Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ran oil out on riding mower -

Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy a new motor but 2200 is way to high, I would not repair it if it
wont turn over easy, if it seized it melted and warped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Jeez, you can get the old Chevy rebuilt for that. Talk to small engine
places out in the country that need business. Or, look into buying a
"short block" (no carb, starter, ...) and put that in yourself. It's
not hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know how mechanically capable you are, but many times small
engines just don't have the power to really chew themselves up. It
isn't like a V-8 where you have seven others pounding on the stopped
one. I'd try; put thin oil in the crank case, atf would do, then fill
it with penetrating oil through the spark plug holes & let it sit for a
couple of days (leave the spark plugs out). Then try turning it back
and forth with a wrench a little at a time. If you begin to gain a
little, stay with it till you get full revolutions. Once it begins to
turn easier spin it with the starter till it turns easily by hand with
the plug still out, drain the crankcase change the filter and refill
with your regular oil, replace the spark plugs. If you are lucky it
should start and run now, if you are really lucky it won't knock or
smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

dang.... sorry for you and your dad......

I had the dip stick pop out on two craftman mowers of mine...one a push
mower and the other my rider....didnt lose all the oil though but I
lost quite a bit in both......and neither were hurt by the
experience...... the push mower died because of just being old and
abused...10 or 11 years old.... of course my old monkey wards 3.5 hp
POS mower is abused on a weekly basic but is still kicking it after 25
years.....~: rough yard...some places I have to jam the old monkey
wards under brush etc.... and lots of hilly uneven spaces...mower is on
a 30 degree incline sideways during most of its use...and I use it as
my trim mower....25 years....one of monkey wards bottom dollar
mowers....that says a lot. When that mower finally dies Im still gonna
keep it. 26 actually...bought it in 80 ..used it that summer.

getting all misty eyed...sorry.......~:

I'd probably just get the new mower.....and I'd try to do a check on it
every so often for your dad so this doesnt occur again. Maybe you could
sell the old mower and possibly make at least a few bucks for some
gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

I'd think a small engine repair shop _might_ do it for less, but will
Sears stand behind their work? I think you could probably by a
complete replacement engine for roughly $1500 and be a little ahead.

However, before I leapt into either of those scenarios, I would try
Eric's suggestion--I was going to suggest it would be worth seeing what
you could do to "unseize" it before investing a bunch as you're really
not going to be any worse off than you already are and if it doesn't
run or knocks badly or blows/burns a lot of oil you're not going to
want to spend the money on it anyway--a new one would be far better
investment. Don't know how good the mower itself is, I was never
particularly enamored of the Sears stuff I have seen, but by the time
they're putting in 25 hp engines, maybe they've built the platform up
to it. If so, and is only three years old, then the new engine if look
hard and find a decent deal might be worth it--sorta' gets to be a
judgement call on whether you'd like a whole new, shiny beastie or save
a few hundred bucks, maybe...

Anyway, bummer!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Hi,
Sorry to hear that. The engine is toast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

your best bet is to ask a small engine shop how much they would charge
to change the engine with a short block...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

I have the same mower & engine and my filter came loose also. Luckily
I noticed it before any damage was done. Point being that Sears may
have a problem with that engine (or filters) and are not telling
anyone. You might push the issue with a letter to corporate
headquarters.

I also have a Sears 18hp mower whose engine is just about wore out. I
priced parts from a small engine shop for a rebuild and they ran
approximately $1500. Thats why I bought a new mower. A new 25hp
V-twin Kohler engine from Northern Tool & Equipment costs $1700 plus
shipping - cheaper than Sears but still not worth putting on a used
mower.
Point being a rebuild of the existing engine or a new engine just isn't
worth it.

Sorry about that.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mar10" wrote in message

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

You already learned the lesson of never having Sears service anything.

I'd try a small engine guy. Some are really good at getting things going at
reasonable cost. We used to have a guy in town that did it as a sideline.
I think he just liked the challenge of making it run again as he worked so
damned cheap.

