Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet leaks?

I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't say as I've ever gone to a relative's house, and put
food coloring in the tank of someone else toilet. But,
unless the valve is too high and running into the over flow,
there should be no leakage.

Do you also degauss her television, and dust under her
fridge?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my
daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl.
I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or
all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the
ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and
something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 8:38*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

It's /they are leaking, unless someone flushed them in between your
visits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:56*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 29, 8:38*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

It's /they are leaking, unless someone flushed them in between your
visits.

either the level in the tanks too high, and its running over the
overflow, thats easily seen

or the more likely case a bad flapper.

good catch water and sewer are expensive to just let run
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:38*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

buffalo ny: see www.fluidmaster.com for toilet repair info, there are
test tablets they provide to test for this lost water you have
similarly found. following a flush, after the flapper closes, there
should be no water exiting thru there from the tank to the bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet.

Ran out of hard-boiled eggs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:38*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

THAT'S AWEFUL...REMOVE IT AND REPLACE IT WITH AN OUTHOUSE.

PATECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I can't say as I've ever gone to a relative's house, and put
food coloring in the tank of someone else toilet. But,
unless the valve is too high and running into the over flow,
there should be no leakage.

That is why I put the food coloring in it. It looked like the water
in the tank might be a little bit higher than the overflow. I thought if
I put the food color near the pipe, it would show that the water was
flowing into the tube. It did not, went to the bottom of the tank and
then into the bowl.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 9:10*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I can't say as I've ever gone to a relative's house, and put
food coloring in the tank of someone else toilet. But,
unless the valve is too high and running into the over flow,
there should be no leakage.

* * *That is why I put the food coloring in it. It looked like the water
in the tank might be a little bit higher than the overflow. I thought if
I put the food color near the pipe, it would show that the water was
flowing into the tube. It did not, went to the bottom of the tank and
then into the bowl.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

IT'S THOSE DARN FLAPPERS, IT SEEMS AFTER A WHILE WITH THE TEMPERATURE
CHANGES IN WATER THEY EVENTUALLY CURL UP AT THE EDGES A LITTLE ...TRY
COATING THE STOP WITH PETROLEUM JELLY....IF IT STILL LEAKS IT'S
PROBABLY TIME TO CHANGE THE FLAPPER.

PAT ECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:10:48 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

there should be no leakage.

That is why I put the food coloring in it. It looked like the water
in the tank might be a little bit higher than the overflow. I thought if
I put the food color near the pipe, it would show that the water was
flowing into the tube. It did not, went to the bottom of the tank and
then into the bowl.

Clean or replace the flapper(s). Likely the cause of the leaks.

Okay. You think the flappers will be all that is needed?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:27:17 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:08:17 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

wrote:

there should be no leakage.

That is why I put the food coloring in it. It looked like the water
in the tank might be a little bit higher than the overflow. I thought if
I put the food color near the pipe, it would show that the water was
flowing into the tube. It did not, went to the bottom of the tank and
then into the bowl.

Clean or replace the flapper(s). Likely the cause of the leaks.

Okay. You think the flappers will be all that is needed?

Yes, for the most part. Slide your finger around the flapper seat,
ensuring there is no damage. If the seat fills clean just clean the
flapper (if it is slimy) or replace it if weak, cracked, etc.

Just replace the flapper. If that doesn't fix it more surgery is needed. You
have to remove the tank to replace the seat (there are kits that don't require
it, but they're half-assed measures) and flappers are cheap. Might just as
well start with the easy stuff. The tank could be cracked, too. My mother
had that happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2011 8:38 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I was putting some food coloring in the tank of my daughter's toilet and
the color soon was seen running down the sides of the bowl. I did the
other two and got the same results. Does that not work or all of them
leaking?

they're all seeping.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2011 8:10 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

I can't say as I've ever gone to a relative's house, and put
food coloring in the tank of someone else toilet. But,
unless the valve is too high and running into the over flow,
there should be no leakage.

That is why I put the food coloring in it. It looked like the water
in the tank might be a little bit higher than the overflow. I thought if
I put the food color near the pipe, it would show that the water was
flowing into the tube. It did not, went to the bottom of the tank and
then into the bowl.

if the water "looks" like it's higher than the overflow tube, then it
is. It's not rocket science to see that. Lower the float level and retest.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know of two ways that water goes from tank to bowl.
Flapper, and overflow tube. Sounds like it's not the
overflow tube. And, flappers do go bad.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

Clean or replace the flapper(s). Likely the cause of the
leaks.

Okay. You think the flappers will be all that is needed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

m...

Clean or replace the flapper(s). Likely the cause of the
leaks.

* *Okay. You think the flappers will be all that is needed?

ACTUALLY THE STOP CONNECTING THE BOWL TO THE WATER TANK CAN CRACK, SO
THE FLAPPER MAY NOT BE THE PROBLEM.

TGITM
HE'LL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT TO.