Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet leaks at base.

Our toilet leaks at the base and rots the wood floor. We've pulled it
twice now, cleaned the junction, replaced the wax ring, and reseated
it. It still leaked. Now we've had the wood floor repaired from the
water damage, and I don't want this to occur again.

Any advice?

The pvc fitting on the floor is a bit strange, it has an offset. Is
that common? The foundation is concrete, so I can't exactly replace
this, but I blame this for the fact that this toilet seems to get
clogged a lot. The fitting is also not perfectly level, could that be
the problem?

Are there special wax rings that might help prevent this problem?

Three Pictures (the resudue is from the wood floor repair, I have
cleaned the junction well before reseating the toilet in the past):

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...51643511105762

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...51647806073074

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...51647806073090
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 11:07*pm, wrote:
Our toilet leaks at the base and rots the wood floor. *We've pulled it
twice now, cleaned the junction, replaced the wax ring, and reseated
it. *It still leaked. Now we've had the wood floor repaired from the
water damage, and I don't want this to occur again.

Any advice?

The pvc fitting on the floor is a bit strange, it has an offset. *Is
that common? *The foundation is concrete, so I can't exactly replace
this, but I blame this for the fact that this toilet seems to get
clogged a lot. *The fitting is also not perfectly level, could that be
the problem?

Are there special wax rings that might help prevent this problem?

Three Pictures (the resudue is from the wood floor repair, I have
cleaned the junction well before reseating the toilet in the past):

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051643...

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051647...

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051647...

Double up on the wax ring or get a toilet flange extension.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The offset would be a I screwed up the measurement Item. They roughed in
the water closet wrong the offset is how they fixed it. I would seal all the
ends of the wood with caulking. I would use a flanged wax ring with plain
wax ring on top of that your flange looks a little low ( I think they make
a thicker one also ) Now hears the hot tip when you caluk the base of the
water closet to the floor leave the back un-caulked that way if there is a
problem the water will run out not just sit on the floor under the water
closet plus you will see it. Another thing I do is I set the toilet flush it
a bunch times slip a piece of paper under the toilet and make sure there is
water then I caulk. Another thing I would do not really very conventional I
would set the toilet without a wax ring trace wear it sits pull it up And
seal the hell out of the wood underneath it, The problem is wood a water do
not mix I myself do not recommend wood floors in kitchen or bathrooms you
just asking for trouble but I'm sure a lot of people never have a problem .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Fernco makes a rubber seal:
http://www.fernco.com/FTS.asp
but I don't think it will work with your offset flange.

As the other Jim said, double up on wax.

Another trick: Don't merely slap the wax ring on
the toilet outlet horn. Heat an extra ring with a
hair dryer to soften it. Dry the horn with the dryer too.
Take a putty knife and smear the heated wax around the
horn so it sticks like glue. The, take a fresh ring
and squish it onto the prepared horn. Work it by hand to
adhere tightly.

Measure to be sure the wax ring(s) extend far enough so it will
be compressed when it meets the flange. Clean the flange
and apply heated wax to it too with putty knife.

Offset flanges will indeed cause clogging. It's worse
if the toilet paper is the newer soft style.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 8:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips everyone. Agreed that the offset is probably
compensation for a screw-up.

I never considered doubling up on the wax ring. I'll do that. So I
just stack one on top of another? Any risk that it will deform into
the water path when seating the toilet and disrupt flushing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sac Dave wrote:
seal the hell out of the wood underneath it, The problem is wood a water do
not mix I myself do not recommend wood floors in kitchen or bathrooms you
just asking for trouble but I'm sure a lot of people never have a problem .

Even with a tile floor, it's hard to get away from a wooden subfloor.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the tips everyone. Agreed that the offset is probably
compensation for a screw-up.

I never considered doubling up on the wax ring. I'll do that. So I
just stack one on top of another? Any risk that it will deform into
the water path when seating the toilet and disrupt flushing?

No you wont have problem but what do I know I'm just a plumber. Good Luck
TILE TILE TILE

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

jim wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

I second that - not many DIYers know that you can use 2 rings!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 8:07*pm, wrote:
Our toilet leaks at the base and rots the wood floor. *We've pulled it
twice now, cleaned the junction, replaced the wax ring, and reseated
Are there special wax rings that might help prevent this problem?

Don't bother with the wax seals. Use a wax-free seal; Fernco makes a
couple. They've very tolerant of movement, bad level, depth, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

You have a couple of things going on that are contributing to the
problem. The flange is too low and it not being level doesn't help.
Wood floors and toilets aren't the best combination. The wood moves
and will wick up any water creating stains under the finish that you
won't be able to get out. Red oak is particularly problematic as the
tannins in the wood usually create black stains.

I'd install a toilet base plate (I usually make mine from Corian sink
cutouts, but they're available for purchase), install a flange
extension to raise the height and compensate for the out of level
condition, and use a wax ring with a plastic horn on it.