Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower buying time

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Giganews wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not
sure if it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman
after 4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

Hi,
JD with Kawasaki engine is good one. I still have it and after 14 years
it still works like new. Only thing I did was replace spark plug once,
oil change couple times, and sharpen the blades when needed.

Honda mower is pretty good as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-12, Giganews wrote:

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

They should. The price tag is a little over $400 for cheapest model. OTOH, Consumer
Reports rated Honda ahead of all others by a wide margin. Some other
brands, like Husqvarna and Toro, are using Honda motors. They ain't
cheap, either.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-12, Giganews wrote:

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

They should. The price tag is a little over $400 for cheapest model.
OTOH, Consumer
Reports rated Honda ahead of all others by a wide margin. Some other
brands, like Husqvarna and Toro, are using Honda motors. They ain't
cheap, either.

nb

Seems like there are two major categories. The $150 to $200 and the $400 to
$600. If I go the cheap route, I'm sure it will be junk in three to four
years. The others I have some hope for longer life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote
JD with Kawasaki engine is good one. I still have it and after 14 years it
still works like new. Only thing I did was replace spark plug once, oil
change couple times, and sharpen the blades when needed.

Honda mower is pretty good as well.

If they still made them with the Kawasaki, I'd buy another. They show B&S
on them now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 9:06*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote

JD with Kawasaki engine is good one. I still have it and after 14 years it
still works like new. Only thing I did was replace spark plug once, oil
change couple times, and sharpen the blades when needed.

Honda mower is pretty good as well.

If they still made them with the Kawasaki, I'd buy another. *They show B&S
on them now.

My across-the-street neighbor had a John Deere last year, it was a
piece of junk and she returned it after having a lot of things go
wrong right at the beginning so the store took it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 21:27:46 -0400, "Giganews" wrote:

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

I've had two JD rear drive rear baggers. I'm not sure what engine.
One I bought around late 90's and the other about 3 years later
because I'm stupid and didn't learn from the first one. One of them
was model JX75 or something similar.

I bent the crank severely on the first one when I hit a small stump
hidden in grass. Quotes to rebuild or replace the engine were about
the same....75% of cost of whole new mower. The crank was bent and
bottom bearings were toast. One shop said they might be able to
straighten the crank, but couldn't be sure it would work and wanted
50% of cost of whole new mower to try. Since it was busy season in the
shop, any repair was going to take 3-4 weeks during which times I'd
have to borrow or rent another mower...so I just bought another one.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. The self propelled transmission crapped out
about 1 month out of warranty. I bent the crank on this one too, when
it barely scalped a high root. This time it was bent just a little
and I've just lived with the vibration since I only use it for
trimming as I now have a tractor. I've had much cheaper mowers that
would not have even slowed down when hitting that root, let alone
bending the crank.

I suspect the issue is the style of blade clutch JD uses. It moves
the blade several inches farther away from the engine bearing than it
would be without the clutch, and this gives a lot more leverage when
the blade tip hits something.

I've concluded the JD's are overpriced , unreliable, and expensive to
fix.

I'd try the Honda if I were you. Or go the cheapie route and figure on
replacing it every 4 years or so.

Frankly, the cheapies are often a lot lighter and easier to
maneuver.....

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 21:27:46 -0400, "Giganews" wrote:

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

My Honda is only beginning its fourth season but it starts first time every
time with just a gentle pull of the cord. The only thing I've had to do to it
was blow out the air filter and change the oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2011 23:31:49 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

[...]

I used to go the cheapie route. They were always a pain in the neck and got
worse from there. I bought the Honda when we moved here; what a difference!

Frankly, the cheapies are often a lot lighter and easier to
maneuver.....

I haven't found that to be the case. The Honda is really easy to maneuver
around. I always hated mowing the lawn with my last Crapsman. This thing
makes mowing a much thicker (Zoyzia vs. Creeping Red Fescue) lawn a piece of
cake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Giganews" wrote:
-snip-
I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

My neighbor [who works on lawnmowers and small engines] sold me a used
Honda for $150 7 years ago. It was probably a few years old when I
got it. Someone traded it in- he tuned it up.

I change the plug & oil every year and clean the air filter. It
doesn't know what the inside of a garage looks like. I throw a piece
of tin over it for the winter. It takes 2 pulls to start in the
spring. After that- 1 will do it. It has a completely different
sound than any other mower I've walked behind. More like a sewing
machine than a mower.

