TC

Default Screwfix towel radiators: absolute crap.

Folks,

I've just received my 3rd towel radiator (cat #16899) from Screwfix.

The first one had rusty marks in the chrome on the top just where the
plug screws in, so that had to go back.

A replacement duly arrived which looked fine. I installrd that, and
connected up the water. That was when I discovered it leaked at the
joint between one of the horizontal bars and the left-hand upright.

So I complained about that one too. A repacement has just arrived and
now I'm sending that one back as well. It's obviously been out and
rejected before being sent on to me. There are scratches all over it
and some of the chrome's chipped. It's been installed once before as
you can see marks left by rust-stained water. I just can't believe
they've sent me a second-hand (and probably defective) radiator. It
reminds me of Dixons.

This time I'm getting one somwhere else. I'm impressed with Screwfix's
efficiency but I think that some of their stuff is of very dubious
quality. This radiator isn't the first duffer I've had from them.

Has anyone else found the same with this towel-rail is it just me?

TC
JimM

Not used the Screwfix towel rail but if it's any help I can recommend the
ones made by Jeeves. You can pick them up at Homebase but I got mine from
TLC (the electrical wholesalers)

HTH

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"TC" wrote in message
[...]

Jonathan Webb

OK TC.
I am (was)on the verge of ordering the white version.
Worried now...
Spose there must be a reason why proper (branded) ones have a
'1' in front of the price, but I can't run to that. Do I gamble or go
for a rad with a towel rail over?

Re other crap from SF.
Their "heavy duty" pipe bender started flattening the pipe before
I'd finished the plumbing in the bathroom. I'm about to do the CH
for the whole house - what now.

Jono

chris French

In message
ilgate.org, Jonathan
Webb writes
I am (was)on the verge of ordering the white version.
Worried now...
Spose there must be a reason why proper (branded) ones have a
'1' in front of the price, but I can't run to that. Do I gamble or go
for a rad with a towel rail over?

I got a 'ladder; style one from B&Q a few years ago - I think they are
made by 'Hydroline' it was a reasonable price and has been fine.

Re other crap from SF.
Their "heavy duty" pipe bender started flattening the pipe before
I'd finished the plumbing in the bathroom. I'm about to do the CH
for the whole house - what now.

Use plastic, such as Hep2O ?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Jonathan Webb

I'm about to do the CH for the whole house - what now.

Use plastic, such as Hep2O ?

I've already bought the copper tube...
Wanted to use copper where it shows, with neat bends. Mebbe use plasket
under the floor. Still not sold on it though.

BTW, plumber who came to quote for CH sys looked at some John Guest
pushfit
fittings (Screwfix) I had used & said disparagingly "where d'you get
those?". Any real downers on them, or was he just being snobby for
Hepworths?
Jono

Andy Hall

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:26:48 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Webb"
wrote:

I'm about to do the CH for the whole house - what now.

Use plastic, such as Hep2O ?

I've already bought the copper tube...
Wanted to use copper where it shows, with neat bends. Mebbe use plasket
under the floor. Still not sold on it though.

BTW, plumber who came to quote for CH sys looked at some John Guest
pushfit
fittings (Screwfix) I had used & said disparagingly "where d'you get
those?". Any real downers on them, or was he just being snobby for
Hepworths?
Jono

I've used plastic for certain heating applications. Personally I
prefer JG Speedfit to Hepworth fittings for two reasons.

a) There is an optional insert with O-ring. This aligns the pipe
properly and provides a second seal.

b) There is a twist lock mechanism.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Jonathan Webb

"I'm about to do the CH
for the whole house - what now.

Go and buy a Rothenburger one from the plumber's merchant.....

Ouch and double ouch?

Jono

IMM

"Jonathan Webb" wrote in message
news:fe3957d8698e274a273ba3277a300bae.126278@mygat e.mailgate.org...

I'm about to do the CH for the whole house - what now.

Use plastic, such as Hep2O ?

I've already bought the copper tube...
Wanted to use copper where it shows, with neat bends. Mebbe use plasket
under the floor. Still not sold on it though.

BTW, plumber who came to quote for CH sys looked at some John Guest
pushfit
fittings (Screwfix) I had used & said disparagingly "where d'you get
those?". Any real downers on them, or was he just being snobby for
Hepworths?
Jono

Marley Equator is the best plastic effort. It has a stainless steel insert
for the pipe and the fittings have a metal rinmg aporound them. This
prevents the pipe and fitting ovaling when hot.

better still use copper piper (v cheap)and pushfit brass fittings, if you
want to go the pushfit route.

---

IMM

"Jonathan Webb" wrote in message
news:ccd9c2427eebe7c736d05bc24840dcac.126278@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"I'm about to do the CH
for the whole house - what now.

Go and buy a Rothenburger one from the plumber's merchant.....

Ouch and double ouch?

Jono

Drayton do a good bender.

---

John Stumbles

wrote:

BTW, plumber who came to quote for CH sys looked at some John Guest
pushfit
fittings (Screwfix) I had used & said disparagingly "where d'you get
those?". Any real downers on them, or was he just being snobby for
Hepworths?
Jono

I've used plastic for certain heating applications. Personally I
prefer JG Speedfit to Hepworth fittings for two reasons.

a) There is an optional insert with O-ring. This aligns the pipe
properly and provides a second seal.

b) There is a twist lock mechanism.

c)* you can get them apart again (without laboriously prizing off the grab
ring, as you have to do with the Hep fittings)

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

* oh, 3 reasons.
You never expect the Spanish Inquisistion ;-)

Lee Blaver

Andy Hall wrote:

Re other crap from SF.
Their "heavy duty" pipe bender started flattening the pipe before
I'd finished the plumbing in the bathroom. I'm about to do the CH
for the whole house - what now.

Go and buy a Rothenburger one from the plumber's merchant.....

Jono

.andy

Yep, second that, haven't had any problems with my Rothenburger pipe
bender. They are not really any more costly than the crap ones, well not
much anyway :-)

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:48:19 +0100, Lee Blaver
wrote:

Yep, second that, haven't had any problems with my Rothenburger pipe
bender. They are not really any more costly than the crap ones, well not
much anyway :-)

I'm going to show my ignorance a bit here, so please bear with me.....

A short time ago on this forum someone said they'd got a pipe bender
from ebay for around 20 quid and they were happy with it. Now I'm used
to seeing pipe benders in the sheds for about 45 quid, so I thought
I'd hop over to ebay.

Sure enough there are pipe benders available for 15mm/22mm for around
20 quid. Haven't bought one yet but it's on the to-do list.

Am I looking at something which I'd be better off avoiding then?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Jonathan@Home

A short time ago on this forum someone said they'd got a pipe bender
from ebay for around 20 quid and they were happy with it. Now I'm used
to seeing pipe benders in the sheds for about 45 quid, so I thought
I'd hop over to ebay.

That was me, I've not done a lot with it but it worked very well when I did
use it, and after all if you arn't happy you can relist it on e-bay. When I
bought mine I had to wait as there were lots of them appearing but going for
nearly the market price when postage was added. I just waited and got
bidding in a aution whith little interest and got it for for just over £20.

Just to show people who don't use e-bay what can happen, I bought a flute
for my son for £124, next one sold for £180, exactly the same flute from the
same seller, saw a brand new Bosch Cordless jiigsaw go for £52, with only 2
bidders. One before that went for £98 and the one after went for £76. The
secret is to know what the item you buying costs in the shops or on the web.
I never bit until the last 30 seconds and my wife and I have bought Colaport
figurines, toys for the kids, bit for my PC, books for mother in law, dress
making tools and power tools, very nice Bosch Cordeless Hammer drill, brand
new £20 less than the shops.

Cheers
Jonathan

Witchy

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:43:27 +0100, "Jonathan@Home"
wrote:

[...]

That's going to be 3 very disappointed buyers then My own
experience with the Bosch cordless jigsaw made me give it to me Dad
and go buy the very nice corded PST850E from the local shed 'cos it
was end of range and therefore £29.95 instead of the usual price.

The batteries in those things are NiCds instead of NiMHs, so they last
for 5 minutes - last time I used one was cutting a hole in a door that
was approx 3'x1' and it only got half of it done.....the battery also
heats up in use and when its hot you can't recharge it until its
cooled down.......v.annoying. Spare batteries (if you can find 'em)
cost as much as the jigsaw!

Hate to think how long their cordless circular saw lasts....

witchy/binarydinosaurs
Tony Hogarty

Jonathan@Home wrote:

books for mother in law

Sounds like a fair swop, I wnder what I'll get for my mother in law?
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(take out garbage to reply)

Andrew McKay

wrote:

That was me, I've not done a lot with it but it worked very well when I did
use it, and after all if you arn't happy you can relist it on e-bay. When I
bought mine I had to wait as there were lots of them appearing but going for
nearly the market price when postage was added. I just waited and got
bidding in a aution whith little interest and got it for for just over £20.

Thanks for that! I think I will invest in one shortly.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Andy Evans

Jonathan,

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Jonathan Webb wrote:

OK TC.
I am (was)on the verge of ordering the white version.
Worried now...
Spose there must be a reason why proper (branded) ones have a
'1' in front of the price, but I can't run to that. Do I gamble or go
for a rad with a towel rail over?

I've fitted several and they have all been fine, both white and chrome.

I've fitted the curved chrome one - no problems.

Andy.

snip

Mathew J. Newton

"Andy Evans" wrote in message ...
Jonathan,

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Jonathan Webb wrote:

OK TC.
I am (was)on the verge of ordering the white version.
Worried now...
Spose there must be a reason why proper (branded) ones have a
'1' in front of the price, but I can't run to that. Do I gamble or go
for a rad with a towel rail over?

I've fitted several and they have all been fine, both white and chrome.

I've fitted the curved chrome one - no problems.

Andy.

snip

Me too. I know this doesn't help the OP but I think it's probably
worth speaking up in case for future potential buyers.

Mat