Posted to alt.home.repair

Default snapper riding mower. need to remove differential.

Hello. I have a Snapper riding lawn mower. Engine is rear mounted.
Recently the mower stopped moving and it is because the differential
slips in forward. (It works in reverse). I can't figure out how to
remove the rear axle. But I need to so I can see what is wrong. Like
if it is a stripped gear etc.. I've taken the cover off the gear boxes
and haven't seen anything obvious.. I think it might be something I
can't get to without dismanteling the whole thing. I've seen a
rebuild kit online for 75 bucks, but I want to make sure I can do it
first! Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

sirmopalot wrote:

Hello. I have a Snapper riding lawn mower. Engine is rear mounted.
Recently the mower stopped moving and it is because the differential
slips in forward. (It works in reverse). I can't figure out how to
remove the rear axle. But I need to so I can see what is wrong. Like
if it is a stripped gear etc.. I've taken the cover off the gear boxes
and haven't seen anything obvious.. I think it might be something I
can't get to without dismanteling the whole thing. I've seen a
rebuild kit online for 75 bucks, but I want to make sure I can do it
first! Thanks for any suggestions!

I've had a couple of Snapper riding mowers over the years.

Are you SURE that it's a differential problem?

From what I remember about the last time I was inside one of those it's
sort of hard to see how the differential could "slip" in one direction only.

Are you SURE your problem isn't just a worn or misadjusted rubber tired
drive disk?

To test if the differential is "slipping" or not, with the engine off
and the gas tank less than half full, put the gear selector in neutral
and flip the mower "on it's back". Then have a look at where the rubber
tired drive wheel ends up when you "shift gears".

It should be tight against the engine shaft drive disk when the shift is
in any forward gear or reverse. If it isn't, readjust things until it
is. Once it's tight against the drive disk and you can rotate one wheel
by hand without the other wheel turning in the opposite direction, you
were right, the differential is toast, but I'm hoping that it isn't.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

sirmopalot wrote:
Hello. I have a Snapper riding lawn mower. Engine is rear mounted.
Recently the mower stopped moving and it is because the differential
slips in forward. (It works in reverse). I can't figure out how to
remove the rear axle. But I need to so I can see what is wrong. Like
if it is a stripped gear etc.. I've taken the cover off the gear boxes
and haven't seen anything obvious.. I think it might be something I
can't get to without dismanteling the whole thing. I've seen a
rebuild kit online for 75 bucks, but I want to make sure I can do it
first! Thanks for any suggestions!

Agree w/ the other posts -- had a nearly 30-yr old Snapper rider w/ so
many hard hours on it the whole frame was wearing through and been
welded over and over and the differential/drive train never had a
problem. So, I think it unlikely to be a problem in the differential to
begin with. Add to that the "drive in reverse, no-go in forward" and it
doesn't sound like a differential problem but the drive.

But, if raise rear off ground and have in neutral and can turn one wheel
and the other goes 'round opposite, it definitely isn't. Unless and
until that test fails, no need to go further in your quest on the "how"
of disassembly.

If it does indeed fail that test and isn't in the tension adjust or some
other drive problem related to that, the dealer for service/repair/parts
diagrams is the ticket. I didn't do a search, but would be somewhat
surprising if can't find them online as well...

It's been too long to recall much specifically as for a guess on the
how, but undoubtedly the axle will be held w/ a snap ring on one or both
ends and they'll come out with the proper incantation...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I appreciate the posts so far. When I flip it over and turn one
wheel, the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction. When turning
the wheels the same direction (like normal) it will rotate the disc a
little and then slip. makes kind of like metal rubbing on metal..
maybe chain on metal.. then it will catch again. Maybe a stretched
chain? As far as it being in forward gear position the clutch(?) makes
full contact with the drive disc.. Thanks again for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

sirmopalot wrote:

I appreciate the posts so far. When I flip it over and turn one
wheel, the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction. When turning
the wheels the same direction (like normal) it will rotate the disc a
little and then slip. makes kind of like metal rubbing on metal..
maybe chain on metal.. then it will catch again. Maybe a stretched
chain? As far as it being in forward gear position the clutch(?) makes
full contact with the drive disc.. Thanks again for your help!

It's beginning to sound to me like a sprocket and/or chain problem.

Could be a near toothless sprocket or, as you sugggested, a really slack
chain.

Let us know what it turnes out to be, once you bite the bullet and start
getting inside it.

If you've got a digital camera handy, it wouldn't hurt to snap a few
"reassembly guide" pictures if your short term memory is as lousy as
mine has become.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let us know what it turnes out to be, once you bite the bullet and start
getting inside it.

Yeah definately will!

Old Agway Riding Mower spongehead Home Repair 6 March 29th 07 01:41 AM
Ran oil out on riding mower - mar10 Home Repair 23 July 27th 06 02:39 AM
Help with old snapper riding mower... Brigitte Home Repair 11 May 18th 06 04:48 PM
snapper mower gg Home Repair 0 June 27th 05 01:17 AM