Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!

Higgs Boson wrote in news:e79adad9-b585-4209-9870-
:

That is so unfair! I am way in over my depth and appealing for help;
trying to report conditions as accurately as can, along with steps
already taken. The last thing I need is an unkind comment like that.
How would like it if you were struggling with a potentially disastrous
problem, and someone treated you like that!

I think you might need to define "screaming" a bit better to get better-
quality help. But I'll take a shot at it anyway...

Most odd computer-noises are the fan bearings going bad. These will NOT
show up if you spin the fan by hand, and they are often intermittent for
the longest time. You have at least TWO fans: one on the CPU on the
motherboard, and one inside the power supply at the back of the case.

My recommendation: Leave the side cover off the case. Next time you hear
the noise, get a drinking straw or ballpoint pen and stick it slowly into
either fan until the fan stops. No kidding. This will NOT harm the fan, as
awful as it might sound when you're doing it. If the odd noise stops,
that's the fan that's bad.

--
Tegger