Don't know if they're built like this still-- But I'd give $150 for a
10yr old one if I needed a mower.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

The other day I started my 1985 lawnboy again, It been maintenance
free but I dont think they make the 2 strokes anymore. HD has Honda,
one for 350 non power drive I think, one for 389 online, I think thats
the best buy you can get, for another location I bought a Toro a few
years ago, its been fine except it clogs way to easy on damp grass and
I think ive always heard a bearing knock when I dont use 30w, it says
I can use multi grade but I should not hear bad bearings on a new
machine, if that is what I am hearing, im not sure. Honda at CR
magazine is top rated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 8:18*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

magazine is top rated.- Hide quoted text -

I agree about the lawnboy 2 strokes. My old one, 19 years, is still
out at our lake house. I had to fix the self propel transmission, no
parts needed, I just flipped over a bit that was broken on one side.
And replace the muffler. It's that version where the muffler/
expansion chamber is under the deck. They just eventually rust out.
I think I might have put a carb kit in it once. It still starts right
up. The deck is starting to be pretty shabby but hasn't fallen apart
yet.

My newer one at our main house is 8 years old now. I have not done
anything to it but it is and always has been finicky about starting.
Usually takes 4 or 5 pulls. They moved the muffler above the deck.

Long ago I had one of their really old ones. Back when they made them
with cast aluminum decks. That one was perfect. Indistructable deck
and maintenance free 2 stroke.

I'll miss the two stroke mowers. I mix one 2 1/2 gallon can of oil
and gas and use it in everything, mower, trimmer, edger, chainsaw, and
blower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-12, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

spring. After that- 1 will do it. It has a completely different
sound than any other mower I've walked behind. More like a sewing
machine than a mower.

A lot of ppl still haven't experienced a Honda. Actually, an amazing
company. I've been involved with them since my high school days, when
they were flooding our country (US) with cheaply priced motorcycles.
I've owned a couple of their motorcycles and one car. I was also a
motorcycle mechanic at one time and have worked on a lot of brands,
including Honda.

The car completely turned me around. Till then, I was a died in the
wool Mopar man and totally disgusted with the Japanese quality myth.
By that time, I'd already amassed a garage full of dead Japanese
stereo and photo equipment that had barely made it to the end of
warranty before expiring. My '87 Honda Civic Hatchback was different.
Best car I ever owned.

I bought it with 120K on the odometer and proceded to commute 70-90
miles per day for the next several yrs. It was the Sport Injected
model (Si) and a total joy to drive. Got 36 mpg, would smoked any of
the old Brit roadsters I'd once owned on a road coarse, and reliable
as a brick. I finally sold it with 255K on an engine that still
purred and got 34 mpg. I replaced one starter, one muffler, one set
alt brushes, 2 velo joints and one tranny ($160!). It was 19 yrs old.

I've since had a lot of experience with Hondas. A very close friend
lived off one of their self starting generators for 6 yrs. It
provided all power and ran flawlesly the entire time. In CA, Hondas
are worth their weight in gold. Last longer than Mercedes and
Beemers, and are worth more at resale.

There are very few things in this world I will trust, hands down,
sight unseen. A Honda is one. Buy one and see why.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 7:32*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

I found a guy that had a bunch of them as he repaired them and got a
new deck about 10 years ago, mine is push so I have little to break.
Its a great little motor, it is a commercial grade boat motor. Second
pull and it going on maybe 26 years. on 4 strokes i get about 10-12
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2011 9:27 PM, Giganews wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not
sure if it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman
after 4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

My self propelled Honda is going into it's third season.

Easy to start but needs a couple of pulls.

Mulching cut is perfect and mower does not clog even when grass is wet.

I'm not real crazy about variable drive and having to use thumbs but I'm
more used to it after these few seasons but my right thumb is still
recovering from a winter sprain caused by a fall on ice.

Oil is easy to change and air filter is easy to clean. There is a fuel
shut off valve so you can over winter with gas in the tank but run the
carburetor dry. This is Japanese quality where they continue to make
things better instead of cheaper as done in the US.

Over the years, the first Japanese stuff into the US after the war was
crap but continued to get better and now are the highest quality. I
switched to their cars in the late 80's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:07*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Giganews" wrote:

-snip-

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

My neighbor [who works on lawnmowers and small engines] sold me a used
Honda for $150 7 years ago. * *It was probably a few years old when I
got it. * Someone traded it in- he tuned it up.

