Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!

My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/29/2011 9:39 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

Indeed...either power supply fan or hard drive preparing to crash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:39*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! *My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: *Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

shut down, open case, turn on, and check for wire too close to fans
as well as others' tips here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:39*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! *My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: *Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

SOUNDS LIKE MY COUSIN GERTRUDUS GAVE BIRTH IN YOUR COMPUTER.

I'LL SEND SOME PHANTASMS TO GET HER & THE BABY OUTA THERE FOR YOU.
IN THE MEANWHILE FOLLOW THE OPEN, CLEAN AND LUBE THEY RECOMMENDED.

PAT ECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you tried rocking it in your arms, and tell it that
everything is OK?

More seriously, my best guess is a cooling fan bearing has
dried up. Fan needs either to be reoiled with ND-20 oil or
replaced.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My
computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few
minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever
experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months
ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2011 9:39 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

probably the fan ontop the processor.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

My PC did that years ago. Turned out to be the bearing in the hard
drive. Better backup your stuff now and get ready to buy a new hard
drive (or new PC).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:39*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! *My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: *Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

There are 2 to 3 fans in the PC...these are most likely what is
screaming (a dry bearing type of scream).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

My computer (PC, 5+ years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

Any honest consultant who upgraded your computer just two months ago
will check your computer for free and charge you nothing for minor
repairs.

Stuff that can screech in a computer:

1. Fans -- in the power supply, on the CPU and maybe the graphics
card, in the case. Try stopping each fan momentarily and listen for
changes. Do NOT try to stop the power supply fan by sticking a
screwdriver into it because there's exposed high voltage all over the
interior of the power supply. Instead use a disposable plastic straw
because plastic doesn't conduct electricity, and disposable straws are
flexible and won't break off or break fan blades. Stick the straw(s)
in before turning on the PSU. Replace or relube noisy fans. Relubing
ball bearings usually doesn't help, but a drop of light machine oil
(5-10 weight) can silence sleeve bearings. Sometimes it's not the
bearings but a thrust washer that's screaming because of scoring or
distortion. Real hardware stores sell replacement washers, both metal
and plastic (nylon or delrin).

2. Disk drives -- rarely. If the drive is identified on the BIOS boot-
up screen, it's highly unlikely the drive is screaming.

3. Speakers -- the audio circuitry may pick up noise because of buggy
software or because a filter capacitor is really bad and causing AC to
get into the circuitry's power.

4. Inductors -- coils and transformers in the power supply, on the
mother board, and on most graphics cards. Sometimes their windings
are simply loose, but screaming that suddenly appears often indicates
bad capacitors, which can make transistors (MOSFETs) turn on and off
more gradually or make the output voltage low and cause a voltage
regulator to try too hard to compensate. Bad capacitors aren't
unusual in 5-year-old computers, and in the case of power-hungry
Pentium 4s, even quality brand capacitors. Also one of those quality
brands, Nichicon, had a bad run of HM and HN models from about
2001-2004. See www.BadCaps.net for lots of information about such
problems. Bad caps can eventually make MOSFETs burn out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2011 4:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:14:55 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

probably the fan ontop the processor.

thermal grease dried up.

lmao.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:39*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! *My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: *Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

It's probably had enough of living in a left wing radical's
house and wants out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

probably the fan ontop the processor.

thermal grease dried up.

It's not thermal grease in the fan motor, but the grease does have a
tendancy to dry out in the heat. A drop of turbine oil or other fine
lubricating oil (NOT WD40) will usually solve the problem for a year
or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 3:49*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

My computer (PC, 5+ years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

Any honest consultant who upgraded your computer just two months ago
will check your computer for free and charge you nothing for minor
repairs.

Hmm...never occurred to me. I'll call him & see how he reacts.

[...]

My knowledgeable neighbor came over & showed me how to take off the
cover -- piece of cake; I feel like a jerk for not noticing!
He checked the fan. Spins freely. WAS cleaned and dusted by
consulted, so that's not the prob.

NOTE: This computer has only ONE fan; doesn't have a separate one
for the processor or graphics card.. Is that a function of old
model? It's a Dell Dimension, only about 5-6 years old.

Fan cover fits well; no dust inside. Neighbor spun the fan; didn't
hang up or stick; not noisy. I'll do the test you suggested, but
don't know what "changes" to listen/watch for. COULD YOU ELUCIDATE.

2. Disk drives -- rarely. *If the drive is identified on the BIOS boot-
up screen, it's highly unlikely the drive is screaming.

3. Speakers -- the audio circuitry may pick up noise because of buggy
software or because a filter capacitor is really bad and causing AC to
get into the circuitry's power.

Screaming heard even when outside speakers are not on. There is also
a tiny speaker inside, as some have pointed out. I'm not techie
enough to check on FILTER CAPACITORS but will ask my neighbor if that
rings a bell.