If that does not work out , you may have some luck selling it for a few
bucks (yes, someone will be interested) and buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

call local koehler dealer to price a replacement engine.

sears service is by far the most expensive way to get anything fixed.

the bend you over hold your ankles and dont even bother with KY jelly

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should be able to buy that engine for about $900 and bolt it on
yourself. Go here to find a dealer in your area.
http://kohlerengines.findlocation.com/search.aspx He'll need your spec #
serial# and any other numbers on that plate.

--
Steve Barker

"mar10" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

You run a kohler out of oil, and it probably broke at least one of the rods
in half.

--
Steve Barker

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't know how mechanically capable you are, but many times small
engines just don't have the power to really chew themselves up. It
isn't like a V-8 where you have seven others pounding on the stopped
one. I'd try; put thin oil in the crank case, atf would do, then fill
it with penetrating oil through the spark plug holes & let it sit for a
couple of days (leave the spark plugs out). Then try turning it back
and forth with a wrench a little at a time. If you begin to gain a
little, stay with it till you get full revolutions. Once it begins to
turn easier spin it with the starter till it turns easily by hand with
the plug still out, drain the crankcase change the filter and refill
with your regular oil, replace the spark plugs. If you are lucky it
should start and run now, if you are really lucky it won't knock or
smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

I had a similar problem. I found that...

1. Sears is ridiculously expensive
2. Kohler is ridiculously expensive

I wound up replacing the 18 HP Kohler with a 25 HP Tecumseh for less than
half the price of the Kohler. One source...
http://www.jackssmallengines.com

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mar10" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my shortblock
replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions. This link might be
your engine which is about $500 cheaper than Sears is quoting you.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...o de=PA-69545

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is about $750.
Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they will charge you to dis
and re-assemble the engines. It could be that it's not worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message

"mar10" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free
shipping on orders over $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:07:07 -0400, "C & E"
wrote:

Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my
shortblock replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions. This
link might be your engine which is about $500 cheaper than Sears is
quoting you.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...o de=PA-69545

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is about
$750. Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they will charge you
to dis and re-assemble the engines. It could be that it's not worth it.

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free
shipping on orders over $100.

Save sales tax in many cases, buying from the web.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my
shortblock replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions. This
link might be your engine which is about $500 cheaper than Sears is
quoting you.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...o de=PA-69545

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is about
$750. Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they will charge you
to dis and re-assemble the engines. It could be that it's not worth it.

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free
shipping on orders over $100.

Save sales tax in many cases, buying from the web.

Oren

A new one from Northern Tool runs about $1800.

http://www.northerntool.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Try www.TulsaEngineWarehousecom They were very helpful with my
shortblock replacement and tolerated my non-professional questions.
This link might be your engine which is about $500 cheaper than
Sears is quoting you.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/M...vc?Screen=PROD
&Store_Code=SEB&Product_Code=PA-69545

I don't see your engine listed but a shortblock for the 23HP is
about $750. Give them a call. Also, call a shop to see wha they
will charge you to dis and re-assemble the engines. It could be
that it's not worth it.

I don't know if all of the suppliers do this but they also have free
shipping on orders over $100.

Save sales tax in many cases, buying from the web.

Oren

Not so! On your state income tax form there is a spot for untaxed out of
state purchases. Everyone keeps track of this and puts the total when
they file. Don't you? Hell, one year I put 5 figures in the line. They
were all zeros though...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mar10" wrote in news:1153783580.871682.116450@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

Screw Sears and that obnoxious fat-ass Sears whore Bob Vila.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:11:31 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

No state tax in NV (grin). My last purchase on the web was 4K, no
shipping and no sales tax.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Default Ran oil out on riding mower -DEFINITELY!

In ,
C & E typed:
"C & E" wrote in message

"mar10" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Check with a small engine shop; that's a ridiculous price unless
the whole motor is trashed. Which is possible and in which case
you don't want to repair, you want ot replace anyway.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

In ,
Al Bundy typed:
[...]

You really want to screw BV? Or do you just like to watch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pop" wrote in news:jeMxg.10577$nh1.8568
@trndny07:

[...]

Oh great! Thanks pal...