I change the plug & oil every year and clean the air filter. * It
doesn't know what the inside of a garage looks like. I throw a piece
of tin over it for the winter. * * It takes 2 pulls to start in the
spring. *After that- 1 will do it. * * * It has a completely different
sound than any other mower I've walked behind. *More like a sewing
machine than a mower.

Don't know if they're built like this still-- But I'd give $150 for a
10yr old one if I needed a mower.

Jim

Add another vote for Honda. I bought one way back around 1980. I
have worn the rubber off the drive wheels twice (and it is getting
ready for the third set), replaced a clutch cable once, one new plug
and fuel filter. Change oil 1x year. I used it for mowing a very
large place, 2 acres some years.

Starting? Same here, 1 pull every time still except for the first
start in the spring.

I bought a new Honda about 15 years ago figuring the old one was about
worn out. It still sets in the the shed only having been used a few
times for trial.

One complaint I have is the gearing on the mechanical gear boxes. 1st
is too slow, high is a bit fast. The one in the shed is 3 speed. I
don't know what high gear would be used for, I can barely keep up with
it walking fast.

I also have the Honda rototiller.

They are 'spendy' but worth it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

I have a 15 year old self-propelled, walk behind Snapper in the shed
that still starts on the first or second pull. I don't remember the
last time it was tuned up. I hit a stump with it during about year 5
or 6 and had to have the crank straightened and new seals installed.
I figured it was a short-timer then, but it keeps running just fine;
and still looks pretty good. We sold my in-law's Snapper rider in the
estate sale about five years ago, and that machine was our inspiration
to buy the walk behind. My wife and I have been married for 44 years
and it seems like it was was used by them or by the family during much
of that time.

Obviously, I don't have much of a problem with Briggs. We owned Toro
riders and push machines before the Snapper. Pretty good machines
until you start replacing parts - then VERY expensive to own. A
carburetor for the Toro/Honda costs about 2-3 times a Briggs unit.
Ditto other parts.

Like others have mentioned earlier about other upper-end brands -
Snapper isn't cheap. That is, unless it outlasts 2-3 of the Sears,
Murray or other lower-end machines.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 9:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

Gee for 105 bucks I picked up a weedeater mower at K mart, a push type
used once, the buyer returned it having decided they needed self
propelled which i dont like.

for 105 bucks its cheaper to buy one that way, normally about 150
bucks.

i dont understand why people spwend a grand on a mower its just grass
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 10:29*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

i dont understand why people spwend a grand on a mower its just grass- Hide quoted text -

I had a Honda Harmony self propelled and it lasted about 7 years.
On the plus side it's dual mulching blade and deck design gave
the lawn the nicest, smoothest cut and mulched the grass into
very small pieces that disappeared. It was quiet and always
started very easily.

The downside was that at about 7 years the transmission wore
out. It was $135 online just for the tranny. It was clear from the
failure that it was just normal wear that caused it to fail. And
to replace the tranny is a big headache, you wind up having
to remove all kinds of bushings, shims, screws, etc. I'm
good at fixing things, but after winding up with two egg cartons
worth of parts that all have to go on again just right, that
factored into my decision to replace it with a new Sears
fpor $160 that I found on Ebay.

The Sears has significantly more power than the Honda
and goes easily through heavier grass where the Honda
would bog down. Doesn't leave as nice a finish on the
lawn. But one big advantage is that the Sears has a variable
speed drive that uses just a belt and pulley system . That
gives true variable speed as opposed to the Honda that
had 3 speeds via the geared tranny. And it actually broke
too, due to the spring. Took a pair of pliers and 10 mins to
get it going again. A replacement spring is $5

So, all in all, I'm not as impressed as some of you with
Honda, especially given the large price premium. You
could buy 2 or more Sears for the price of one Honda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Honda mower is pretty good as well.

Honda engine in Toro brand mower works well here since
2008. Its front-wheel SP mechanism jams up with soil/
clippings every second year if uncleaned, but that is easy
and it works well.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Giganews" wrote in message
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not
sure if it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman
after 4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

I'm with ya on the JD. Had one years ago, was a good one, passed it down
the line, should've kept it. The next JD didn't even last a year, complete
junk for $500.

Bought a Honda, was under powered for what I cut. But, it cut really nice
with the twin blades. This was not the self propelled model, sold it after
5 years to buy a self propelled.

Thought Honda was over priced, so went with a 26" Snapper. But it was about
$1200. Turned out to be the mower from Hell. High maintenance, expensive
parts such as wheels. Within the first year, one of the drive wheels, split
rim came apart. Not covered under warranty, cost me a $100 for one
rim/tire. Next year, the other wheel, same thing.

Ok, gotta confess. Three weeks ago, bought a Honda HRX model, the one next
to the electric start model. Not cheap, $700, but it sure does handle nice,
and to see those fine clippings from the twin blades brought back some
memories. Ahhhhh...Vrooom, vroooom!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
[...]

That's the JD I had, or I think so. Had the caster wheels up front, what a
POS! Had the self propelled go out on mine also.

Having worked for directly for JD some years ago, I should've known better
than to buy their junk even with the discount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's been my experience too. Bought a SP and it was nothing but
trouble and barely worked plus it made the mower heavy. Switched to a
cheapie and it was so much lighter and maneuverable. It also lasted
me 8 years and I never changed the plug, cleaned the air filter every
couple years, and changed the oil maybe once or twice. Replaced it
with a fairly cheap Sears/Husquavana but I actually liked the really
cheap old one better - it had a bigger bag and better suction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 6:13*pm, "najea" wrote:
"Giganews" wrote in message

[...]

memories. Ahhhhh...Vrooom, vroooom!- Hide quoted text -

You have to wonder why the other manufacturer's don't do similar
twin blade and deck designs to get the fine clippings and clean
cut of Honda. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much $$
for a second blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Giganews" wrote in message
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today. Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. I'm not
sure if it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman
after 4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

Still using my 20 year old Honda self-powered walk behind. Never needed
service. After sitting in my shed for 6 winter months, it started on third
pull, thereafter it always starts on first pull.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:00*am, "
wrote:
On May 12, 6:13*pm, "najea" wrote:

"Giganews" wrote in message

[...]

for a second blade.- Hide quoted text -

I don't agree. Twin blades requires a lot more parts than bolting a
blade on the end of a crankshaft.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On May 11, 8:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:
OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

Check out this site: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/deere.html

It lists hundreds of complaints against JD for faulty equipment and
lack of service. Mostly riders but there are some walk- behind
complaints also. After reading other people's complaints I don't know
why anyone would buy a JD. They are still selling based upon name
recognition only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:25:26 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Giganews" wrote in message
[...]

I'll kick in a couple chips on Honda mower engines.
Mine is 8 years old. Starts on first or second pull after sitting all
winter, then always on the first pull.
Original plug, changed the oil once. I'll do it again this year.
I don't bother with Stabil or draining gas.
Same with the little 2 stroke Sears weedwacker of the same age, but I
have to yank that one at least 5 times after the winter.
The mower is a push Craftsman with Honda engine. Mulcher.
Always heard they were good so when I needed a mower I didn't mind
the small premium.
Thing is, my previous experience with yanking on lawn mowers to start
them is over 40 years old, so I really don't know how they stack up.
Used an electric in my last place, and a B&D rechargeable my first 6
years here.
That B&D mulcher was a good mower until the battery stopped holding a
charge. I like those. But it was a lot heavier than the gas job.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower buying time -- solution

Bought a Honda (made in USA) tonight.

They've lowered some prices and you get an extra year of warranty if you buy
before end of May.

I was going to get a push model with the optional dual blade, but the next
step up was $10 more for self propelled and it includes the dual mulching
blade that was a $40 option on the push model. It was $389.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Giganews" wrote in message

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today.

"Engine"? You want a mower with an engine?

I switched to a reel mower six years ago--it's cheap to run, needs little
maintenance, and gives me a decent bit of exercise at the same time. Quiet
too. I would need a huge lawn to think about switching back to a mower with
a motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2011 2:14 AM, DGDevin wrote:

"Giganews" wrote in message

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was
great until today.

"Engine"? You want a mower with an engine?

I switched to a reel mower six years ago--it's cheap to run, needs
little maintenance, and gives me a decent bit of exercise at the same
time. Quiet too. I would need a huge lawn to think about switching back
to a mower with a motor.

Human-power push-type reel mowers make sense ONLY if you live on a tiny
flat urban lot that never frost-heaves or gets mole-trail ridges. Any
kind of lumpy slopes, or nasty stringy weeds forget it. You also HAVE to
keep them sharp and adjusted, or they stick and jam up, like an abused
pair of scissors. I think it is wonderful that a reel mower works for
you, but for most people, they would not.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 13, 8:05 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Bought a Honda (made in USA) tonight.

