold climate leave them outside and try cutting
them when they're cold.