4. Inductors -- coils and transformers in the power supply, on the
mother board, and on most graphics cards. *Sometimes their windings
are simply loose, but screaming that suddenly appears often indicates
bad capacitors, which can make transistors (MOSFETs) turn on and off
more gradually or make the output voltage low and cause a voltage
regulator to try too hard to compensate. *Bad capacitors aren't
unusual in 5-year-old computers, and in the case of power-hungry
Pentium 4s, even quality brand capacitors. *Also one of those quality
brands, Nichicon, had a bad run of HM and HN models from about
2001-2004. *Seewww.BadCaps.netfor lots of information about such
problems. *Bad caps can eventually make MOSFETs burn out.

Thank you for that precious (but over my head g) analysis. I'm
grateful for the heads-up about potential reasons for screaming, and
will bounce them off neighbor.
As well as calling consultant.

One thing neighbor did suggest: Put in a new mother board. But would
that address the SCREAMING problem?

TX

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 3:41*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

My knowledgeable neighbor came over & showed me how to take off the
cover -- piece of cake; I feel like a jerk for not noticing!
He checked the fan. Spins freely. *WAS cleaned and dusted by
consulted, so that's not the prob.

NOTE: * This computer has only ONE fan; doesn't have a separate one
for the processor or graphics card.. *Is that a function of old
model? *It's a Dell Dimension, only about 5-6 years old.

Fan cover fits well; no dust inside. Neighbor spun the fan; didn't
hang up or stick; not noisy. *I'll do the test you suggested, but
don't know what "changes" to listen/watch for. *COULD YOU ELUCIDATE

You must have at least 2 fans with a PC that age. Power supple fan and
CPU fan...and spinning them will tell you little. Turn it on with it
open and listen where the squeal is coming from.
You seem to like to complicate things...like you want the attention!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2011 4:41 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Apr 30, 3:49 pm, "larry moe 'n
wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Before you spend money on a new motherboard, be advised that many Dells
of your vintage used non-standard pinouts for the PS connection. Don't
recall offhand if the Dimension was one of them. Not a slam on you, but
given your lack of experience with computer innards, a motherboard swap
is likely to be a long, expensive, and frustrating experience. Since we
don't know where the screaming is coming from, it may or may not fix
problem. I'd try unplugging the internal speaker (if it isn't
hard-mounted to motherboard), and see if it makes a difference. But a
screaming sound is usually made by a moving part, and your computer
doesn't have many of those- drives and power supply fan.

My low-buck recommendation, based on my day job doing computer support,
and my former side gig of rebuilding/reselling computers (before cheap
new ones killed the market), is to look on CraigsList for a computer of
similar brand and vintage. Don't pay over 100 bucks for it. You can move
your hard drive over, as well as any components that are better than
what new machine has (like video and memory, if the sockets match.)

For just a little more $, you can get a new Dell entry-level system
online or from SamsClub or similar. I'm a cheap SOB, so I have never
purchased a new computer, but I have assisted others, and they were all
pleased with the performance of even entry-level new machines.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is WD-40 a lubricant, or a water displacer?

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been evoked
and called forth from the spirit world, someone is sure
to mention WD-40. The debate "is it a lubricant or water
displacer" is not complete until someone explains what
the letters abbrev. for. Points are earned by quoting
usenet posters of old, Aristotle, or your own personal
experiences with WD-40. Web pages abound, and are
on topic for the debate. Regardless of how worthy an
argument is, no one is allowed to change sides. The
debate must continue to eternity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

It's not thermal grease in the fan motor, but the grease
does have a
tendancy to dry out in the heat. A drop of turbine oil or
other fine
lubricating oil (NOT WD40) will usually solve the problem
for a year
or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 6:13*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Is WD-40 a lubricant, or a water displacer?

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been evoked
and called forth from the spirit world, someone is sure
to mention WD-40. The debate "is it a lubricant or water
displacer" is not complete until someone explains what
the letters abbrev. for. Points are earned by quoting
usenet posters of old, Aristotle, or your own personal
experiences with WD-40. Web *pages abound, and are
on topic for the debate. Regardless of how worthy an
argument is, no one is allowed to change sides. The
debate must continue to eternity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

You must have stolen this...you have never made this much sense!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Bob:
Not stolen. I am the author.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been evoked
and called forth from the spirit world, someone is sure
to mention WD-40. The debate "is it a lubricant or water
displacer" is not complete until someone explains what
the letters abbrev. for. Points are earned by quoting
usenet posters of old, Aristotle, or your own personal
experiences with WD-40. Web pages abound, and are
on topic for the debate. Regardless of how worthy an
argument is, no one is allowed to change sides. The
debate must continue to eternity.

You must have stolen this...you have never made this much
sense!

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, that is the way it was. I don't remember the list of
the other debates, but I did "pen" the bit about Young's Law
of Usenet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Maybe not stolen. A few months back he compiled
a short list. One about the position of the screw in
a wall cover plate, and a few other strong debates
here over the past.

