Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Ran oil out on riding mower -

mar10 wrote:
Have a 3 year old Craftsman 25hp Kohler engine riding mower. My dad
ran it dry on oil - didn't notice that the oil filter came loose
and ran it without oil till it died (unfortunately he has vision
problems and was unable to notice this)

Anyways- Sears has diagnosed that the engine seized and wants $2200
to fix - for $100 more I can get a brand new mower.

Has anyone run into this or have thoughts as to if this could be done
more reasonably by a small engine repair guy? Or do I bite the bullet
and buy new?

Thanks

I have the same mower & engine and my filter came loose also. Luckily
I noticed it before any damage was done. Point being that Sears may
have a problem with that engine (or filters) and are not telling
anyone. You might push the issue with a letter to corporate
headquarters.

I also have a Sears 18hp mower whose engine is just about wore out. I
priced parts from a small engine shop for a rebuild and they ran
approximately $1500. Thats why I bought a new mower. A new 25hp
V-twin Kohler engine from Northern Tool & Equipment costs $1700 plus
shipping - cheaper than Sears but still not worth putting on a used
mower.
Point being a rebuild of the existing engine or a new engine just isn't
worth it.

Sorry about that.

Bob