Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Lawnmower buying time

On May 12, 7:32*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 12, 8:18*am, ransley wrote:

On May 11, 8:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

The other day I started my 1985 lawnboy again, It been maintenance
free but I dont think they make the 2 strokes anymore. HD has Honda,
one for 350 non power drive I think, one for 389 online, I think thats
the best buy you can get, for another location I bought a Toro a few
years ago, its been fine except it clogs way to easy on damp grass and
I think ive always heard a bearing knock when I dont use 30w, it says
I can use multi grade but I should not hear bad bearings on a new
machine, if that is what I am hearing, im not sure. Honda at CR
magazine is top rated.- Hide quoted text -

I agree about the lawnboy 2 strokes. *My old one, 19 years, is still
out at our lake house. *I had to fix the self propel transmission, no
parts needed, I just flipped over a bit that was broken on one side.
And replace the muffler. *It's that version where the muffler/
expansion chamber is under the deck. *They just eventually rust out.
I think I might have put a carb kit in it once. *It still starts right
up. *The deck is starting to be pretty shabby but hasn't fallen apart
yet.

My newer one at our main house is 8 years old now. *I have not done
anything to it but it is and always has been finicky about starting.
Usually takes 4 or 5 pulls. *They moved the muffler above the deck.

Long ago I had one of their really old ones. *Back when they made them
with cast aluminum decks. *That one was perfect. *Indistructable deck
and maintenance free 2 stroke.

I'll miss the two stroke mowers. *I mix one 2 1/2 gallon can of oil
and gas and use it in everything, mower, trimmer, edger, chainsaw, and
blower.

I found a guy that had a bunch of them as he repaired them and got a
new deck about 10 years ago, mine is push so I have little to break.
Its a great little motor, it is a commercial grade boat motor. Second
pull and it going on maybe 26 years. on 4 strokes i get about 10-12
years.