They've lowered some prices and you get an extra year of warranty if you
buy
before end of May.

I was going to get a push model with the optional dual blade, but the
next
step up was $10 more for self propelled and it includes the dual mulching
blade that was a $40 option on the push model. It was $389.

A 3 yr warranty?

A 3 year extended to 4 years for my HRR. The more expensive HRX models
are 5 + 1.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/Lawnmowers/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

"Giganews" wrote in message

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? My John
Deere has given up after about 15+ years. The Kawasaki engine was great
until today.

"Engine"? You want a mower with an engine?

I switched to a reel mower six years ago--it's cheap to run, needs little
maintenance, and gives me a decent bit of exercise at the same time.
Quiet too. I would need a huge lawn to think about switching back to a
mower with a motor.

I used a reel mower for my old house. I bet you'd use a power mower here,
especially if you are 60+.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2011 11:00 AM, wrote:
On May 12, 6:13 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Manufacturers worry about adding pennies to the cost. Get the back of an
envelope and sketch out how many parts you would need to add to the
usual blade bolted onto the end of a vertical crankshaft design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote
You have to wonder why the other manufacturer's don't do similar
twin blade and deck designs to get the fine clippings and clean
cut of Honda. In the grand scheme of things, it's not much $$
for a second blade.

Manufacturers worry about adding pennies to the cost. Get the back of an
envelope and sketch out how many parts you would need to add to the usual
blade bolted onto the end of a vertical crankshaft design.

Typical retail selling price is at least 5X the actual cost of parts. On the
Honda, the twin blade on the low end models is a $40 option.

Going from memory, there is the second blade, spacer, washer. longer bolt.
Given the competitive nature of consumer goods, it would price a low end
model out of the competition. The $149 special at the discount store offers
very little aside from the low price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:26*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On May 13, 8:05 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Bought a Honda (made in USA) tonight.

They've lowered some prices and you get an extra year of warranty if you
buy
before end of May.

I was going to get a push model with the optional dual blade, but the
next
step up was $10 more for self propelled and it includes the dual mulching
blade that was a $40 option on the push model. *It was $389.

A 3 yr warranty?

A 3 year extended to 4 years for my HRR. * *The more expensive HRX models
are 5 + 1.http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/Lawnmowers/

How did you get the extra year warranty, all I can see on the 390$
unit is 3 years. I was thinking of using HD because shipping to me is
free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 May 2011 10:40:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:14:58 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"Engine"? You want a mower with an engine?

I switched to a reel mower six years ago--it's cheap to run, needs little
maintenance, and gives me a decent bit of exercise at the same time. Quiet
too. I would need a huge lawn to think about switching back to a mower with
a motor.

Classic leftist's "I'm greener than you" neener.

Reel mower? I took out all my turf, except 300 sq. ft. (for the pet).
The rebate from the water utility paid for the rock used to replace
the turf.

I still keep my small power mower for that area. A reel mower on dense
fescue would be work..

Try it on Zoyzia. My Honda even has its work cut out for it at times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You did good, Ed. Very wise choice. I expect that will work
well for many years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Bought a Honda (made in USA) tonight.

They've lowered some prices and you get an extra year of
warranty if you buy
before end of May.

I was going to get a push model with the optional dual
blade, but the next
step up was $10 more for self propelled and it includes the
dual mulching
blade that was a $40 option on the push model. It was $389.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

On May 13, 8:05 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Bought a Honda (made in USA) tonight.

They've lowered some prices and you get an extra year of warranty if
you
buy
before end of May.

I was going to get a push model with the optional dual blade, but the
next
step up was $10 more for self propelled and it includes the dual
mulching
blade that was a $40 option on the push model. It was $389.

A 3 yr warranty?

A 3 year extended to 4 years for my HRR. The more expensive HRX models
are 5 + 1.http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/Lawnmowers/

How did you get the extra year warranty, all I can see on the 390$
unit is 3 years. I was thinking of using HD because shipping to me is
free.

Just fill out the warranty

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/promotions/

Special Offers

Receive a one year extended warranty on any HRX, HRR, or HRS mower!

Mail in a Product Registration Card or register your mower online within 30
days of purchase and we'll extend your warranty for ONE ADDITIONAL YEAR.
Offer valid on all HRR, HRX, and HRS mowers purchased between March 1 and
May 31, 2011.