Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:39:53 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

My guru is not here, so I don't know what to do! My computer (PC, 5+
years old; well-behaved), has started SCREAMING every few minutes.
It wants something, or is warning me of something.

Turning to knowledgeable NG members: Did you ever experience this?
What might it mean?

I just paid a consultant pretty fair bux about two months ago to
upgrade, so I'm tapped out, computer-wise, but
scared to death I might be hearing a death rattle.

SOS!

HB

If the sound is coming from the speaker it is most likely overheat.
You can reboot the computer and the bios will tell you what the
overheat alarm is set to. It will also tell you the current temp. You
should let the computer run for at least a min or two because it cools
down pretty fast too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=my+computer+is+overheating

You can unplug the fan from the mobo and if that stops the screaming,
you can replace the fan.