Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower buying time

On May 12, 8:18*am, ransley wrote:
On May 11, 8:27*pm, "Giganews" wrote:

OK guys, what do you think the best push mower is these days? *My John Deere
has given up after about 15+ years. *The Kawasaki engine was great until
today. *Bad knock (started that last year) and it stopped. *I'm not sure if
it is worth rebuilding.

The new JD mowers use B & S *engines and, IMO, they are just not all that
durable. * *Any opinions?

I had a Cub Cadet years ago and it was crap after 3 years, a Craftsman after
4 years. Both were a long time ago.

How about self propelled reliability? *It was subject to breaking in the
past, but may be more durable today.

I'm also thinking Honda. *Never had one but they seem to have a good
reputation.

The other day I started my 1985 lawnboy again, It been maintenance
free but I dont think they make the 2 strokes anymore. HD has Honda,
one for 350 non power drive I think, one for 389 online, I think thats
the best buy you can get, for another location I bought a Toro a few
years ago, its been fine except it clogs way to easy on damp grass and
I think ive always heard a bearing knock when I dont use 30w, it says
I can use multi grade but I should not hear bad bearings on a new
machine, if that is what I am hearing, im not sure. Honda at CR
magazine is top rated.- Hide quoted text -

I agree about the lawnboy 2 strokes. My old one, 19 years, is still
out at our lake house. I had to fix the self propel transmission, no
parts needed, I just flipped over a bit that was broken on one side.
And replace the muffler. It's that version where the muffler/
expansion chamber is under the deck. They just eventually rust out.
I think I might have put a carb kit in it once. It still starts right
up. The deck is starting to be pretty shabby but hasn't fallen apart
yet.

My newer one at our main house is 8 years old now. I have not done
anything to it but it is and always has been finicky about starting.
Usually takes 4 or 5 pulls. They moved the muffler above the deck.

Long ago I had one of their really old ones. Back when they made them
with cast aluminum decks. That one was perfect. Indistructable deck
and maintenance free 2 stroke.

I'll miss the two stroke mowers. I mix one 2 1/2 gallon can of oil
and gas and use it in everything, mower, trimmer, edger, chainsaw, and
blower.