Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snapper hi-vac mower

Taking a long shot here, seeing if anyone might have had one of these. I
have an old Snapper hi-vac walk behind mower, the 21" side discharge one,
and need to replace the rear wheels.

The rear wheels, if you remember, were attached to an axle, and I need to
remove the wheels from the axle. Of course, after loosening the nut, they
don't just pull off.

I called the local shop, and the counter gal said they get stuck on there,
and agreed with my idea of using a puller against the axle to get the wheel
off.

Has anyone done this, and able to verify this as being the correct
procedure?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Taking a long shot here, seeing if anyone might have had one of
these. I have an old Snapper hi-vac walk behind mower, the 21" side
discharge one, and need to replace the rear wheels.

The rear wheels, if you remember, were attached to an axle, and I
need to remove the wheels from the axle. Of course, after loosening
the nut, they don't just pull off.

I called the local shop, and the counter gal said they get stuck on
there, and agreed with my idea of using a puller against the axle to
get the wheel off.

Has anyone done this, and able to verify this as being the correct
procedure?

I haven't. But before you do that, go to the auto parts store and get some
spray stuff used to loosen frozen nuts/bolts. The counter guy can advise you
on the best product.

Slather that stuff on the axle. Wait. Remove wheel.

I'm amazed at how well these "frozen bolt remover" compounds are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

before you do that, go to the auto parts store and get some
spray stuff used to loosen frozen nuts/bolts. The counter guy can advise you
on the best product.

He doesn't even need to ask the counter guy. Our little clan here is
full of experts who know the best stuff for freeing sticky mechanisms.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 1, 8:18*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Taking a long shot here, seeing if anyone might have had one of these. *I
have an old Snapper hi-vac walk behind mower, the 21" side discharge one,
and need to replace the rear wheels.

The rear wheels, if you remember, were attached to an axle, and I need to
remove the wheels from the axle. *Of course, after loosening the nut, they
don't just pull off.

I called the local shop, and the counter gal said they get stuck on there,
and agreed with my idea of using a puller against the axle to get the wheel
off.

Has anyone done this, and able to verify this as being the correct
procedure?

Thanks,

Jon

Spray it with Kroil (best) or any handy penetrant (not WD 40). If you
are going to replace the wheels anyway, and the penetrant doesn't work
out, cut them off with your favorite demo tool and use a bearing
puller on what's left of the bearing assembly. Clean the axle shaft,
measure carefully and buy new wheels to fit. Harbor Freight has some
good ones.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Taking a long shot here, seeing if anyone might have had one of these. I
have an old Snapper hi-vac walk behind mower, the 21" side discharge one,
and need to replace the rear wheels.

The rear wheels, if you remember, were attached to an axle, and I need to
remove the wheels from the axle. Of course, after loosening the nut, they
don't just pull off.

I called the local shop, and the counter gal said they get stuck on there,
and agreed with my idea of using a puller against the axle to get the
wheel off.

Has anyone done this, and able to verify this as being the correct
procedure?

Thanks,

Jon

Mis-read that the first time so I will say +1 on the liquid wrench or
similar spray compound.spay well and let it sit overnight.

Yes I can see a puller working on small wheel like that but for the life of
me I could not figure out how to do it on the rider version.

Colbyt