He gave it a name -- Young's Law of usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 May 2011 21:08:04 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Dear Bob:
Not stolen. I am the author.

Really?
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+d...ient=firefox-a

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dear Bob:
Not stolen. I am the author.

Really?
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+d...ient=firefox-a

I meant to cancel this message instead of sending it.
Sorry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Young's Law, (was: SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!)

Yes. December 13, 2010. Thank you for looking it up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Dear Bob:
Not stolen. I am the author.

Really?
http://www.google.com/search?q=The+d...ient=firefox-a

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SOS - premature posting! COMPUTER! Bah, humbug.

With computers, it's possible to embarass oneself at the
speed of light. I'm not worried about it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 May 2011 21:59:20 -0400, Metspitzer

wrote:

I meant to cancel this message instead of sending it.

Don't you just hate that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 8:08*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Dear Bob:
* *Not stolen. I am the author.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been evoked
and called forth from the spirit world, someone is sure
to mention WD-40. The debate "is it a lubricant or water
displacer" is not complete until someone explains what
the letters abbrev. for. Points are earned by quoting
usenet posters of old, Aristotle, or your own personal
experiences with WD-40. Web pages abound, and are
on topic for the debate. Regardless of how worthy an
argument is, no one is allowed to change sides. The
debate must continue to eternity.

You must have stolen this...you have never made this much
sense!

Of course...you need to recognize sarcasm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 3:58*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

That is so unfair! I am way in over my depth and appealing for help;
trying to report conditions as accurately as can, along with steps
already taken. The last thing I need is an unkind comment like that.
How would like it if you were struggling with a potentially disastrous
problem, and someone treated you like that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:39:53 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

If the sound is coming from the speaker it is most likely overheat.
You can reboot the computer and the bios will tell you what the
overheat alarm is set to. It will also tell you the current temp. You
should let the computer run for at least a min or two because it cools
down pretty fast too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=my+computer+is+overheating

You can unplug the fan from the mobo and if that stops the screaming,
you can replace the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 5:32*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Waaaa...you can't be *that* helpless!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 6:24*pm, Tegger wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote in news:e79adad9-b585-4209-9870-
:

That is so *unfair! *I am way in over my depth and appealing for help;
trying to report conditions as accurately as *can, along with steps
already *taken. The last thing I need is an unkind comment like that.
How would like it if you were struggling with a potentially disastrous
problem, and someone treated you like that!

I think you might need to define "screaming" a bit better to get better-
quality help. But I'll take a shot at it anyway...

Most odd computer-noises are the fan bearings going bad. These will NOT
show up if you spin the fan by hand, and they are often intermittent for
the longest time. You have at least TWO fans: one on the CPU on the
motherboard, and one inside the power supply at the back of the case.

My recommendation: Leave the side cover off the case. Next time you hear
the noise, get a drinking straw or ballpoint pen and stick it slowly into
either fan until the fan stops. No kidding. This will NOT harm the fan, as
awful as it might sound when you're doing it. If the odd noise stops,
that's the fan that's bad.

--
Tegger

Very similar to what I told him...didn't do much good either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

If your computer guy upgraded the speed by putting in a faster CPU, it
may be that he did not use any thermal compound between the heat sink
and the chip. If he upgraded the memory, this would not cause
overheating, but it could be bad memory. You can set the bios to
check the memory on startup. It slows the boot down, but you only
need to do it for one boot. Memory and CPU are about the only thing
you can do to speed up the computer. Adding a graphics card will also
add heat and power consumption.

How long has your computer been screaming? You would notice any
problems with the CPU the first day.

Maybe the hard drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 May 2011 15:32:45 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On May 1, 3:58Â*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On May 1, 3:41Â*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

My knowledgeable neighbor came over & showed me how to take off the
cover -- piece of cake; I feel like a jerk for not noticing!
He checked the fan. Spins freely. Â*WAS cleaned and dusted by
consulted, so that's not the prob.

NOTE: Â* This computer has only ONE fan; doesn't have a separate one
for the processor or graphics card.. Â*Is that a function of old
model? Â*It's a Dell Dimension, only about 5-6 years old.

Fan cover fits well; no dust inside. Neighbor spun the fan; didn't
hang up or stick; not noisy. Â*I'll do the test you suggested, but
don't know what "changes" to listen/watch for. Â*COULD YOU ELUCIDATE

You must have at least 2 fans with a PC that age. Power supple fan and
CPU fan...and spinning them will tell you little. Turn it on with it
open and listen where the squeal is coming from.
You seem to like to complicate things...like you want the attention!

That is so unfair! I am way in over my depth and appealing for help;
trying to report conditions as accurately as can, along with steps
already taken. The last thing I need is an unkind comment like that.
How would like it if you were struggling with a potentially disastrous
problem, and someone treated you like that!

With the case off, when it squeals stop each fan to see if the noise
stops - use a small peice of hose (or a drinking straw) to your ear to
locate exactly where the squeel is coming from. Then fix, or report.