Con Boylan

Default Heated Towel Rails

Hi all

I have just been looking at range of heated Towel Rails available. I want a
chrome finish or maybe a stainless steel one to add to my central heating
setup.

There is a great variation in price for the chrome rails. I was quoted
£430.00 from a local bathroom shop, where the assistant told me that the
chrome tends to chip off the cheaper models; hence the steep price.
Has anybody got any experience of this ?
I have read some old postings where people have had chipping problems with
ScrewFix towel rails.

Does anybody have any comments (good or bad) to make on the TLC stainless
steel heated towel rail ?

Any other supplier suggestions welcome.

Thanks for any info.

Con.

Tim Hardisty

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:22:52 +0100, "Con Boylan"
wrote:

I have just been looking at range of heated Towel Rails available. I want a
chrome finish....

...the assistant told me that the
chrome tends to chip off the cheaper models;
Has anybody got any experience of this ?

We bought an expensice Myson towel rail (£350 IIRC, on account from
plumbcenter). The chrome flaked off the foot of this within a month.
It was replaced without quibble and has been fine since.

In other words, expensive does not always mean 100% fault free!

With hindsight, we needn't have bothered with such an expensive one
(we liked it's looks) as it spends its life covered in towels....funny
that ;-)

Tim Hardisty.
Remove HAT before replying
ben

Con Boylan wrote:

I have read some old postings where people have had chipping problems with
ScrewFix towel rails.

Fitted a £100 Screwfix chrome towel rail about three weeks ago. No
problems so far.

I think it's made by `Altria', if that helps.

Ben.

Suz

We bought an expensice Myson towel rail (£350 IIRC, on account from
plumbcenter). The chrome flaked off the foot of this within a month.
It was replaced without quibble and has been fine since.

In other words, expensive does not always mean 100% fault free!

With hindsight, we needn't have bothered with such an expensive one
(we liked it's looks) as it spends its life covered in towels....funny
that ;-)

What a good point! Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.
Suzanne

Abdullah Eyles

wrote:

We bought an expensice Myson towel rail (£350 IIRC, on account from

Ouch!

With hindsight, we needn't have bothered with such an expensive one
(we liked it's looks) as it spends its life covered in towels....funny
that ;-)

I made mine myself from Heat-fusion welded PVC (HDPE?) pipes, works a
treat and cost at most $30-40 (sorry, no pound sign on my keyboard!).

Hope to put the details on a web page ASAP but laziness intervened!

(maybe mine wouldn't pass whatever regulation covers such things in
the UK, but here there aren't such strict regulations - OK I know
regulations are to protect people but they can be too restrictive...)

Could one be made from press-fit pipes?

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Tim Hardisty wrote:
We bought an expensice Myson towel rail (£350 IIRC, on account from
plumbcenter).

I think that's a cheap Myson towel rail. The one we're looking at is
over £1200.

--
Mike Barnes
The Natural Philosopher

Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Tim Hardisty wrote:

We bought an expensice Myson towel rail (£350 IIRC, on account from
plumbcenter).

I think that's a cheap Myson towel rail. The one we're looking at is
over £1200.

I'd ay that's the right thing to do. Look at it. JUST look at it.

R W

Con Boylan wrote:
Hi all

I have just been looking at range of heated Towel Rails available. I
want a chrome finish or maybe a stainless steel one to add to my
central heating setup.

There is a great variation in price for the chrome rails. I was quoted
£430.00 from a local bathroom shop, where the assistant told me that
the chrome tends to chip off the cheaper models; hence the steep
price.

The chrome has rusted and flaked off our bathroom accessories
(toothbrush holder, wall shelves, toilet roll holder etc) in under 2
years. So it can happen....

If I still had the receipt I would go back and argue they are not fit
for purpose. You would expect products made for a damp environment like
a bathroom not to rust in under 2 years....