Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Offsite records for when your home is blown away

==from another list===
Oh, you are so right about the critical records. I
read that to get into the town, you must have proof
that you live there or own a house there. Many
people who got out after the tornado were being
refused to come back in without a valid drivers'
license or other document proving they were a
resident there. I thought that was interesting.
Apparently they have had some problems with
looters. I wondered about women who lost their
purses and thought that many people would have
difficulty finding any other kinds of records proving
they lived there such as copies of home insurance,
mortgage bills, etc.... Their cars were blown away,
so they couldn't find anything in their cars. It would
pretty much have to be on them.
===end quoted===

===Chris writes===
You know, that gets me to thinking. I really should
have copies of my various bills, records, drivers
license, etc. Have photo copies, or maybe the expired
cards stored off site. The challenge, is to find a place
I can store them which is
1) understands survivalism
2) Honorable, and won't do ID theft and so on
3) far enough away, to be out of a localized crisis
4) near enough to be accessable

Of course, I could scan the documents to PDF, and
then encrypt the digital copies some how. Winrar
with password perhaps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
[...]

First, put them on CD/DVD - and create hard copy if there's room for it
wherever you decide to save it.PDF is a good idea.

Safe of your own, kept in basement/lower floor.
Safety Deposit Boxes at:
Bank
Post Office
wherever
Trusted relative - trade backups with them
County Records has your home taxes, ID, birth certficate & DMV has your
license.
Etc. These are things I use. I also have a firesafe that weighs in at 500
lbs of steel and is registered. It's not going to blow away or burn or ...
since it's located in a corner of the basement and cemented in all around
but not attached to the safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:

[...]

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the micro-SD card in your
cell phone as well. Most people evacuating will have their cell phone
with them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to print copies from
the micro-SD if needed. You can also readily get one of the very tiny
USB flash drives and keep it in your wallet. Add to that, keep your
important stuff as pics on your cell phone as well, a good pic of your
DL on your cell phone is probably sufficient in an emergency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting ideas. My cell phone doesn't have
removable memory. Though, it does open up
some good ideas. The digital camera I carry in
my pocket all day, does have a 2 GB card,
which could easily store some encrypted
documents.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the
micro-SD card in your cell phone as well. Most
people evacuating will have their cell phone with
them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to
print copies from the micro-SD if needed. You
can also readily get one of the very tiny USB
flash drives and keep it in your wallet. Add to that,
keep your important stuff as pics on your cell
phone as well, a good pic of your DL on your
cell phone is probably sufficient in an emergency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the micro-SD card in your
cell phone as well. Most people evacuating will have their cell phone
with them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to print copies from
the micro-SD if needed. You can also readily get one of the very tiny
USB flash drives and keep it in your wallet. Add to that, keep your
important stuff as pics on your cell phone as well, a good pic of your
DL on your cell phone is probably sufficient in an emergency.

If you lose your cellphone,then others have your personal information.
It's not uncommon for people to lose their cellphones.
you could save your data on a SD card,as many PCs have card reader/writers
or can accept one in a USB port. Then the SD card can be put in a secure
location.

I wouldn't like the lump from a USB drive in my wallet,a SD card would be
slimmer. BTW,wallets get lost or stolen too.
I guess you'd have to use encryption.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the micro-SD card in your
cell phone as well. Most people evacuating will have their cell phone
with them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to print copies from
the micro-SD if needed. You can also readily get one of the very tiny
USB flash drives and keep it in your wallet. Add to that, keep your
important stuff as pics on your cell phone as well, a good pic of your
DL on your cell phone is probably sufficient in an emergency.

If you lose your cellphone,then others have your personal information.
It's not uncommon for people to lose their cellphones.

I've had a cell phone since 1990 and I've never lost one.

you could save your data on a SD card,as many PCs have card reader/writers
or can accept one in a USB port. Then the SD card can be put in a secure
location.

I wouldn't like the lump from a USB drive in my wallet,a SD card would be
slimmer. BTW,wallets get lost or stolen too.
I guess you'd have to use encryption.

There are flat USB drives available that are around the size of a
mini-SD card and the same thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the micro-SD card in
your cell phone as well. Most people evacuating will have their
cell phone with them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to
print copies from the micro-SD if needed. You can also readily get
one of the very tiny USB flash drives and keep it in your wallet.
Add to that, keep your important stuff as pics on your cell phone
as well, a good pic of your DL on your cell phone is probably
sufficient in an emergency.

If you lose your cellphone,then others have your personal
information. It's not uncommon for people to lose their cellphones.

I've had a cell phone since 1990 and I've never lost one.

Oh,so EVERYBODY is just like you....?
I've found other people's cellphones,and read about other people doing the
same. My local paper has "ticked-off" column that also has "the flip side"
where people have thanked others for turning in their lost phones. I just
read about one yeasterday.

you could save your data on a SD card,as many PCs have card
reader/writers or can accept one in a USB port. Then the SD card can
be put in a secure location.

I wouldn't like the lump from a USB drive in my wallet,a SD card
would be slimmer. BTW,wallets get lost or stolen too.
I guess you'd have to use encryption.

There are flat USB drives available that are around the size of a
mini-SD card and the same thickness.

And probably costing much more than a simple SD card.
Heck,I can go into any drugstore or Wal-Mart and buy a SD card.
rugged and simple;KISS.

the USB -connector- alone is twice as thick as a SD card.
and having it in your -wallet- with all the stresses that would put on
it....not a good idea,IMO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

[...]

Nope, comparable price within a buck or two.

Heck,I can go into any drugstore or Wal-Mart and buy a SD card.
rugged and simple;KISS.

You have to find a reader for the SD card, which while common, isn't as
common as a USB port.

the USB -connector- alone is twice as thick as a SD card.

Nope, these USB drives are a fraction of the thickness of a standard USB
connector. They are just the part with the contacts, no shell and no
offset part.

and having it in your -wallet- with all the stresses that would put on
it....not a good idea,IMO.

No issues there either, and they are waterproof as well. Take a look on
the Verbatim site for their "Tuff-'n'-Tiny" USB drives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ter.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

[...]

BTW, ignore the prices on the Verbatim site, actual retail prices are
less than half that. Microcenter lists the 2GB at $7.99, 4GB at $10.99
and 8GB at $21.99
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote

If you lose your cellphone,then others have your personal information.
It's not uncommon for people to lose their cellphones.

I've had a cell phone since 1990 and I've never lost one.

So therefore we can conclude . . . . . . . nothing. It can and does happen
thousands of times a year. Same with toilets. People drop thousands of
them in toilets every year. Better to take the precaution that it may
happed, even after 30 years of blissful holding a phone.