Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Offsite records for when your home is blown away

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
==from another list===
Oh, you are so right about the critical records. I
read that to get into the town, you must have proof
that you live there or own a house there. Many
people who got out after the tornado were being
refused to come back in without a valid drivers'
license or other document proving they were a
resident there. I thought that was interesting.
Apparently they have had some problems with
looters. I wondered about women who lost their
purses and thought that many people would have
difficulty finding any other kinds of records proving
they lived there such as copies of home insurance,
mortgage bills, etc.... Their cars were blown away,
so they couldn't find anything in their cars. It would
pretty much have to be on them.
===end quoted===

===Chris writes===
You know, that gets me to thinking. I really should
have copies of my various bills, records, drivers
license, etc. Have photo copies, or maybe the expired
cards stored off site. The challenge, is to find a place
I can store them which is
1) understands survivalism
2) Honorable, and won't do ID theft and so on
3) far enough away, to be out of a localized crisis
4) near enough to be accessable

Of course, I could scan the documents to PDF, and
then encrypt the digital copies some how. Winrar
with password perhaps.

First, put them on CD/DVD - and create hard copy if there's room for it
wherever you decide to save it.PDF is a good idea.

Safe of your own, kept in basement/lower floor.
Safety Deposit Boxes at:
Bank
Post Office
wherever
Trusted relative - trade backups with them
County Records has your home taxes, ID, birth certficate & DMV has your
license.
Etc. These are things I use. I also have a firesafe that weighs in at 500
lbs of steel and is registered. It's not going to blow away or burn or ...
since it's located in a corner of the basement and cemented in all around
but not attached to the safe.