William Wixon

Default heated floor mats

i was hoping i could find some sort of less expensive alternative to a "seed
warming mat"

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...&iSubSubCat=11

searching the internet for some sort of cheaper alternative i came across
these...

http://cozywinters.com/cozy/
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3443&R=4344 3

i never knew such things existed. i thought of you guys. there had been
discussions here about "shop heating" and i thought if there were any guys
who had to stand in one spot for an extended period of time on a unheated
concrete floor i'd imagine these things would be almost better than sex.
i'd like to get one of these things myself even if only to keep my tootsies
warm while watching tv. i was amazed at how little electricity they use.

Steve Peterson

"William Wixon" wrote in message
i was hoping i could find some sort of less expensive alternative to a
"seed warming mat"

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...&iSubSubCat=11

searching the internet for some sort of cheaper alternative i came across
these...

http://cozywinters.com/cozy/
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3443&R=4344 3

i never knew such things existed. i thought of you guys. there had been
discussions here about "shop heating" and i thought if there were any guys
who had to stand in one spot for an extended period of time on a unheated
concrete floor i'd imagine these things would be almost better than sex.
i'd like to get one of these things myself even if only to keep my
tootsies warm while watching tv. i was amazed at how little electricity
they use.

That is something I didn't know existed. I have a hot water heated slab in
the new addition to my shop but the old part where I do about half my work
doesn't have floor heat and this looks like the cat's meow. Thanks for
posting the link.
Steve Peterson
kettleriverironworks.com

Grant Erwin

William Wixon wrote:

i was hoping i could find some sort of less expensive alternative to a "seed
warming mat"

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...&iSubSubCat=11

searching the internet for some sort of cheaper alternative i came across
these...

http://cozywinters.com/cozy/
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3443&R=4344 3

i never knew such things existed. i thought of you guys. there had been
discussions here about "shop heating" and i thought if there were any guys
who had to stand in one spot for an extended period of time on a unheated
concrete floor i'd imagine these things would be almost better than sex.
i'd like to get one of these things myself even if only to keep my tootsies
warm while watching tv. i was amazed at how little electricity they use.

The motorcycle guys have threads on the Web about making your own electric
vests .. no big deal, just sew some skinny wire into the fabric, run some
current. For a seed warming mat it should be a piece of cake because the
connections don't need to be very robust. - GWE

I use an old waterbed heater burried in about 100 lbs of sand to
distribute the heat

When I had snakes I would cast waterbed heaters in plaster or cement
for basking stones.
I had BIG snakes

Dave

I've been meaning to look at the heat wire that is used to keep
plumbing from freezing. I think any hardware store would have it.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:53:55 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

It does, however, need to be very waterproof.

The OP could always try an old heating pad in a plastic bag.

--RC (who lives where seed warming is the least of his problems.)

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
William Wixon

thanks. i ended up shopping around and found a adequately sized and
favorably priced heat pad. i called the manufacturer/importer and asked a
series of questions (how hot are the three settings and how long it is ok to
leave it on) and then asked if they thought it would be ok to use as a seed
warming mat and i was astonished they said yes. (i assumed they would be
afraid to expose themselves to a potential law suit if i burned my house
down using their pad in a non-usual way.) (my intent is to leave it on
almost/probably continuously for like a month or two.) (the heat pad is a
dual "dry/moist heat" pad and is designed to be used in close proximity to
moisture.)

(but to remain on metalworking topic, i posted the link for machinists with
cold feet.)

b.w.

It does, however, need to be very waterproof.

The OP could always try an old heating pad in a plastic bag.

--RC (who lives where seed warming is the least of his problems.)

Grady

No connection, but I am familiar with this product.
http://www.warmtiles.com/ . Works extremely well, designed to go under
ceramic tile flooring, guess you could use it elsewhere and it is UL
approved.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I use an old waterbed heater burried in about 100 lbs of sand to
distribute the heat

When I had snakes I would cast waterbed heaters in plaster or cement
for basking stones.
I had BIG snakes

Vaughn

"William Wixon" wrote in message
thanks. i ended up shopping around and found a adequately sized and favorably
priced heat pad.

A waterbed heater would also be a possibility.

Vaughn ( Yes, I still sleep on one)