Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storing a snapper riding mower

Good day all:

My mother in law has a riding snapper mower and being it has the rear
bars to stand it upright to ease in the changing of the blade she thinks she
can store it upright for long periods of time, well now it has a massive
puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am looking
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long periods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wildwillie69" u44143@uwe wrote in message news:8568de84490c7@uwe...
Good day all:

My mother in law has a riding snapper mower and being it has the rear
bars to stand it upright to ease in the changing of the blade she thinks
she
can store it upright for long periods of time, well now it has a massive
puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am
looking
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long
periods.

Would you stand your car on end? The oil can run to places it does not
belong and leak, as you've seen. just keep in on the wheels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 4:32*am, "wildwillie69" u44143@uwe wrote:
Good day all:

* * *My mother in law has a riding snapper mower and being it has the rear
bars to stand it upright to ease in the changing of the blade she thinks she
can store it upright for long periods of time, well now it has a massive
puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am looking
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long periods.

So what did snapper say, tip a motor to far for a long time and you
could have partialy filled the cylinder with enough oil to cause
hydrolock or break a piston or ring on startup, I did. The air filter
could be ruined, is the battery 100% sealed. How does one easily lift
a rider, 90 degrees, she must be strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B. wrote:
Â* Â* Â*My mother in law has a riding snapper mower and being it has the rear
bars to stand it upright to ease in the changing of the blade she thinks she
can store it upright for long periods of time, well now it has a massive
puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am looking
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long periods.

From my Snapper manual

Storage:
The mower may be set on end for servicing or storage within the
following limitations:

1. For electric starter units, remove battery if the mower is to be
stood on end for more than two hours.

2. For winter storage always drain oil and gasoline. Refer to engine
manual for proper procedure to follow.

3. After storing on end the following procedure is required before
starting machine. With ignition switch turned off pull engine over
slowly. If excessive resistance is felt or engine refuses to rotate
remove spark plug and spin engine to clear cylinder of oil. Clean and
replace spark plug.

Steve B.

Thanks this is most helpful

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
Good day all:

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
puddle of oil under it when sitting on all four wheels, so what I am looking
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long periods.

So what did snapper say, tip a motor to far for a long time and you
could have partialy filled the cylinder with enough oil to cause
hydrolock or break a piston or ring on startup, I did. The air filter
could be ruined, is the battery 100% sealed. How does one easily lift
a rider, 90 degrees, she must be strong.

Thanks for the reply, some good points made

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Good day all:

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
for is the recommended manufactures procedure for storing over long
periods.

Would you stand your car on end? The oil can run to places it does not
belong and leak, as you've seen. just keep in on the wheels.

Thanks for the reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Good day all: